Anyone Use Canva?

bernard

BuSo Pro
Degree
Anyone use Canva yourself?

I was thinking I might be able to use it for Instagram/Pinterest posts and blog post headers, but I am always reminded I have no design ability.

Tried to use it the other day, but don't think the AI functionality is as good as advertised, but maybe I'm not using it correctly?

I use Canva for all my featured images and YouTube thumbnails.

My big reason for using it is the ease of use of the editor. Just simple things like aligning elements, adjusting colors, etc. have a steep learning curve in most graphic editors. Canva simplifies most of it. And their background remover is amazingly good at what it does.

The "AI" features are mostly pointless (as are most AI features in most products if we're being honest).

My biggest disappointment with Canva is their bulk editor. You can't bulk insert images without selecting them individually in the editor, which makes it almost pointless for pSEO projects unless you just swap out text..

Canva is also more limited in advanced editing than apps like Photoshop. It creates simplicity by being opinionated (The mac method). If you want to go outside of the "canva way", everything becomes harder and some things aren't possible.

I use it for featured images, youtube thumbnails, and am also planning on rolling it out via Instagram and maybe TikTok (does that work?).

I don't use any of the AI features. Instead, I take a templated approach and just change the relevant text and background images.

This templated approach probably isn't best-in-class but it keeps things consistent while also putting out an image that has never been indexed before with relevant text as well.

Bonus: It's also something that can be totally outsourced to a VA/team member with limited ways to screw it up.

I don't use any of the AI features. Instead, I take a templated approach and just change the relevant text and background images.
Interesting. That templated approach is exactly where Canva failed me. It's decent for templating with text, but the images were always a problem. I had to go to Placid for that since their API lets me upload images in bulk, choose how images of different aspect ratios are handled, etc.

Interesting. That templated approach is exactly where Canva failed me. It's decent for templating with text, but the images were always a problem. I had to go to Placid for that since their API lets me upload images in bulk, choose how images of different aspect ratios are handled, etc.
Which platforms are you posting on?

I'm running text overlays so I don't care that much about the image (though each background image is unique) and I'm also not posting on Insta or TikTok with Canva images (yet). So, when I get to creating images via Canva for those platforms I may change up the approach if needed.

Which platforms are you posting on?
YouTube (thumbnails only) and my blog (featured images mostly), the latter of which get repurposed to Facebook and Twitter. I haven't templated my videos yet, but ideally the same process will work for all the platforms I post my shorts to: YouTube, TikTok, IG, and FB.

Can you spell it out for the clueless people like?

Do you use one template for all posts and just change up the image? What do you search for in Canva?

@bernard

I have five different templates depending on where it is being used. Let's take "blog post featured image" as an example.

If you don't already have a template, here's the rundown:
  1. Log into Canva
  2. Click the "Create a Design" button top right
  3. Bottom of the menu click "Custom size"
  4. Set the size you want
  5. Left menu click "Text" then click "Add a heading"
  6. Customize and format your heading
  7. Left menu click "Uploads" and upload a background image
  8. Resize and format your image
  9. Click the "Share" button (top right) to download
That's your template.

Now every time you log in you can just go to "Projects" and your template will be there. Update the template by changing the text and/or image. You're all set.

Do you use one template for all posts and just change up the image?
Missed this above. Generally, yes. But I also use a different template for certain categories of content.

@bernard

I have five different templates depending on where it is being used. Let's take "blog post featured image" as an example.

If you don't already have a template, here's the rundown:
  1. Log into Canva
  2. Click the "Create a Design" button top right
  3. Bottom of the menu click "Custom size"
  4. Set the size you want
  5. Left menu click "Text" then click "Add a heading"
  6. Customize and format your heading
  7. Left menu click "Uploads" and upload a background image
  8. Resize and format your image
  9. Click the "Share" button (top right) to download
That's your template.

Now every time you log in you can just go to "Projects" and your template will be there. Update the template by changing the text and/or image. You're all set.

Missed this above. Generally, yes. But I also use a different template for certain categories of content.

Thanks.

How do you decide on what the text should look like and should there be some kind of overlay effect and so on?

It sounds like you're doing a very basic template? The point is, that I have no clue what looks good or not. I mean, the overlay black with some opacity and white text is what I have managed to do, but there are all kinds of different options right?

Thanks.

How do you decide on what the text should look like and should there be some kind of overlay effect and so on?

It sounds like you're doing a very basic template? The point is, that I have no clue what looks good or not. I mean, the overlay black with some opacity and white text is what I have managed to do, but there are all kinds of different options right?
In that case, I wouldn't suggest using the search functionality... head over to templates (left menu) and keep scrolling until you find the category that's relevant to you.

I don't know if they have "Featured Image" templates but they do have FB posts, YT thumbnails, FB covers, etc... if you're looking for a basic featured image, the YT thumbnails might be a good place to start.

Then, same approach as above, click "Customize" and you can change the image/text, etc.

Ok, I tried messing around, but I have to be honest, I will never be able to do this, I do not have single design bone in my body. It's literally like reading a foreign language.

Let me try with a different question:

If you are to hire someone to make blog images and images for social media, how would you approach hiring them?

The first I consider are Fiverr and Upwork. My experiences with Upwork have generally been good.

The thing is, I want to hire someone to make their own design decisions based on my wavering and uncertain input, but I know from experience that this usually leads to poor results, particularly with cheap designers.

With cheap designers, I've found they are able to make good quality, but only if specifically directed, almost down to the detail.

I suppose you can do the same here, give them several examples of what you like.

On the other hand, you can get someone western educated who takes being a "designer" seriously and will look at your site, product all that and create a brand identity. They also won't be cheap.

Any input on how to find and test cheapish designers who have a design mindset, not just photoshop/canva skill?

If you are to hire someone to make blog images and images for social media, how would you approach hiring them?

Any input on how to find and test cheapish designers who have a design mindset, not just photoshop/canva skill?
I have a college student who does this for me for $150 per month. I found her on Instagram. She was a fan of the blog and I liked the graphics on her account so I hit her up.

I will say that working with college students has drawbacks. Namely communication. She sometimes drops the ball on things, misses emails, doesn't read the post she's supposed to share, but she's a college student so I understand that lifestyle.

I use Canva for making featured images and watermarking shit. I'm happy with it but I'm also the furthest thing from a graphic designer.

I skipped it and went to Fiverr again.

$6 pr. featured image (3 variations, so can use in article too), very good quality.

I found Fiverr designers are excellent, but only if you give them examples to work from. If you let them freewheel it, then I haven't seen good results. I guess that goes for all design work, that you should let people know what you want, but more so with Fiverr. If you're specific, then they seem to be both cheap and good.

Canva is great for simplicity and easy of use tbh. I find Photopea to be much more powerful though since it has a free online photoshop and adobe illustrator UI.

Back