Are people more self-righteous than ever?

RomesFall

‍‍‍
BuSo Pro
Degree
I'm a liberal, probably one of the truest liberals that I know and yet more recently I've seen a growing trend of people being attacked on social media if they don't publicly support x, y or z.

This trend has also seen people getting regularly rounded on unless they preface/disclaimer every point they make. If they haven't answered a potential objection in this way before posting a response, status or thread then you already know precisely what's going to happen in response to that.

People will completely ignore the overall point of someones argument and focus on any area they can to attack them. Context is all but entirely ignored.

Prime examples: LGBT, Racial Equality etc.

I firmly believe equality & tolerance are the two most important things that we should be addressing socially right now, but I have absolutely no desire to argue about it until I'm blue in the face. Arguing with some random avatar online isn't going to solve these problems. I'm not in a position to solve these problems (who truly is?) And so I don't waste my time bothering with trying to change the minds of others. I've never encountered a person or story of a prejudiced person having their mind changed on topics as heated as the above.

Yet if you don't tell everyone constantly that you stand for whichever belief that they do (they being critical) then you'll almost definitely be berated and have your ear chewed off in a thoroughly boring conversation. Boring because you're a liberal and you don't need to be convinced of the importance of equality/tolerance.

The hypocrisy is that so many of these people would call themselves liberal, yet they want everyone to believe whatever their self-righteous values are at any given time. I sometimes wonder if they believe they are free-thinkers who are elevating above a level of control that they may believe the Fox News types are enslaved by.

I personally feel like those people are just as enslaved and just as easy to manipulate and control because they seem so ruled by emotion, so self-righteous, so full of self-importance and their ego runs their world.

Frankly it tires me out listening to them, hearing the same points spouted out over and over and over again. The boring conversations that you get sucked into by those kinds of self-righteous faux liberals because you don't want to spend all of your life arguing with 'ignorants' who don't agree with you.

Never commenting on anything anywhere because you know the point goes entirely missed and instead you'll spend your time backing up every point you make that people will take out of the context of the premise and supporting points. Just because they don't want to concede that your argument is logically sound - people literally creating new delusions to continue believing what they always have and probably always will.

In a world where the majority thinks they're right all the time, who think their opinions should matter to everyone, I'm just growing really tired of how self-righteous that people are becoming.

I know this isn't a greatly composed post, but I really find it hard to put into words how much this stuff annoys the hell out of me.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
People want to be heard to feel important. The best way is to simply listen, thank them for their opinion, and go about your day. You said it yourself, people's minds won't be changed by force or argument in 99.9% of all cases, especially those they're passionate about.

In the meantime, market that shit. :D

You have pointed out the great cultural polarity experiment.

Everything has turned into fervent extremes, toeing the line for party or cause no matter what.

There are very few exceptions in the landscape right now- politically it is insane on both sides (US), technology has some intense ongoing battles, racially (still), regionally, sports, etc.

Where are the voices of reason? Beaten down.

As for equality & tolerance it appears whoever gets the advantage sticks it to the weaker or more vulnerable party. Lies and untruths, out of context soundbites and quotes, anything to be a winner. Marketing.

Enter the troll. Whether it's online, media, wherever- the shills getting attention to the cause, positive or negative as long as they get their 15 minutes. Those that feed the flames of discontent and motivate those passionate folks to even crazier heights.

Everyone is special. Everyone is right because they are so educated, Everyone gets a fucking medal.

Your mind is yours, your thoughts are yours, your actions are yours, the company you keep is your choice, what you read, watch and listen to are- yup, your choice.

It doesn't mean we should only expose ourselves to the things we believe (selective exposure), or have been conditioned to believe. Now more than ever it is important to think critically, empathize with others (even the ones we're convinced are wrong).

We need to take control of our thoughts, our destiny, seek honorable and decent endeavors- teach these things, lead.

I just don't engage in arguments that aren't seeking a solution or compromise but instead are seeking to win. You know the situations immediately when they arise. If there's nobody there, there's nobody to get mad at but the mirror as they expose their own reflection.

