Are you making life easy for your competitors with AdSense?

Degree
Not a day goes by that I don't see AdSense on a site that absolutely shouldn't have AdSense, so I figure it's worth making a thread in case someone is like "aha!"...

For example, a local dentist's site had a big 'ol adsense block on the side that was displaying ads for his competitors. Surely he'd rather have the lead than $1.00 - $5.00 for the click.

If you have a 'content site' (weird phrase, sorry) and you aren't really trying to sell anything, then adsense and similar ad networks make sense but otherwise you are giving away your most qualified, most valuable leads for next to nothing to your competitors. If you're working hard to bring in targeted, organic traffic don't pass it back out into the ether to the highest bidder, do the opposite - plug up all the holes in your site and don't let them leave without a phone call, or filling in a form, or leaving their email, or booking an appointment, or whatever the case may be.

And, of course, on the flipside...

How many of your competitors are giving away their targeted traffic for pennies? Start bidding, friends.

That's a good point, seeing people sell their own leads to their competitors for a dollar a pop.

Another one that always blew my mind was seeing Adsense on eBay.

Back