Are expired domains still viable option to rank new domain?

matora97

BuSo Pro
Degree
I am just starting and with a small budget of only $500 I wanted to know is it okay if I have a new domain that I bought of namecheap and build a pbn around it with 5 expired domains because I can get them for cheap 10-20 $ or do I have to buy an aged domain and build my pbn around it

You can do it and it wont be a problem, just make sure that the 5 expired domains are still indexed in google, couse if they are not google treats them as a brand new domain when they "find" it again meaning all the power of the expired domain is lost and you might as well have bought a new one.

Is there a reason you are set on a private blog network?
I have never owned my own network, but it seems to be a relatively expensive process to pull off properly in 2017 - you are going to need separate hosting accounts, a decent source of content etc etc, and any expired domains bought for essentially reg fee are unlikely to be worth much.

It's not like you "have to do" anything, everything is art of possible. Of course it's better to take an aged domain with powerful backlinks, but the price itself is irrelevant, only backlinks matter.

The way I see it, with most things, it's not "do expired domains work?".. it's --> "will THIS expired domain work?" Case by case basis. Some will, some won't.

I agree with Potatoe. If you buy 20, expect surprises with 5 of them. Sometimes there's issues even the pro's can't anticipate. Some you can work through, some you can't. At a low level sometimes it's better to forget it, eat the loss, and buy more. It's all a part of that game.

As always, I'd recommend being a marketer and allowing the whole net to become your PBN.

Yes, if you make sure they're not spammed, rookie stuff really. Look at any 'spammy' niche guaranteed those guys are doing it, and everything else to rank!

As Matt Diggity was showing in a case study: put your PBN sites up but DO NOT link from them for 36 days or you will most likely hurt your money site. It seems to be a filter that Google has put against SEO with expired domains. So put your PBN sites up, put new content (or the old one from waybackmachine) and wait 36-40 days then go back and insert your links to your money site! In this way you can avoid most of the toxicity of new PBNs (even if your metrics are decent you will hurt your money site if you link from the PBN site as soon as you put it up)
Another point is: DO NOT force Google to reindex the domain, this is another SEO filter! Use the videositemap method for fast indexing (it is still working).

My experience is totally different i link soon as site is up. Wouldn't 'recommend' anyone else to do this though, but I don't pussy around with waiting xx days. Really nice guy but I dont rate anything he says btw.

I definitely wouldn't get into PBN and expired domains in general as a noob in 2017. Imo, it requires a great deal of managerial skills to even keep on top of it. Maybe that's your strenght, maybe it isn't. I think the added quick boost is great of course, but also a false sense of achievement. Better off learning to drive traffic from social media and other avenues while waiting for rankings. What did you actually learn from buying an expired domain which translates into anything? Not much.

Thanks everyone for your replies, as some have mentioned here I am also thinking that pbn network might not be the best option for me but as a complete noob in SEO I don't really see a better option that isn't more expensive than this.

Thanks everyone for your replies, as some have mentioned here I am also thinking that pbn network might not be the best option for me but as a complete noob in SEO I don't really see a better option that isn't more expensive than this.

Despite what some would have you believe, you don't buy your way into SEO or rankings. You market your way into rankings and you learn your way into SEO. Neither requires money, just a willingness to not take the easy way out (which, in SEO's case, nearly always ends up in disaster).

I can list off some better options that will cost you nothing but time and effort, that will build you links, social media signals, and get traffic:
  • Post on social media sites (Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest)
  • Post on related forums (relevant links from relevant content that sends interested traffic that gets your brand known, who then end up sharing your stuff on social media sites)
  • Post blog comments (same as above)
  • Build relationships with others in your niche and promote each other (social media, guest posts, forums, etc.)
  • Make sure your site is amazing and do a large outreach campaign to everyone in your niche (links, branding, relationships).
  • Make a post about a topic that isn't in your niche but spin it so that it is and then do outreach to everyone in the other niche (Top 10 video game houses, gets video game site links to a real estate site like Movoto does)
  • Break some news or pretend to and pitch tips to news sites.
That's off the top of my head. What you have to do is stop thinking of things as an SEO play, but as a business and marketing play, and all of the off-page SEO will take care of itself. If you can do on-page SEO and do some marketing, it's game over for everyone else in your niche in time.

Had a long discussion with a friend of mine that relied on ranking by 301'ing expired domains to his domains and was doing wonderfully well until a couple of months ago. He said he just woke up to an update from Google which dropped the traffic across all of his sites by 70%. I wouldn't ideally suggest for this to be your go-to option. Like Ryuzaki said, you have a whole load of options in front of you to keep a cleaner website profile in the eyes of Google - it's not worth risking it anymore.

You don't need money to get your purpose. Money is a shortcut, not the only way.

What you really need is to work, to work really hard at it. Hard Work, Perseverance and Patience are the keys to success, and yours is the decision to take them or not. @Ryuzaki has given you the steps to follow, now it's you who have to work on them.

Back