A question about VPN, Google account, and affiliate site

Degree
Hey all,

I need your opinion about something.

I have this affiliate site, that I manage trough a VPN and separate Google account. This is only when I am using Google Analytics and G+.

I want to experiment and put some of the money the site made into Adwords campaign. Now I have to make new Adwords account and some CC transactions. And because the VPN is public I don't want to use it.

I am also launching a new affiliate project that I want to put on the same Google account. This way it will be easier to manage.

My questions is. Is it a good idea to stop using the VPN and start managing through my regular IP (personal account with lots of client sites).

And how about the idea of more than one affiliate sites on single Google account - is it OK?

*The affiliate sites will have no connection between each other.

Thanks!

I would keep them separate, but then I'm also paranoid. If it was me, I would even use separate browsers, and/or separate VM's, VPS', separate VPN/proxy/IP for each, etc. Some of that may not be necessary, depending on exactly what you're doing and the degree of risk involved. What I will say is, just because you're behind a VPN, there can still be security issues and footprints with your browser, which is something to be aware of.

For example, HTTP headers. There's a lot that can be lurking in those, that most people never see or don't have a clue what they are. For certain sites, the headers may have sent cookies on your last visit. In some cases, those cookies may persist, even when changing IP's/VPN's, such that on the next visit they'll see the same cookie from you, and may be able to tell that you're likely the same user, just on a different connection.

because the VPN is public I don't want to use it.

I would setup a private VPN.

Is it a good idea to stop using the VPN and start managing through my regular IP (personal account with lots of client sites)

I guess it would depend on how shady of method you are using to get traffic. I wouldn't be concerned if it is all legit, if it is blackhat I would definitely try to seperate each to individual accounts/ip's.

Thanks for the advice.
I'll go with the private VPN.

My guess is they have all my shit in some distant corner of their database - all the cookies, requests, and IPs. And may be, it is just a matter of time, or algorithm, to get penalized. But for now I try to keep my profile legit and grey as possible.

Back