301 Redirect or Not?

Degree
Hey guys ,

I'm kinda confused and need you opinion on something.

While researching for an article I'm writing , i stumbled upon an expired domain in the same Niche / topic as my article. The domain looks clean and has ahrefs rating of 40.

I'm thinking of buying the expired domain and redirecting to my article , however , I'm unsure of two things :

1) My site's topic is not related to that of the expired domain , however the article i'm writing shares the same topic with the expired domain.

2) The Expired domain has 425 backlinks from 32 domains.

I'm scared that the number of backlinks is too much to redirect to just an article on a website. I'm looking for the best possible way to go about this without raising big G's eyebrows.

What's your take on this?

It's impossible to tell anything without seeing the actual backlinks. All the numbers and metrics mean shit, they are mere indicators whether it's worth to spend your time investigating backlinks.

If we assume the domain topic matches the article topic, and the backlinks are from related topic posts... it should be a home run.

The only issue is whether or not Google has a check (and they probably do) between a domain's homepage being redirected to an inner page and not another homepage. If you have enough trust and authority it's probably fine.

All you can do is give it a shot. The nice thing about a 301 is you can remove it if there's a problem.

I'm leaning towards "this would work," given you're aligning topical relevance well enough (on-page vs domain-wide is your only issue, but I think it'll still work).

Thanks alot. Will do the redirect and monitor changes. Hope everything goes fine!!

Redirecting an entire domain anywhere is not a good idea unless you have a legitimate reason to do so. For instance, if you're rebranding your business and therefore move your site to a new domain.

I'd recommend you set it up as a PBN site instead. Nothing fancy. If you can revive it's old content from archive.org that would be awesome but it's not necessary.

Set it up, make it look decent (like a real site), write a few articles, and in one of the articles link back to your target article on your money site.

Back