AngularJS and SEO

Degree
We've built our latest site in Angular JS.

I'm wondering about the impact that it has on our SEO. I swear it's holding back progress.

We use Prerender to serve up the data to Google.

Does anyone have an experience using Angular? Any learnings you'd be able to share?

I don't have an answer for you, but I've wondered this as well. Google sponsors Angular if I remember correctly, so you would assume they have methods for indexing the site correctly.

I would imagine that if you're using a REST API and have all your URLs listed in a sitemap, Google should be able to find and index all your content. What I would worry about is if there is any content that isn't loaded by default but rather as a response to a user action on a specific page.

Anyway, interested to hear any experienced answers to this as well.

I wouldn't worry about it. Google has been increasingly and more effectively crawling and understanding JS since at least 2009, and IIRC, even a few years before that. It's been my experience that they've improved substantially in the past 3-4 years, to the point where I don't really see any issues from it. Except for maybe the few nutjob developers out there that have hacked their code up in some pretty atrocious ways that are entirely incomprehensible.

If you're using a common framework, and particularly one supported/founded by Google, and if you are coding in a relatively idiomatic manner as the language may have been designed/codified for, you most likely won't see any issues. This isn't Shockwave. :wink: Pretty much, if someone wants to have any form of functionality or interactivity on their site, they're going to increasingly need to utilize some form of JS for the foreseeable future.

Back