BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Degree
Is this all there all is to onpage seo?

h1 tag
title
meta description

Feels like im missing something?

Yes, you're missing skimming the tip of the tip of the tip of the iceberg. There's been many threads on the forum discussing it. The one that's easily accessible to me at the moment comes from my signature: On-Page Primer

I will say that your Title Tag, H1 tag, and your H2 tag is most of the battle in terms of being optimized for a keyword. There are other factors that you'll learn about for that as well. There are a million more factors for optimizing in regards to quality, authority, and trust, which will only help boost your keyword rankings.

In the grand scheme of things, yes, meta tags are still one of the primary on-page factors. Even to date, in some niches, I've seen ranking improvements pretty consistently within 24-48hrs of simply tweaking a page title and meta description to move keywords to the front of the tag, while still sounding fairly natural.

Here's the thing, it's often heavily dependent on the competitive environment in a niche, as well as the algorithmic trends in a niche. In certain ones, just those minor tweaks might make all the difference in the world. In others, it might have little to no effect. In some cases, linking or social sharing may be a significant factor, overpowering all other ranking factors. In others, maybe the actual traffic, engagement, and overall "buzz" the content is getting is the difference between content that's killing it, and good content that still doesn't seem to go anywhere. Each one of those major areas, Linking Signals, Traffic & Engagement, On-Page Factors, can also get pretty deep too.

For example, looking at Traffic & Engagement, which typically comes coupled with largely user-generated linking and social sharing. You may be creating excellent content, but something is still not quite optimal with it. Is it the presentation? Maybe you simply need to tweak the appearance? Maybe creative use of typography, media, and visualizations will help better engage and retain more of those people that were bouncing. Or maybe the content just wasn't creative enough, or in the wrong tone for the audience?

None of this is anything we haven't all already heard a million times. I just mention it because, I think it's easy to get caught up with what's right in front of you, while forgetting to take a step back and just ask yourself if maybe there are some other primary factors that are exerting significant control over the ranking power within a niche or particular content area.

Back