Additional Lines of Meta in SERPs

Degree
Been noticing some SERP listings are showing what appears to be ~ 300 characters of meta vs the standard 160.

Has anyone noticed this?
G7imuCc.png

recently ive seen as many as 4 lines of meta ~ 320 characters + site links .. dont have screenshot

Im all for claiming as much real estate as possible so what exactly is going on here?

Did you check the site's code to see if it is intentional on their end? Naturally you'd assume it comes down to having more trust and authority over your competitors.

Last night I had a dream my link was taking up the whole first page lol srs

Also you can use tables of contents to get those site links

very interesting.
Thanks for the suggestion knownerror.. i did not check the source until now.

As i see it, the author/site doesnt use metadescription.
Code:
<meta name="description" content=" " />

instead they let google figure it out

Code:
<p class="title h3"><strong>Why We Wrote this Guide</strong></p>
<p>Online marketing moves at the speed of light. To keep up, you need a strong foundation with the judgment to think critically, act independently, and be relentlessly creative. That’s why we wrote this guide — to empower you with the mental building blocks to stay ahead in an aggressive industry.</p>
<p>There are plenty of guides to marketing. From textbooks to online video tutorials, you can really take your pick. But, we felt that there was something missing — a guide that really starts at the beginning to equip already-intelligent professionals with a healthy balance of strategic and tactical advice. <strong>The Beginner’s Guide to Online Marketing</strong> closes that gap.

Not sure if they meant to do that or not but the answer to my question seems pretty obvious now.

I've noticed that Google will override your meta description even if you give them one. They always take mine and jumble it up so they can bold a keyword or synonym and shove it in there. I guess that gets people clicking more than not having it in cases where you're ranking for a long-tail that you didn't put in your meta description.

Back