Analytics question about entry pages

Degree
Hi - I have got google analytics setup on an ecommerce site.
I am seeing more and more that the entry page when I go to
aquisition > overview > organis search
and then press landing page
That one of the pages that has conversion on it (sales) is a cart page.
This means people are searching for the site and coming in on the shopping cart entry page? My shopping cart does not load if there is not something already in the cart it would give you an error.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on ?

Thanks

Can you find out the IP of those users and then go back and follow their user journey? Maybe they're filling up and abandoning the cart but bookmarking it or something and then coming back. Or leaving the tab open for a long time and going idle and coming back (I'm not sure how Analytics handles such a scenario though).

Is there a way you can modify (or have it modified) your software to not throw an error on empty cart? Maybe just a message that says "Your cart is empty"? It's normally not a good idea to expose errors to the public unless there's an actual exception. Having designed several e-commerce systems myself and working with clients that run online stores, users visiting a "/my_cart" page with nothing in the cart is a pretty common occurrence and not something you want to throw an error on. Many users will see that error and think something is wrong with your site (e.g. "I wonder what else is wrong).

As for the analytics and people entering your cart after search, I'd recommend putting the cart portions of your site (checkout too) in your robots.txt so it doesn't get crawled.

Back