Working Alone.. How do you cope?

contract

We're all gunna mine it brah.
Degree
Music, movies in the background, stimulants, etc.

What keeps you sane?

I've been doing it for so long now that I'm not sure I haven't gone insane a long time ago and it's been my new "normal" for years.

Had a few friends work from home due to the pandemic and they ask how I do it because they've gone insane within a month.

But usually, I have a twitch stream on in the background, multiple monitors to always browse twitter, etc while I do my tasks for the day. Some days I'm productive for 10 hours straight, others for an hour, but it averages out in the end.

I'm most productive in the morning, so I make sure to get all my most important tasks done then.

Usually work straight from 6am to 11am in my home office. Then spend a few hours doing something social - visiting family/friends (I'm lucky to have several close friends with similarly flexible schedules), doing a couple different sports/activities depending on the day of the week. After that, I'll usually go work at the coffee shop for another couple of hours on less important tasks.

I also live alone, so the key for me is to make sure I do something social everyday - even if it's a video call with a friend or just going to the bar and being around other people.

I've been self-employed and working from home for just over 10 years now, so I don't really have any issues staying sane/on task.

Treating it like an actual job with set work hours, actually getting dressed/ready in the morning, and having a dedicated home office (for work only) have all been super helpful.

I'm the opposite. Every time I've worked around other people, I've had to figure out how to cope in those situations (instead of when I'm working alone).

But more toward answering the spirit of the question, I pretty much have the same morning routine each day and don't care to take days off unless I have something else I need to be doing that day. I get up around 5:30-6 am, take a shower and get started. Around 9:30-10 am, I'll take a break to eat some breakfast with my girl. After that, it really just depends on what I have going on that day.

My "pays the bills" work, my "building a website" work and my other life stuff just get filled in based around whatever I need to get done from there on out, but the first four hours or so of my day are virtually always the same.

I've never been able to work from home day in and day out.

Public working spaces can be a lifeline. I started in the local library, now I have a co-working office with local cafés when I need a scenery change.

WFH only happens if I've got a real reason I need to use the desktop PC, and it's with set targets - ideally combined with a pomodoro timer.

I play games to unwind, so trying to work where I relax doesn't work out well. Once I'm in a productive space it's like my head clears and I can just focus.

Note: I work with a pretty big team engaged in several projects. That being said, I do work “alone” in the sense that all my employees work remotely

When I started, I would work from the morning 9-1 pm. I had online classes, so they would be playing in the background while I wrote an article or made changes to existing articles. Post lunch, I would work from 2-7/8 pm. This time would be spent sending emails, reading “case studies” or finishing up an article. I didn’t have a work ethic or anything (I still don’t), which meant that I would get very little done even though I was spending a ton of time in front of my computer.

Later on, when I formed my company and hired a few people, things completely changed. I was initially annoyed because it disrupted the way I functioned because I had to train and supervise them. I was a big micromanager too, which made things worse. Slowly, I got into the groove of showing up at a certain time because they show up everyday. During this time, I worked 10-6 pm.

Then my college reopened and I had to go back. While it was exciting to party in college, it really fucked up my schedule. I struggled to find my rhythm with in-person classes and all the bong hits and late-night parties. So I would work maybe a few hours a week. But my team was still working and that saved my ass.

Now that I am back home, I work pretty much all the time except the time I spend with family and my girl.

I guess what drives me is the excitement. I really love doing what I do and everything that it allows me to do. Building teams and making them self-sustaining gives me a lot of joy. I travel a lot, both nationally and internationally. I am currently in the process of moving to another country (after college) which is an exciting thought.

Reading this, I don’t know if I really answered your question. Nevertheless, I hope this was helpful.

Working alone is easy when you have a life outside of work.

For me, I go to yoga and dance classes (try Bachata!), have a weekly hangout that I host, and have a regular social life. It's only when you over identify with your job (or entrepreneurship) and it turns into your whole life, that working alone is an issue. You feel lonely. That's it. Working with other people won't make you feel with people. Just live a regular life dude. I feel your pain. I was like this for ages until I went to therapy and realized I was messed up. The lifestyle of grinding every day, day in and day out, to make a company is just crazy. That's not happiness.

I don't feel alone/lonely when I work, but I do when I stop working. I wish I had your problem, though.

Noise-cancelling headphones + binaural beats + Pomodoro technique. Have a constant reminder of why you're working (a picture on your desktop, a physical photo, cue cards with your goals on them like Carter recommends, a to-do list you can check tasks off of, etc.) near you for when you start to drift.

Not using social media or YouTube is also a big help because your ability to compare your work situation with other people goes away. There have been times when I've thought to myself, "Man, I wish I could go to work all day, fight traffic, and come home like everybody else." Let's be real- I don't actually want this, I just see a post or video and compare my reality with the reality of the individual I'm comparing myself to.

Another thing to consider is taking a real break- you could just be burned out and need a refresh. I think many of us struggle with this though. Even when we take a day off we still check emails, analytics, or think about our projects.

I've worked alone, at home in a nearly silent office for 5+ years now. It's awesome.

I typically have some kind of white noise on at all times (Noisli.com) for focus.

I think the key to keeping your mind occupied is to have a lot of different things you enjoy at arms reach. I used to do Pomodoro, but I've found it more effective to just cycle through my list of work tasks, hobbies, and personal entertainment wants.

If I grind on a work task for an hour, I'll start to feel brain fog and anxiety creep in. That'll be my indicator to jump to something else. I'll grab my guitar, book, exercise, or take the dog out for 30 mins. All of these things are available in my office, so I don't have to waste time setting anything up or looking for things I need.

Cycling between work and hobbies/entertainment makes me VERY productive. When I move from hobby/entertainment back to a work task, it feels like I'm starting my workday fresh again. I can approach the new task with a clear head and plenty of motivation/focus.

The drawback for me is that my workday drags out 'til 7pm-8pm. But, I'm home anyway...so it works.

If I grind on a work task for an hour, I'll start to feel brain fog and anxiety creep in. That'll be my indicator to jump to something else. I'll grab my guitar, book, exercise, or take the dog out for 30 mins. All of these things are available in my office, so I don't have to waste time setting anything up or looking for things I need.
I'm the exact same way, but even if I switch to a different type of work task that I enjoy more, that's usually plenty to ward that stuff off.

I prefer to work alone. Always have.

Maybe it's my personality. I'm INTP.

I don't mind being with other people, but I know 110% I get more done alone in my office than I do in a cubicle with 20 co-workers around me in a group think.

If I am working, I prefer to be alone. If I am not working at all, I can be fine around others all day.

Those that get it, get it.

If I am working, I prefer to be alone. If I am not working at all, I can be fine around others all day.

Those that get it, get it.
I'm exactly the same way. We have an office where the team works. I drop in to do superficial work and take meetings, but if it's focus time, I'll work from my home office.

Different strokes for different folks.

I've been WFH since 2013 and have come to enjoy the silent, no-chatter environment I work in. How do people get anything done when there is so much office chatter around you? Not to mention the commute, dressing up, and all that.

Give me as many monitors as possible, some headphones and my choice of music and I have a +50 sword of peace of mind... People will stress you the fuck out with useless small talk and bullshit. Been working at home since 2007 and wouldn't trade it for anything. I have zero desire to associate with anything resembling Corporate USA and that includes things that waste my time like no money meetings.

Back