The "future" of SEO and why you shouldn't care

JTH

Degree
I thought I would start this thread for two reasons. As an introduction so that I can unlock my account on this wonderfully awesome site. Secondly, because I caught myself falling down the rabbit hole question whether something was "worth" it. In essence, I was just merely procrastinating. I am sure many who are currently lurking, are also umming and ahhing about whether SEO/Affiliate is the right path for them.

Bit of background on me. I started working in Digital Marketing at an Agency 5 months ago and I am fortunate to work close to an SEO person who is using Affiliate websites to generate a very healthy stream of income. He probably won't be working at my agency for much longer based on that. As a PPC person I have no fear that the skill set I am building will be useful for years to come. Part of my job is run AdWords campaigns. Basic business sense here is that Google likes money (who doesn't) and therefore AdWords will always be a priority for them. Business owners are time poor and therefore aren't able to dedicate the time to learn and or run a Campaign properly. Google even provides Agencies with direct customer service consultants if they spend enough money. SEO people on the other hand are the bane to Google. Simply put, If businesses couldn't pay someone to get them to rank, they would have no other choice than to use PPC methods, ie AdWords. The more people that use AdWords, the more competition for KeyWords. Basic supply and demand will cause Keywords price to increase, which means more money in Googles pocket. So why dedicate the time to learn SEO if a massive all seeing corporation is actively trying to stamp you out?

I asked this very question to my SEO friend and his answer was simple. Organic SERPs are the backbone to Googles business and regardless of the direction of SEO, business owners will always need people (i.e you & me) to optimise around this. No perfect system exists and that to applies to Google and their algorithms as well. The strategies may change, the get rich quick pathways may dry up but new methods and practises will appear to accomodate for this. To me, longevity in SEO and in any business really, is the ability to put ego aside and be willing to continuously learn and iterate on what you are currently doing.

Bit of a rant but let me know your thoughts! Open to hear all opinions on this.

Welcome to the forum :wink:

Did you already have a background in the digital space before you got a job doing PPC at the agency?

Welcome to the forum :wink:

Did you already have a background in the digital space before you got a job doing PPC at the agency?
No prior experience in the digital space or marketing. I finished a commerce/finance degree, worked in that industry for a year and severely disliked it. So I quit my job and got 3 weeks of unpaid work experience in an advertising agency which enabled me to get an interview for a PPC entry level role.

Since then I have just been reading everything and anything on PPC/Digital Marketing. I now am looking to transition to learning more about SEO. That's how I made my way here :smile:

Back