I do find it humorous that people will take some wildly extreme stance just to ostracize themselves so they can play the victim role. People find empowerment by being victimized (which is laughable in itself) because other weaklings come out of the woodwork to validate them. They feel good in numbers and can't stand alone.

"I identify myself as a transexual/wolf-kin/whatever other nonsense people are coming up with and will chemically, physically, emotionally, and psychologically warp myself in order to feel special. But don't make me feel special. Make me feel equal. But remember, I'm special."

I just don't engage in arguments that aren't seeking a solution or compromise but instead are seeking to win. You know the situations immediately when they arise. If there's nobody there, there's nobody to get mad at but the mirror as they expose their own reflection.

I do find it humorous that people will take some wildly extreme stance just to ostracize themselves so they can play the victim role. People find empowerment by being victimized (which is laughable in itself) because other weaklings come out of the woodwork to validate them. They feel good in numbers and can't stand alone.

"I identify myself as a transexual/wolf-kin/whatever other nonsense people are coming up with and will chemically, physically, emotionally, and psychologically warp myself in order to feel special. But don't make me feel special. Make me feel equal. But remember, I'm special."

I agree, I just don't engage with these people at all.

I find it frustrating actually that there is a sheep-like mentality with regard to morals, especially at the moment where as you rightly say people are all validating each other constantly. It's a little bit dangerous if anything... I'm sure that the NAZI' party validated themselves constantly and it seems to affect peoples decision making. The old pat on the back is observable even in the army today... "Hey it's okay that you raped that Iraqi girl because we all do it".

Social validation seems to make people think they are right in doing / believing whatever it is they do / believe.

I also think a lot of people are now happily making themselves the villain all in the name of 'equality'... I hear things like 'heterosexual privilege'. What the hell does this mean? I mean I get what they mean, but really that's totally ridiculous when their counter argument is that people who aren't can't help it because they're born that way.

Inverse racism seems to be another, white people hating on white people. Everyone is a person, this is obvious and so you should treat everyone the same as you would anyone else. So why do these 'advocates' for racial equality treat other ethnicities differently? How can you spend 90% of your time watching what you say and do to a ridiculous degree and say you still treat that person the same as someone of your own race? It's still racism and it's sickening really that they hold the moral high-ground in terms of others validating them.

I agree that there are things that may be offensive to say or do in the presence of someone from a different background, but nonetheless that is true of class issues as well. Do we say "Hey sir you can't buy that Lamborghini because there's a gentleman out back who can only afford a beat up old Ford". No.

The world I feel is going very mad, and equality and libertarianism is by its very nature something that these people are very much the opposite of in many ways and yet they truly believe that's what they are... It's more like a Jane Goodall situation, except we're watching psychology and sociology unfold in real time thanks to the internet. Is human nature inherently rational/good enough for this retarded shit to stop happening? I really doubt it at this point.

We're a race that takes for granted what we have... The wheel, electricity, the internet... All of these things were provided by a few exceptional people, and even some of the greatest inventors were douchebags.

In general most of us would still be living in caves and flinging shit at the walls if it wasn't for a handful of people.

So when the majority goes one way I tend to look more closely at the other. In this case we're seeing a sociological decline that's only matched by other civilizations close to a great collapse. I guess it might be hard to see this for a lot of people, because of a lot of the 'positives' we can see going on. Problem is when you do/say the right things for the wrong reasons it doesn't really count.

Last edited:
I don't think it has gotten any worse. I think, like you said, we can just watch it more intimately thanks to the internet putting all of the information at our fingertips. I say it hasn't gotten any worse because this has happened countless times before, again as you mentioned, with the fall of all of the great empires. They bloated, stressors diminished, free time and free thinking grew, liberalism always sought the next level of liberty, non-traditional sexual orientations and fetishes grew, power corrupted the economy, military expansionism over-spent the economy, on and on, until it falls.

I know this isn't a greatly composed post, but I really find it hard to put into words how much this stuff annoys the hell out of me.

It will only annoy you if you pay attention to it. For example Ryan Holiday (author of Trust Me I'm Lying) did a ton of campaigns to troll individuals - you are unwittingly becoming one of the pawns in an elaborate marketing scheme that is designed to create content on these websites, increase their average user on time on site, and reduce their bounce rate.

