Adsense Publishers now must collect E.U. user's consent before Cookie drops

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
The European Union has been implementing rulings that seem directly aimed at Google, such as the "Right To Be Forgotten" one where you can do online reputation management by having Google drop bad listings out of the index.

This new one is related to new Cookie Compliance regulations. To help publishers out, Google has created this site: http://www.cookiechoices.org/ ...

"These tools include code that website publishers can use to inform visitors about their cookies, as well as those that can be used to directly obtain consent, like splash screens, notification bars, or one-time, pop-up alerts that can be used on mobile apps."

This is most definitely going to affect any publisher in the E.U. But what about USA based sites that receive E.U. traffic?

I'm of the opinion that these type of rulings can suck my balls. Apparently it's costing E.U. publishers "billions" in implementation costs while bringing zero benefit to normal web users, considering they can already choose to opt out of being cookied by Adsense. It's very much like VAT taxes and all this other stuff that countries want that I essentially ignore. I'm not implementing a splash screen, an overlay, a pop-up, or anything that says "hey let me cookie you." Talk about a hit in revenue.

The only way I'd consider this is if Google started negatively affecting my site's rankings in E.U. SERPs because I didn't have it. And then I'd definitely only show it to E.U. IP's.

How are you guys interpreting this?

P.S. I should mention that I do have a disclaimer's style page on most of my sites that talk about cookies, collection of data, affiliate network affiliations, control over content on outbound links, etc. I wonder if that suffices. I'm not going into a full scale investigation on the matter just yet. I'll wait for the I.M. world to catch up and shake it out for me.

I'm still in Germany on vacation, so I'll be short on this.
The European Union regulations regarding cookies have been around for a few years now. Basically, if you use cookies for anything, you need to inform your users.
Up to now, this is almost completely ignored.
I have not read the new regulations, but I would wait it out as well.

::emp::

Last time I checked I wasn't in Europe. Random countries just can't make laws and they are then arbitrarily applied to everyone on the globe, shit would be crazy. Imagine some some clown in Mississippi stating "it's illegal to but cookies from Britain", then suing people in Illinois for buying cookies from Britain, GTFO of here. The EU is slowly bleeding themselves with a thousand and one papercuts with all this paperwork and bureaucracy.

They are making it more and more impossible for the internet or internet companies to thrive within it - which means innovators will flee to places where innovation is not stifled, meaning overall less revenue, meaning higher taxes, meaning less revenue, and so on... Man I feel sorry for businesses trying to make a living in EU. Pretty soon the European businesses are going to need a digital Boston Tea Party with all this nonsense.

Although I wouldn't mind if the Queen of the Realm Natalie Dormer wants to come around in a bowler hat while wielding a billy club to force me to "comply".

e1CZMSl.gif

LKwPYRF.jpg
KJ1hCeB.jpg

Last time I checked I wasn't in Europe. Random countries just can't make laws and they are then arbitrarily applied to everyone on the globe, shit would be crazy.

The problem is Google is in Europe. So they have to comply with the law and force it onto others to the extent they are required.

They might not ban you from Adsense but I could certainly see them not showing ads to EU IPs on your site if you don't comply with this rule for EU IPs.

What this is going to do is give an opportunity for some ad networks based in Israel that will not give two shits about the EU law an opportunity to compete with Adsense more. Israel is really excelling in tech because the government actually tries to help companies succeed internationally instead of trying to find ways to screw with them in the name of consumer advocacy.

Are they going to enforce accessibility laws too I wonder.

Probably.
They also plan a massive lawsuit against google for unfair competition, since google favors their own products/services in their search results......makes you wonder if they are tageting McDonald's next for only serving their own food in their own restaurants.
as Eu citizen I wish that the bureaucracy of the european union would come to an end.

on is not stifled, meaning overall less revenue, meaning higher taxes, meaning less revenue, and so on... Man I feel sorry for businesses trying to make a living in EU. Pretty soon the European businesses are going to need a digital Boston Tea Party with all this nonsense.

Maybe that's not such a bad idea. at least we need lobbyists

How is this any different from any disclaimer that people stick at the bottom of their site or in their T&C that states. "By using this site you agree to....", which no one ever reads anyhow.

How is this any different from any disclaimer that people stick at the bottom of their site or in their T&C that states. "By using this site you agree to....", which no one ever reads anyhow.

It isn't really all that different just more annoying.
The funny thing is most goverment site in the Eu cuntries hasen't until recently abided by the cookie laws they them selfs made

The way EU "laws" work that they are binding recommendations that the member states have to put into practice.

So basically, the EU parliamnet agreed you can't use cookies without consent.
Now it is up to each member country to make this into actual applicable law in their country.
So yes, the German law regarding this could - and will - look different than the UK law.
It also means that this is the lowest common denominator - nothing keeps the countries from being stricter on it, or adding their own stuff.
With the cookie thing - up to now there is a collective shrug.

Now, no one can make your American, Russian or whatever site adhere to this.
However, after a LOT of disputes over Google Streetview, the "right to forget", and other things, even talks about a breakup of Google in the EU. Google is bending over backwards at the moment.

So can the EU make you comply? no.
Can Google fuck your shit up? yes.

Also nice article on the ongoings EU vs. Google
Long read, but worth it.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-miscalculation-on-the-eu?cmpid=BBD080615_BIZ

Not to put this feather in my cap - a sykpe user "John Snow" pointed this link out to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back