Accepting multiple currencies. Advantages?

Degree
Hey everyone. I'm setting up my company right now and I'm in the position to do multi-currency pricing. You can buy for $10, €10, or 580 ₱ for example.

I can use USD for my day-to-day business transactions. That's normal. I can collect EUR and use that to pay myself, as I've moved to Germany. I can collect Pesos and use that to pay my Filipino staff, but their salaries are pegged to the dollar anyways so it's not a big issue and I doubt I'll get many Filipino travellers.

So, is there any advantages to collecting and holding many currencies? Right now, with Wise, transfers are cheap AF and it's not a hassle like it used to be. For US credit card holders, at most, it'll be a 2% currency conversion fee. For people reading this who are not in the US and in a place without such a developed banking system, if a business accepts your local currency, would it save you a lot on currency conversion fees with your bank? I mean I see it for some countries but, if that is so, I don't want to hold their currency. As for Eurozone, banking here is pretty advanced.

So, is there really any advantage to accepting multiple currencies? Even the one use of it for me, to pay myself Euros, isn't even a real benefit, as it saves like €3 in transactions fees each time. The hassle of doing multi-currency accounting is more than that.

There might be a hedge against a recession by holding on to different currencies... but I don't see the point. Even if I want to use GBP to buy UK stocks, I can do that already with Schwab or any US exchange.

So... is this one of the situations where I have the ability to do something but there's really no use to do so? The only other benefit I see is that, if I collect GBP for example, and never use it, I'll just stay in the GBP bank account forever, which makes me save that money! Not that bad actually.

Also, if you're interested, Stripe, Paypal, and Wise allows for multi-currency banking. You just need to set up your payment form to bill in multiple currencies and you can do this too. Pretty awesome.

So website bills for 22₱, which is sent to Stripe/Paypal and stripe/paypal deposits 22₱ to your ₱ checking account with Wise. Done!

I'm asking because I don't know: Does accepting multiple currencies increase your sales?
I don't know either.

Some competitors take multiple currencies. Others are in USD only.

I did some research and there is one powerful use for multi-currency banking: It let choose you when you exchange your currencies. To me, this sounds powerful.

I'm still learning this so it might not be accurate but here's my idea:

In 2021, it was about $.80 to €1. Now it is about $1 to €1. In a year, the value of the USD went up by $.20 which is an increase in 25% given that it started at $.8. If I have (and I do!) USD from 2021, stuff that I buy in Euros now is also at a 25% discount. I mean, if something cost €5 a year ago, it would have cost me $6.25 to buy it in 2021. Now, since the dollar is 1:1 with the Euro, something €5 today only costs me $5. I save €1.25, which is 25% of €5.

So... Ummm... Yeah... here's the list of most traded currencies https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Most_traded_currencies . The dollar is strong right now against EUR and GBP. If I think the EUR and GBP will get stronger in the future, I can collect them now and wait.

So, let's say it is $1:€1 right now and I collect 5€. In 2023 it might go to $.8 to €1 again. So my €5 today will be $6.25 in 2023.

So... Umm... Yeah. I'm going to go and collect GBP, USD, and EUR now. I have no idea how Brexit will go but it looks like GBP is at rock bottom right now. Let's collect and hold! Same with EUR. It's weak right now against dollar. I'll just wait. EUR:GBP pairing is weird and IDK but I don't transact in GBP so I'll just hold and bet on Brexit.

Also, me having €50,000 in a bank account in the end of 2023 is not the worst problem to have IMO. It's like that one rapper who collected 10 bitcoin for his album in 2012. If he held, he's rich AF now.

I went and tested this out and even talked to Stripe support.

For US Stripe and Paypal accounts, they only allow you to add a US bank account to the system. Therefore you can only accept USD. For other countries, like Eurozone countries, you can accept DKK, GBP, SEK, CZK (?), etc.

It's just a limitation for US bank account. Disappointing. Some people would take this as America's #1 and don't need other currencies... but I wouldn't mind hedging the dollar with the EUR at least. sucks. Not having the option really sucks too. :'-(

Back