301 redirecting expired domains to money site

Degree
Hi guys,

Do you think redirecting a relevant expired domain with already existing links to a money site is a good strategy these days?

In my own experience, it works. Although, the boost can be temporary if your site doesn't have good CTR on the SERP, and/or low engagement rate.

My advice would be to redirect to a cornerstone blog post related to the expired domain, instead of the money page directly. That way the engagement rates stays high and can push up your SERP.

This always works. Granted the domain is good enough.

Just make sure you don't redirect domain to domain; instead, make some work, scrape as many old urls as you can and redirect them to more or less relevant pages of the new site, and no redirects to the homepage.

This always works. Granted the domain is good enough.

Just make sure you don't redirect domain to domain; instead, make some work, scrape as many old urls as you can and redirect them to more or less relevant pages of the new site, and no redirects to the homepage.
I guess you could also get some extra content by doing this as well? if they had pages you didn't and you just re use that content?

I guess you could also get some extra content by doing this as well? if they had pages you didn't and you just re use that content?
I didn't talk about re-using the content. This may be not safe and many find it unethical (even for SEO standards haha). As for content, you can scrape an archive from multiple abandoned sites in the niche and shuffle it, then no old owner could find it.

What i talked about, is redirecting urls. The old post urls is what holding the link weight, not the domain itself (unless all backlinks lead to the homepage). If you don't use these urls, you just waste all the power of your drop, hence drain your money. In most cases it's impossible to re-create the url structure of an old site to use the same urls for your new site, so in this case we redirect them to relevant pages of the new site.

I just redirected a site with top links in the niche im in (many links go to the homepage) directly to my domain. I think its a good match, the site had very little pages and most of the links went to the homepage

I'm assuming these kind of redirects are basically useless?
Not useless per se but dangerous, Goog counts them as "soft 404" and may put some penalties for that.

Not useless per se but dangerous, Goog counts them as "soft 404" and may put some penalties for that.
To clarify, you don’t want to do lazy mass redirects to the homepage. That’s what they watch for.

Another reason not to redirect another domains homepage to your own is you’ll mess up your brands anchor text profile by introducing the redirected brand’s anchors.

To clarify, you don’t want to do lazy mass redirects to the homepage. That’s what they watch for.

Another reason not to redirect another domains homepage to your own is you’ll mess up your brands anchor text profile by introducing the redirected brand’s anchors.
What if the expired domain has almost all good links going to the homepage, is it okay to just redirect to the new sites homepage?

I have a link from competitor site because he typo'ed it and I bought the domani. That link is in all serp stat services but not in my google search console. Go figure... 301 redirected that bitch right to the same service as his...

What if the expired domain has almost all good links going to the homepage, is it okay to just redirect to the new sites homepage?
You can if you're okay with what I just got done typing:

I don't think what you're describing is "lazy mass redirects to the homepage" because homepage-to-homepage redirects are pretty normal. But you can really screw your anchor text profile around, which can mess up your brand signals in the algorithm.

What you can do is publish a post like "Hey we just acquired X brand, here's what they used to do, why we bought it" blah blah like a press release and 301 to that. At one time I was doing a lot of these "acquisitions" so I made an acquisitions page to 301 all the homepages to, and linked out from there to other content that I pulled over from the expired domain's site, which then linked out to my normal pages.

But you can really screw your anchor text profile around, which can mess up your brand signals in the algorithm.
^Yarp. Pretty sure I've done this to myself recently. The excitement of the quality of the RDs I'd be gaining blinded me from doing the mathematical diligence of forecasting anchor ratio changes to my domain. Now I think Google thinks my site is a brand that they have a tombstone for. I'm now slowly working on building more true brand links to set my anchor ratios right again. God save me.

Back