20 Publications That Pay $1,000 (or more) for Content

Status
Not open for further replies.
Degree
Some thoughts for newbies and vets alike, specifically when trying to get your shit ranked.

TL;DR: Get paid to guest post to massive publications, while building rapport and traffic leaks to your business.

You can grow a large email list, sell lots of books/products, and book paid speaking and consulting gigs. With these publications, you can also make generate serious revenue.

1. AskMen. They pay $150 per article but they pay $1,500 for long form articles (more then 1,500 words). Men and women can contribute here. They’re looking for content on any topic that helps me. Send pitches to alex_manley(at) askmen .com

2. Atlanta Tribune. They pay $2 per word per article. They are looking for any articles on the "business lifestyle." The place to send submissions is editorial(at)atlantatribune .com

3. AARP. They pay $2 per word per article. They are looking for articles on money, investments, savings, retirement, work issues, health, fitness, trends, studies, travel, and relationships. The place to submit pitches is AARPMagazine(at)aarp .org

4. ALLURE. They pay $3000-$6000 for stories ranging 1700-2000 words. They are a women’s magazine looking for content for beauty tips, profiles, travel, and wellness. They place to send submission is thomas_waller(at)allure .com

5. AMERICAN FORESTS. They pay $2,000 per 1,500 to 2,000-word article. They are looking for articles on outdoor recreation, environmental issues, and tree-related science, adventures or news. The place to send submissions is magazine(at)americanforests .org

6. AMERICAN WAY. They pay $2 per word per article. This is the inflight magazine of American Airlines, reaching more than 16 million passengers every month. They look for all kinds of content. The place to send submissions is simon.leslie(at)ink-global .com

7. BRIDES. They pay $3 per word per article. They are looking for articles on wedding planning, advice, and ideas. The place to send submissions is editors(at)brides .com

8. BUZZFEED LONGFORM. They pay $1,500 per 2,000-word submission. They are looking for any interesting stories or different takes on life. They place to send submissions is meredith.kennedy(at)buzzfeed .com

9. High Time Magazines. They pay $1,000 per 3,000-word article. They are looking for articles on Marijuana cultivation, counter-culture lifestyle, travel, entertainment, and psychedelics. The place to submit articles is hteditor(at)hightimes .com

10. BBC Britain. They pay $1,000 per article. They are looking for articles on all kinds of topics but they have to be interesting. The place to send pitches to is haveyoursay @bbc.co.uk

11. Earth Island Journal. They pay $1000 for an in-depth feature story. They are looking for content on environmental issues. The place to send submissions to is submissions@earthisland .org

12. Redbook Magazine. They pay $1,000 per 3,000-word article. They are looking for articles on beauty, body, shopping and more for women. The place to submit is worklife(at)redbookmag .com

13. BC Business Magazine. They pay $2 per word per article. They are looking for any articles that cover significant issues and trends shaping the province of Briitish Columbia. The place to send submissions nrockel(at)canadawide .com

14. Workforce Magazine. They pay $3 per word per article. They are looking for any articles that cover a wide range of topics related to human resources for corporations. The place to send submissions is rbell(at)workforce .com

15. Connecticut Magazine. They pay $3 per word per article. They are looking for any articles covering a variety of subjects related to business. The place to send submissions is ayuravich(at)connecticutmag .com

16. Southeast Asia Globe. They pay $5 per word per article. They are looking for any articles on society, politics, business/economy, lifestyle, and culture. The place to send submissions is editor(at)sea-globe .com

17. Milwaukee Magazine. (My hometown) They pay $2 per word per article. They are looking for any articles on current affairs, business, and environmental issues. The place to send submissions is daniel.simmons(at)milwaukeemag .com

18. LiisBeth. They pay $2,000 per articles. They are looking for articles on entrepreneurship, start-up culture, and the innovation eco-system through a progressive feminist lens. Send pitches to publisher(at) liisbeth .com

19. Planning. They pay $1,000 per article. They are looking for articles on urban, suburban, rural, or small town planning. The place to send pitches is journal. apa(at) gmail .com

20. Teaching Tolerance Magazine. They pay $2 per word. They are looking for articles on social justice and anti-bias topics in the 800 up 1,600 words range. Send pitches to submissions(at) tolerance .org

These are just a few. There are MANY more that will pay good coin for your content. Make some extra revenue while building your audience and customer base.

(1) Are those rates legit and (2) are the writers on those sites loaded!?

The writers aren't loaded because not every pitch gets accepted. They can afford it because of the massive traffic they get already from fans and organic plus they're social media followings.

The ones I've seen hedge their bets and mitigate risk by doing a profit share for each post. Yeah, you can make a good chunk of money on them, especially because leaking to them is a lot easier since it's a popular site already. You can also lose out, and it's no loss to the site owners. If you win, they win. If you lose, they still win because they got free content. They stop sharing revenue after X days too.

(1) AFAIK from other marketers in my immediate network, yes. Haven't personally confirmed, but a trusted source has turned me on to the possibility with these. If I ever slow down or ease off the PRs, I might give it a whirl.

(2) You have to keep in mind the acceptance rate of these publications, how crass their editorial team might be, if it fits their current publication (timeliness), and whether they pay you up front or when it's published, which again, I'm not 100% on, but current contact info for each are at the end. Hit 'em up and see what they say, if it's a good fit for you.

Awesome post. So how do you approach them? Send an idea and title or the whole article?

Great list!

Also, not sure how accurate all of this pricing is. I just checked Tolerance.org and they list submissions at $1/word, not $2. Still a solid payout for someone who's passionate about the topics.

I think you've got the currency wrong?

I just checked sea-globe .com and it says on the page articles are generally 1500-3000 words and prices starts at $200 for one article. Not $5 per word like you posted. If $5 per word a 1500 words article would be $7500.

Not $5 per word like you posted. If $5 per word a 1500 words article would be $7500.
LMFAO, that's funny that you were the first person to notice this. $5 per word - I need to switch careers. $2500 for a 500 word article, sign up me!

But we have to get to the bottom of this pricing because some of these sources can be interesting for hobbyist that love writing or blogging but not on their own site. I can spit out a 1000 word article on technology with easy at $5 a word = $5K, jebus.

LMFAO, that's funny that you were the first person to notice this. $5 per word - I need to switch careers. $2500 for a 500 word article, sign up me!

But we have to get to the bottom of this pricing because some of these sources can be interesting for hobbyist that love writing or blogging but not on their own site. I can spit out a 1000 word article on technology with easy at $5 a word = $5K, jebus.
I’ve been doing the whole internet monies thing totally wrong. Sign me up to.

Great post. My tip would be if you already have an article in mind, think of an angle to sell to each publisher and pitch the same story differently. Don't just aim for one publisher because your odds are going to be terrible.

Some of the prices listed would make anyone change there career if they where a great writer, spotting a mistake like that could cost the wrong person their career, especially if they where in the business of advertising.

The article is well put together as it gives a good breakdown of some channels to use for writing. Though I would not be going of the rates that are used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back