Amazon as a CDN?

Degree
Currently with MaxCDN and although not a lot of $ the bills are starting to add up.

Amazon seems attractive from a scale and price perspective.

Does anyone here use Amazon as their CDN?

I dont have much to add but i see there is a plugin that allows you to use google drive as a cdn

I'm with MaxCDN and loving it.

What's the procedure here with Amazon? Pay per month for the variable bandwidth and just hotlink your photos and whatever other files from their server? Doesn't sound like a content delivery network so much as just a 2nd host.

Are they going to copy your data to servers around the globe to serve it faster to your customer, or will it always come from the one amazon server's location regardless? Seems like you might save some money based on bandwidth, but you're going to sacrifice speed. I'd probably just as soon not use a CDN at all than to do this with Amazon, if i'm understanding it correctly.

Amazon as a CDN is cheap but it's really a hassle to deal with. I've used them to host some of my images for a blog that is getting traffic but honestly I don't see the value with their prices,speed or anything else.

I would recommend you check out a real CDN that might be a bit more per month but you should make that back in time saved not dealing with bullshit and or site speed.

Amazon has different services: S3 is for hosting and CloudFront is the CDN service.

It´s a "real" CDN: you set an origin server (you´re own host or an S3 bucket for example) and CloudFront creates copies of the assets located at the origin server. It also has location-based content delivery, that´s called the CloudFront Global Edge Network.

I´ve used CloudFront for a few years and it works fine. I haven´t used MaxCDN but the impression I got that that´s more a standardized solution, while CloudFront requieres some set up and finetuning (set caching headers ed).

The CloudFront page gives a pretty good overview of features and pricing:
http://aws.amazon.com/cloudfront/

Back