Ask yourself do you really need to be on XYZ website once a day or everyday? When major serious events happen are you eventually told about them? Why waste time participating in a charade when you literally know the polarity is designed to create reactions and generate revenue (Polarizing Content).

You may not realize this but that troll is probably being paid on that website you are visiting to create conversations. Why waste time in online arguments? 5 years from now will anything said matter? Or even 2 years from now or 2 weeks from now? You could have taken that time to do something constructive like work on your business ideas or learn a new skill. Try turning off the news on TV and not visiting the news websites for a week - notice how nothing significant changed in the world during that week. It's one thing to go to a site to be entertained, it's another to waste time arguing with people that just ends up draining you and keeps you from doing things that will further your life goals.

It will only annoy you if you pay attention to it. For example Ryan Holiday (author of Trust Me I'm Lying) did a ton of campaigns to troll individuals - you are unwittingly becoming one of the pawns in an elaborate marketing scheme that is designed to create content on these websites, increase their average user on time on site, and reduce their bounce rate.

Ask yourself do you really need to be on XYZ website once a day or everyday? When major serious events happen are you eventually told about them? Why waste time participating in a charade when you literally know the polarity is designed to create reactions and generate revenue (Polarizing Content).

You may not realize this but that troll is probably being paid on that website you are visiting to create conversations. Why waste time in online arguments? 5 years from now will anything said matter? Or even 2 years from now or 2 weeks from now? You could have taken that time to do something constructive like work on your business ideas or learn a new skill. Try turning off the news on TV and not visiting the news websites for a week - notice how nothing significant changed in the world during that week. It's one thing to go to a site to be entertained, it's another to waste time arguing with people that just ends up draining you and keeps you from doing things that will further your life goals.

@CCarter Agree man! I guess it's hard to tune some of this out when you're promoting constantly on YouTube, Tumblr, Facebook and the like. I'll have to focus more on tuning it out and ignoring it.

I've never been one for the news either, I don't even have a TV anymore which is the best thing I've done in the last 5 years for my sanity. What you imbibe and all that.

It's easier to be an echo, than to have an original thought.

Why waste any time talking with those that have no original thoughts of their own? Considering the sheer percentage of people that applies to, that'll leave a significant percentage of your time free for other more important endeavors.

Don't even waste time on it man. Focus on your own goals. Life is far too short to be fretting about this sort of trivial bullshit.

The question you should ask yourself is "What do I need to do next?" - it's the only question you need to ask.

The rest is details.

This quote, supposedly by Eleanor Roosevelt, I don't know, haven't bothered to confirm, but:

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
That's always stuck with me.

Great minds discuss the hustle, how to get there, how to help others, how to grow, etc.
Average people talk about the news.
Stupid people keep up with celebrity gossip and the gossip of their social circle.

I've never been one for the news either, I don't even have a TV anymore which is the best thing I've done in the last 5 years for my sanity. What you imbibe and all that.

I cut the cord in 1999. Have not had live television in my house since then. I don't miss it at all and when I do see it at other peoples houses it generally just pisses me off. I think because I've been away from it for so long, and CHOOSE what I want to watch instead via netflix or download I get really resentful when I am forced to listen/view garbage that I have no interest in, ie adverts or nonsensical programs that I did not choose specifically for my entertainment. My brain basically has a litany of 'I DON'T FUCKING CARE!' going on when I see live television.

I cut the cord in 1999. Have not had live television in my house since then. I don't miss it at all and when I do see it at other peoples houses it generally just pisses me off. I think because I've been away from it for so long, and CHOOSE what I want to watch instead via netflix or download I get really resentful when I am forced to listen/view garbage that I have no interest in, ie adverts or nonsensical programs that I did not choose specifically for my entertainment. My brain basically has a litany of 'I DON'T FUCKING CARE!' going on when I see live television.

I gave it up years ago too - probably around the time I got back from Thailand, when I was around 22 years old.

I've always thought; it's great to know about every fucking thing that happens on earth, and plenty of people love this - they know a lot of shit about a lot of shit.

What revenue is that producing?

Back