Additional monetization for a blog with 100,000 visitors/month?

Degree
Hey everyone,

This is my first thread here so feel free to throw me out if I mess anything up :smile:

I have a blog that I’ve grown to just over 100,000 visitors monthly and recently added Mediavine ads to it. It’s generating roughly $2,000/month. This is my first time in this business so I still have a lot to learn.

I’m trying to decide what’s next for the site and am considering some combination of the following. I wanted to see what you all thought and get some honest feedback.

Option #1: Info Product
There’s an idea I have that would be an obvious fit for the niche. I think I could sell an ebook/course and materials for somewhere in the $30-99 price range. Not sure what kind of conversation rate I can expect but even 50 sales a month would more than double revenue and seems plausible from that many visitors.

Option 2: Sponsorships
I had the idea to reach out to a few companies that would be a good fit for some referral links within the content. I’m still working on this but the one company I already talked to offered me next to nothing. I almost just hung up on them.

Option 3: video
I’ve considered taking all the articles and creating simple youtube videos about them. Then I could get views/ad revenue hopefully on YouTube as well as increase my rpm on media vine by having people stay onsite to watch the videos.

I’d love to hear any of your ideas/past experiences or answer any questions.

By the way, The downside of this niche, and probably why it was easy for a newcomer to get the traffic is there are basically no good affiliate offers to push.

What are the ads promoting which are earning you money? Do you know which ones have the best CTR? Do you know which pages are producing the most ad clicks per traffic?

What problems are your visitors looking to solve? What are they looking to buy/consume? Why do they visit your site?

What about physical products? Renting the pixel data to the brands?

By the way, The downside of this niche, and probably why it was easy for a newcomer to get the traffic is there are basically no good affiliate offers to push.

And, if you don't see much opportunities to scale it up, flip the site.

What are the ads promoting which are earning you money? Do you know which ones have the best CTR? Do you know which pages are producing the most ad clicks per traffic?

What problems are your visitors looking to solve? What are they looking to buy/consume? Why do they visit your site?
These are great questions. I am somewhat new to using Mediavine and didn’t see the ability to drill into that data on my dashboard. I’ll have to look into it or contact them.

As far as the problem they’re looking to solve - that is what my potential info product would attempt to solve.

These are great questions. I am somewhat new to using Mediavine and didn’t see the ability to drill into that data on my dashboard. I’ll have to look into it or contact them.
There is no CTR data provided to the publisher. Also, you only need one video to run video ads on Mediavine. You can play one video globally, though I recommend at least 2 or 3, to run globally. Let Mediavine determine which earns you the most money and they'll play them in the right order.

Hey everyone,

This is my first thread here so feel free to throw me out if I mess anything up :smile:

I have a blog that I’ve grown to just over 100,000 visitors monthly and recently added Mediavine ads to it. It’s generating roughly $2,000/month. This is my first time in this business so I still have a lot to learn.

I’m trying to decide what’s next for the site and am considering some combination of the following. I wanted to see what you all thought and get some honest feedback.

Option #1: Info Product
There’s an idea I have that would be an obvious fit for the niche. I think I could sell an ebook/course and materials for somewhere in the $30-99 price range. Not sure what kind of conversation rate I can expect but even 50 sales a month would more than double revenue and seems plausible from that many visitors.

Option 2: Sponsorships
I had the idea to reach out to a few companies that would be a good fit for some referral links within the content. I’m still working on this but the one company I already talked to offered me next to nothing. I almost just hung up on them.

Option 3: video
I’ve considered taking all the articles and creating simple youtube videos about them. Then I could get views/ad revenue hopefully on YouTube as well as increase my rpm on media vine by having people stay onsite to watch the videos.

I’d love to hear any of your ideas/past experiences or answer any questions.

for Option #1 are you planning to build that product urself? / or are u referring to being an affiliate?

Not sure about ur niche, but the right aff offers might work if that something u r willing to consider, can't comment without knowing the niche/some more general info on the type of traffic

for Option #1 are you planning to build that product urself? / or are u referring to being an affiliate?

Not sure about ur niche, but the right aff offers might work if that something u r willing to consider, can't comment without knowing the niche/some more general info on the type of traffic
Great question - I’ve looked all over for an info product I can be an affiliate for. All I’ve found is one product and honestly it’s awful. Looks like a 2008 click bank product with a matching 2008 website. So I’m considering building it myself.

I’d rather not give the niche away, but an analogy would be if there was a popular activity, say fly fishing. If I have 100,000 visits about various fly fishing content I would assume a fly fishing 101 course would do ok?

I’d rather not give the niche away, but an analogy would be if there was a popular activity, say fly fishing. If I have 100,000 visits about various fly fishing content I would assume a fly fishing 101 course would do ok?
Create a product(s) based on the needs of your target audience. Ideally, you'd have multiple courses geared towards specific sub-audiences (beginners, advanced, etc.) and a sales page for each. On each sales page, you should have a Facebook Pixel and Google Tag for remarketing/retargeting.

If you want to take things a step further, build an email list, segment the list, and then link to the ideal course for each segmented audience. Segmented audience + targeted remarketing/retargeting ads = higher conversion rate (and ROI if the math is right).

Basically, don't just create a general course in hopes of increasing revenue. Actually take the time to develop good products and to create the infrastructure needed to scale things up in the future (if you want to, of course).

Okay if the analogy is a popular activity like fly fishing do not make a course about fly fishing and definitely don't make three courses about it. If it's in the fishing and hunting space or similar you want to move into the video and sponsorship space. For example look at what people like Steve Rinella at MeatEater is doing.

No one is learning fishing or hunting from a video course - this is why the niche is so important. Videos, sponsorships, and even physical products are the a good place to look.

Back