Anybody using RevContent, Taboola etc as a publisher here?

Degree
It makes the site so ugly with the same skin and diet offers or flashlight again and again, taking up a huge chunk of real estate.

How much are you actually making from there? For all the space it takes up, it barely makes 10% of adsense when I tried on a niche viral site. Kinda makes the site look extra spammy but everybody is still using it. Any of you making good extra income from that?

I've used various native ads. They aren't supposed to match Adsense earnings, nor will they. They are an incremental source of revenue. You'll make worthwhile money from it when you have high levels of traffic.

If you're doing a viral site, what does it matter if it looks spammy? Viral sites are spammy.

The goal of a viral site should be to suck as many pageviews out of a single user on one article before getting them to bounce. Use pagination to get more views out of CPM ads and then try to get them to bounce through a CPC ad.

Those ads are definitely ugly and barely ever relevant. I'd never use them on a site where I respected my user enough to not show them something ugly and barely relevant. Those types of ads are without a doubt the new bottom-rung of monetization. There's a reason you only see them on content based sites that have nothing to sell.

I Know they won't match the earnings, but my point was is it worth it. If you already have adsense running, what with Facebook deleting spamming links from complaints et al, isn;t it risking more for 5-10% extra revenue is all I am asking? Basically for long term health of adsense health and facebook page health unless you own the fb pages.

Anyway my question was if some of you are making significant earnings from it. (as a percent of totals)

I've had revcontent RPM's be roughly equal to Adsense on some days, but that's rare. Usually adsense is about half, and everything else is about half, before you reach the point of diminishing returns where it starts to eat into Adsense more than it adds.

I Know they won't match the earnings, but my point was is it worth it.

That's something you'll have to tell us. For every site you see using it, there are 2 conclusions you could gather... 1) That it's worthwhile, or 2) That they're incompetent and shooting themselves in the foot.

The overall site that you're running, the specific pages you're getting traffic from, your main audience demos, that'll all play a role in whether it's worth it for your site or not. I'm using them, you can decide whether I'm #1 or #2 :D

Taboola was good for me about 18 months, now I only use it for internal recommendations. CPM went to shit where it didn't make sense and I'd rather get more pageviews out of people.

About to test RevContent though

Taboola just threatened me with legal action for taking their widget off my site.

Taboola just threatened me with legal action for taking their widget off my site.

Taboola has offered higher payouts in exchange for exclusive contracts. I imagine something like that is in your terms?

Haven't seen any cases of them enforcing/winning in court on it though yet.

To answer your question simply. Yes, we make a decent percentage from content ads on some sites. Adsense can do amazingly on many sites but never did as well on some types of sites, content networks tend to do alright on those sites.

Hey Mike,

I wish.. the RPMs were nose diving, had them on for a year and finally swapped them out for Content.ad which is doing really good - like x3 the RPM of Taboola.

I've emailed them back saying suck it in so many words.

Lets see...

Interesting. My internal reco widgets I was just talking about are now all paid external recos, happened 24 hours ago. Taboola made the change. They must be housecleaning...

Content.Ad also always did worse than Taboola for me.

I told them to back the fuck off and they have and apologised profusely. Cc everyone on an email and call out the person who started the shit :wink:

Content ad is running x3 taboola rpms for me

MrMedia aka THE MAD DOG of BuSo!

Interesting. My internal reco widgets I was just talking about are now all paid external recos, happened 24 hours ago. Taboola made the change. They must be housecleaning...

Content.Ad also always did worse than Taboola for me.

I was wondering about that. A while back I asked my rep to change my Taboola widget to all internal. They said they couldn't do that because it had to be fair to both parties. I thought that was silly, but whatever. So was surprised to read that you were able to do all internal.

I told them to back the fuck off and they have and apologised profusely. Cc everyone on an email and call out the person who started the shit :wink:

Content ad is running x3 taboola rpms for me
Were you on a year to year auto-renewing contract? Presumably you didn't give notice you intend to terminate as you should and so someone thought they could threaten you.

Interested as I have that contract and would be good to know if I want to remove them completely.

Were you on a year to year auto-renewing contract? Presumably you didn't give notice you intend to terminate as you should and so someone thought they could threaten you.

Interested as I have that contract and would be good to know if I want to remove them completely.

No man no contract. I was careful when I signed up so I knew I was on solid ground. I had to e sign on a wufoo form when I joined and it struck me as being extremely amatureish for such a large company

OK you must have joined at the start! I had a proper contract

Back