Affiliate Best X Articles On A an Ecommerce Site Viable?

tyealia

BuSo Pro
Degree
Hello everyone, I recently picked up a client that has an ecommerce site that has a dr of 25 and ranks pretty well for some general ecommerce product terms and categories of the products. It currently has no Best X content. The owner has asked my opinion on creating best x content.

The site is a shopify site so there is no real url manipulation the url will be blog/best x. Now I know for ecommerce intent terms google shows ecommerce pages and for alot of best x keywords amazon is sneaking into the rankings mixed with purely affiliate blogs.

Is it viable to create a bunch of blog/best x content with internal linking relevant articles and optimize? Are there any risks on a ecommerce site in doing this?

My only possible negatives I can see are.....

1. Google wont rank the pages as high since it will see my site as an ecommerce site and the keyword has affiliate sites ranking/ affiliate intent keyword(not even sure if this is a big thing, since amazon ecommerce and affiliate blogs jump in top 3 of our keywords back and forth)
2. I add too much info and affiliate content and google starts degrading my ranking on ecommerce pages

Another option, I see amazon usually ranks a separate bestsellers page for each best x term...for example (not the actual keyword)

Example: https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-keyboards/zgbs/photo/12909791

The SEO title they use is "Best Sellers in keyboards"

Perhaps optimizing a similar page for those strings may be the other option?

Does anyone have any experience with this particular scenario of ecommerce and could shed some light.

Cheers

It sounds like you have a blog. Google doesn't consider your eCommerce site an informational site due to that blog, you know. They rank pages, not sites (of course, that's over-simplified).

I think you'd be fine and these pages would rank based on the intent of the page matching the queries.

As far as diluting your page rank, yeah, that'll happen every time you publish a page. But each page also generates its own page rank. It won't match what you dilute, but I'm assuming you'll constantly be acquiring new backlinks and doing promotions to make up for it. I wouldn't make this a part of your consideration. Backlinks are certainly the 1st or 2nd most important factor, but Page Rank itself in only a part of the entire variable called "backlinks." And Backlinks are still only one factor of 100's.

Best product type posts typically feature a bunch of products from several vendors, which most of these pages from webshops don't do. If you're going to do such a page, you might want to consider how you can do a comparison of your product with those popping up as related in Google searches

It sounds like you have a blog. Google doesn't consider your eCommerce site an informational site due to that blog, you know. They rank pages, not sites (of course, that's over-simplified).

I think you'd be fine and these pages would rank based on the intent of the page matching the queries.

As far as diluting your page rank, yeah, that'll happen every time you publish a page. But each page also generates its own page rank. It won't match what you dilute, but I'm assuming you'll constantly be acquiring new backlinks and doing promotions to make up for it. I wouldn't make this a part of your consideration. Backlinks are certainly the 1st or 2nd most important factor, but Page Rank itself in only a part of the entire variable called "backlinks." And Backlinks are still only one factor of 100's.

Thank you for the reply Ryu. I think I will go ahead with the blog best page and see how it turns out. This is a great note that pages not the entire site is what has the microscope over it, I was overthinking the impact of the entire site being ecommerce.

Best product type posts typically feature a bunch of products from several vendors, which most of these pages from webshops don't do. If you're going to do such a page, you might want to consider how you can do a comparison of your product with those popping up as related in Google searches

This is a great point. However you should keep in mind the ecommerce store has products from different vendors so there is variety there not just Best keyboards article from logitech and all keyboards are logitech brand well have microsoft, razor, other brands, etc.

Worth a shot, I've seen ecommerce sites doing this with "X vs. Y" articles successfully.

I see this often with internal links to the product pages instead of affiliate links to other vendors. I rarely see one that has had effort done to promote it though.

I'd suggest taking a look at the competition to see how many links you'll need to be in the mix if you haven't already. Best X for Y type posts are usually competitive.

Back