Amazon in Trouble Cause of Counterfeiting

Tay

Degree
Ever since the Amazon Washington Post started attacking Trump - you knew at some point the boss was going to hit back. Here comes trouble!

• President Trump just issued landmark anti-counterfeiting regulations.
  • The new customs framework addresses the problem of counterfeit goods. It will put Amazon on the hook for policing counterfeit goods.
  • The Trump administration’s move fundamentally threatens Amazon’s operating cost structure and its long-term growth strategy.

[..]

And the DHS clarifies what it means by “encouragement” a couple subheadings later in its report. It will use a combination of “Civil Fines, Penalties, and Injunctive Actions.” But the new policy doesn’t stop at stronger Section 321 enforcement. The DHS also says it will be taking a more expansive view of the law:

...existing laws and administrative practices may not sufficiently define responsibilities in the e-commerce environment, including who within an e-commerce transaction bears responsibility and legal liability for illicit merchandise and other violations.

The Trump administration will now require eCommerce platforms like Amazon to turn over vast amounts of third-party vendor data for additional scrutiny.

The government says the new rules not only protect U.S. intellectual property but also ensure public safety. But national security interests are also important.

The DHS says counterfeit goods threaten U.S. national security “when introduced into government and critical infrastructure supply chains.”

Source: https://www.ccn.com/president-trump-just-delivered-a-death-blow-to-amazon/

As an Amazon Associate, I'm fine with this. Counterfeit goods get returned and make me lose commissions. I would rather people only have the option to buy the real thing.

As a citizen, I'm fine with this. Counterfeit goods are a huge problem. Real Yeezys or no Yeezys at all.

I was on the hunt for a new iPhone charging cable. I decided to get a 6 foot or 10 foot, and learned I had to get one that was MFi certified (Made For iPhone). Then I started looking at all of the options and reading the reviews.

It was very clear what was happening. There was a classic bait and switch going on. People were building up accounts with nice cables that were MFi, and once they had enough reviews in, they were dropping their price and replacing them with Chinese manufactured copies.

It went as far as them doing it with actual Apple cables. They went from selling boxed, official cables to swapping them out for lookalikes that come in a plastic bag.

Needless to say, I had to take a risk and bought two 10 footers. One worked and stil does, one worked for about a week and then started triggering "This accessory is not compatible" warnings and then it stopped working altogether after another week.

I ultimately went to Apple.com and over-paid for one I knew would work, and it did.

This isn't only revenge against Bezos, it's a legitimate concern, and it's getting ridiculous how giant companies can wipe their hands clean and blame their users, while skirting around the edges and still playing "publisher and editor and decision maker" but getting protections against these things.

________

Another issue with Amazon is their completely lax return policy. I get countless returns on four-figure items based on people essentially renting items, using them, and then getting their money back. And Amazon doesn't care.

The cost to them is minimal while it means real sellers are getting products back with destroyed packaging, dirty and in used condition, etc. I know for a fact too that you can just claim an item was lost and if your account doesn't' have a history of returns, they'll credit you the money back from the seller, and the seller is simply assed out. They got robbed.

There's entire communities online dedicated to defrauding Amazon and Amazon sellers in this manner, and it's so easy the only thing stopping anyone is having the tiniest bit of a moral compass.

There's entire communities online dedicated to defrauding Amazon and Amazon sellers in this manner, and it's so easy the only thing stopping anyone is having the tiniest bit of a moral compass.

Laws (and rules) only keep the honest people honest.

Back