Advice needed: Self hosted mailing list manager

Golan

BuSo Pro
Degree
Where to migrate from Mailchimp?

Basically i need only 1) mailing list manager - subscriptions, sign up - sigh out, ideally user can change his list; 2) email editor. Sending will be done via Mailgun.

And as cheap as possible, volumes are really low.

Sendy is your friend. I'm not sure about Mailgun though. Sendy might be exclusively with Amazon SES, which is dirt cheap, probably cheaper than Mailgun, and ridiculous to set up. Sendy sets it up for you for the most part. I managed to set up Amazon SES for sending myself, but trying to work out the notifications for bounces and CTR metrics was absurd. When I got Sendy they set that up for me somehow with the installation.

Anyways, it does what you need and has the email editor and not much more other than setting up Brands & Lists & Campaigns, which you'll appreciate for the split testing you can do.

Thank you @Ryuzaki. I just checked out Sendy and will get a license to test it out. This is what I was looking for as I'm starting to try and get serious about email marketing as my online stores grow.

Mailpoet nowadays
It's a piece of sh*t software. Before the Mailpoet rebranding (used to be called wysija-newsletters) they had a major exploit that allowed thousands of it's installed to be compromised and lead to a massive amount of spam being sent through that exploit; Another reason why I hate wordpress and wordpress plugins, since there really is no way of knowing whether the programmer/coder is even good enough to know how to secure their own plugin.

It ended up putting 3 of my domains on several major spam lists and it took a ton of work to undo the damage and get all the domains removed from each major spam list. Here is an article about it: MailPoet Vulnerability Exploited in the Wild – Breaking Thousands of WordPress Sites

An article on their own blog talking about the potential clean up: How to clean your hacked website

Another: WordPress Plugin Wysija Newsletters - Multiple SQL Injections

Another: Remote File Upload Vulnerability in WordPress MailPoet Plugin (wysija-newsletters)

This wasn't a small situation, it impacted millions of websites that started sending spam. So yeah, let this be yet ANOTHER lesson in what happens when you download and install random plugins - even ones that are from 'legit' sources. You have no way of verifying whether there is a potential problem, exploit, or bug awaiting you; due to the way plugins work, this one allowed for file uploads of malicious code, the malicious code in most scenarios (mine) were designed to simply use the server to send out spam to billions of email addresses.

Finding and hunting down the code meant going through file by file and looking at the modified dates of files OR simply deleting the server images and doing fresh installs of new OSes. the files uploaded were not simply within the wordpress installs in some scenarios.

It could have been A LOT worse. This code was designed to make profits for the spammers. If an exploiter really wanted to they could have deleted all files and databases on the servers or done other nefarious things.

Back