A beginners journey - Starting from nothing

Meos

BuSo Pro
Degree
Starting from nothing
This journal will contain my plan and progress on building a second income stream.

Quick background and goals:
Mid thirties, family, $95,000/year knowledge worker. My goal is to land a $1,000,000 exit in 5 years. I will dedicate atleast 5 hours weekly (expect it to be closer to 10-15 hours / weekly) in my first 6 months.

The main threat to my objective is the lack of industry experience; no experience with programming, website-design, marketing, writing or the like.

I'm sure you're thinking one of two things: "This will never work" or "Looks like someone will be wasting a lot of money and time". With so many having embarked down this path before me, most better equipped and prepared, who never make it, why would I even try?

It's because I'm done fucking around. I will rather fail at something than not even start. If I can help someone from wasting their time by journaling my failure here it will be worth it.

First steps..
Short-term objectives (1 month):
Identify, schedule and perform the inital tasks required to:
1. Identify your WHY​
2. Qualify and quality check niche potential (pain points, monetization potential)​
3. Establish a detailed site plan/design and perform niche research (keywords/silos/platforms)​
4. Set up new site​
Medium- and long-term objectives:
Doesnt matter at this point -main objective is to just start.

---
Its a super brief first post, but its more important for me to get to work than making a perfect first impression. I look forward to updating you!

Your obstacle of not having coding or web design experience can be overcome by doing things like using Wordpress and using a trusted (and fast and not bloated) theme that stays updated, and then not trying to customize it. Just use it as is and focus on content, on-page optimization, backlinks, and promotion.

Also, don't add a ton of plugins either. You don't need all that crap. You could probably stand to use WP Super Cache and Yoast SEO. That's really all you need. The rest will serve to distract you and sabotage you.

Since you have a good income as it is, if you can afford to start with an expired and juicy domain (link to Crash Course topic) it will help you out big time. Just make sure you choose a good niche and do great keyword research. It all starts there. But choosing the right niche then finding the domain with existing links that wasn't dropped from the registry can accelerate things a good bit. I'd recommend reading the entire Crash Course to get your bearings first.

In a similar position @Meos. I am a knowledge worker who is taking a second crack at building a digital income. First website stalled at ~$150/month in revenue. My goal is to scale something to about $10-$15k rev/m over the next 18 months. Excited to watch your progress!

Back