A little overwhelmed with niche choices

Degree
So far I’m on day 4 and love the content.

I am itching to get started but can’t decide on a vertical/niche as this side of things is all new to me eg content marketing to an audience.

so far 2 I have come up with that I know a lot about are:

teaching low level employees how to get into senior management quickly - this provides skills to be able to move onto becoming an entrepreneur or business owner and also more money for them and their families.

teaching busy parents about the keto lifestyle and how simple it is to lose weight and to make delicious food while continuing your busy lifestyle.

Does the niche have to be something I know a lot about? Or would I be better picking a proven niche idea eg sleep problems and researching and learning as I go?

@midlevelman I can imagine that having at least some insight and familiarity with a niche or vertical is helpful. Learning while you go is an option, but the return on investment will take longer since basically you’re “learning on the job”, so to say.

And perhaps there’s another way you can get an idea on what your particular strength is and see how you can fit that in a specific vertical or even sub-vertical.

For this you can use a SWOT analysis and ask the people around you what they believe your strength and weakness are. From this you could be either pleasantly surprised or not, but at least it should give you some valuable feedback and insights.

At the moment I can’t remember the exact page, but somewhere on BuSo (maybe even the Traffic Leaks website) @eliquid mentions this. Maybe he’s willing to chime in, as I believe that he has a whole lot more knowledge and insights than what I can write down here in half-broken, non-native sentences.

Still, I wish you all the best and I hope to see a journey thread soon.

Without diving into anything but the two you mentioned, here's how I think of them.

"Teaching low level employees to move into senior management" as a niche has drastically cut your target demographic down. Few jobs have that level of upward mobility, and even among the ones that do, few workers care. Many actively hate their bosses and do as little as possible and are disqualified from advancement anyways. Not a lot of people have that much drive. Half of the ones that do tell themselves a narrative to excuse them from attempting it. Smaller audience with a huge cashflow.

"Teaching busy people about keto"... everyone is busy and everyone cares about their health to some degree. Big audience with a lot of cash flowing.

Both could start in the ways you've mentioned and can be expanded horizontally. Both have high levels of competition but high levels of motivation and social media can play a big role too. Both can be monetized pretty well with high priced items like books, courses, audio CDs, whatever. The keto one can be a dieting / fitness site and have endless products to promote too.

Personally, I think the motivation / productivity / finance stuff is going to be a lot more competitive. You're talking about going up against guys like Tony Robbins, Tim Ferris, Grant Cardone, and other guys with huge operations and online presences. The fitness realm has room for a lot more gurus and "normal people talking to normal people" I think.

Those are my thoughts. For a first go, I'd do the keto one. There's a lot more room for error and a faster path to money.

Does the niche have to be something I know a lot about? Or would I be better picking a proven niche idea eg sleep problems and researching and learning as I go?

No, you don't have to know about it, especially if you can afford to outsource everything. If I had $500k ready to invest, I could start a site about anything by paying people to write about it, as long as I kept it impersonal and had the content at the forefront.

But if you're trying to go for a personal brand based around you as a person, you need to know about it. And fitness and dieting seems to largely require a personal brand, especially with social media. If it's a pure SEO play, then maybe not, but you'd be leaving a lot of money on the table too.

"Teaching low level employees to move into senior management" as a niche has drastically cut your target demographic down. Few jobs have that level of upward mobility, and even among the ones that do, few workers care. Many actively hate their bosses and do as little as possible and are disqualified from advancement anyways. Not a lot of people have that much drive. Half of the ones that do tell themselves a narrative to excuse them from attempting it. Smaller audience with a huge cashflow.

Love the analysis you’ve provided thank you.

How did you come up with the ideas regarding larger or smaller niche/cashflow side of things? Is that explained in this course? Or is that from being in the game so long?

Personally, I think the motivation / productivity / finance stuff is going to be a lot more competitive. You're talking about going up against guys like Tony Robbins, Tim Ferris, Grant Cardone, and other guys with huge operations and online presences. The fitness realm has room for a lot more gurus and "normal people talking to normal people" I think.

I believe in this day and age the majority of those people you have mentioned have sold out and are disregarded in terms of their expertise on anything.

Grant cardone got demolished in his chat with Jordan Belfort and has also been caught providing fake reviews and testimonials for anyone that’s will to pay $299, he’ll even give you a “personal shoutout”.

Tony Robbins released a few personal finance books and began to join the spammy side of personal development which wrecked his career, although his original content is still celebrated to this day.

Do you think there’s a way to provide this kind of motivation/productivity info on a more personal and less salesy level where you’re not only in it for the money?

So far I’m on day 4 and love the content.

I am itching to get started but can’t decide on a vertical/niche as this side of things is all new to me eg content marketing to an audience.

teaching low level employees how to get into senior management quickly - this provides skills to be able to move onto becoming an entrepreneur or business owner and also more money for them and their families.

teaching busy parents about the keto lifestyle and how simple it is to lose weight and to make delicious food while continuing your busy lifestyle.

When I first started out online, one thing that kept coming up over and over again was to make a website on something you're passionate about. The idea was that it would naturally produce more content. If you're not intimately familiar with a niche, it can be hard to really approach it with a lot of know-how. You won't know how to evaluate the new information you're seeing. All the posts you make on your website will just be guesses based on others' opinions. However, if you have real experience with the niche, then you'll know how to evaluate everything that's out there. You'll also know the experts. And your content will appear more natural and engaging.

You can also start on a whole new niche, but take a personal investment in it and read some good books on it. Develop an interest in it. Just start with one or two niches to start, maybe interrelated ones. The sites can work together in the future.

I'm sure you could make a living from both niches, but the management one, seems to be far more limited in techniques. It would basically be: blog/youtube/video -> squeeze page -> email -> ebook -> private tutoring.

It's not really authority website niche.

Back