- Mar 28, 2015
So I've ran into copying articles before, but never in a situation like this. It's easy to decide how to handle obvious content theft, but this falls into some strange grey area that I haven't touched before. I am curious what the best path forward might be base on the following:
- The company is a retailer selling products, they have a blog.
- Probably over half the articles in their blog are copied from other sites with attributions back - IE "Originally Posted on SITE" with a link back, of course posted at the bottom of the article. They republish from small blogs to forbes.
- Their site ranks #4 for the target term for the article they copied from me, I rank #20+.
- They shared the article via social, got a bunch of signals and shares. I only saw a couple visits back.
- They kept all the internal links back to my site in the article + the "citation" link at the bottom - all dofollow.
- I actually already had an inbound link from this site. Another article they copied had a link to my site in it.
- The site has a decent link profile, doesn't look too spammy - though with this practice there is a chance they might be doing some other shady stuff, though they have a growing organic traffic profile for the past year+.