Recovering a Gmail Account

Nat

Degree
There is a Gmail account associated with a domain I got in auction and two social accounts are linked to this Gmail (not @domain.com :(). I've tried recovering it and failed several times. The recovery process is 4 questions - I have no clue what a past password would be, the account was linked to a cell phone which I obviously don't want to do, one question is a security question which is "The name of your website," and the last question is estimate Gmail account creation date. I've got a ballpark of when it was created based on when she added the @gmail to the contact page on the site in Archive.org. I've tried the website URL, the website title, her personal blog title, and her personal website title. Is there any use in continuing to try recovering this gmail?

"the account was linked to a cell phone which I obviously don't want to do"

FWIW: I have multiple email accounts tied to the same phone number. I have had to recover at least one of those accounts in the past. So far, nothing has happened to any of those accounts.

I don't know your exact reason for not linking your cell phone number, but you can recover your id using the cell phone number and then either change the number to another one or, better still, export your data out and create a new GMail account with a new recovery phone number.

@builder No, like, I bought a domain name at auction. I went to try and recover the social media accounts that were tied to the website. The old owner used a gmail - websitename@gmail.com - for all the social accounts instead of admin@websitename.com. I'm trying to access the website's Gmail/G+ account. I've never logged into the account before.

No, like, I bought a domain name at auction. I went to try and recover the social media accounts that were tied to the website.

The website doesn't own the social media profiles, the previous owner does. Since it's also connected to gmail.com and not domain.com you are crossing from dark gray area into straight up black. Continuing this course is not advisable.

Try emailing websitename@gmail.com and try to convince the old owner to transfer it to you.

If that doesn't work:
  • Create new social media accounts. When compared to domain history, social media account history doesn't seem to matter much.
  • Notify followers of the old accounts about your new id/profile.
  • Look at the most popular tweets/pins/shares of the old accounts, and recreate them for your new profiles in your own way.

The website doesn't own the social media profiles, the previous owner does. Since it's also connected to gmail.com and not domain.com you are crossing from dark gray area into straight up black. Continuing this course is not advisable.
Oh, that makes sense, I need to stop seeing the entire internet as gray. The account log-in info were attached to the Gmail, but the properties were all branded, included website links in bio, etc etc.
Try emailing websitename@gmail.com and try to convince the old owner to transfer it to you.

If that doesn't work:
  • Create new social media accounts. When compared to domain history, social media account history doesn't seem to matter much.
  • Notify followers of the old accounts about your new id/profile.
  • Look at the most popular tweets/pins/shares of the old accounts, and recreate them for your new profiles in your own way.
I have, and unfortunately, everything about this site was just abandoned. No response from FB or Twitter messages, no email response. The other websites I located from the alleged owner haven't been updated in almost a year and are probably about to drop as well.

Sometimes you have to grease the palms a little bit.

Have you tried ( if it's worth it to you ) to offer them $50 for it?

That gets me to finally notice and respond to an email sometimes.

Reactions: Nat
Sometimes you have to grease the palms a little bit.

Have you tried ( if it's worth it to you ) to offer them $50 for it?

That gets me to finally notice and respond to an email sometimes.

Thanks, I'll give this a shot. I've been assuming the person simply went afk months ago, but I guess there is still some potential

Another option would be filing a trademark (intellectual property) claim with twitter, fb, etc...if that doesn't work then you would have to create new profiles as suggested above.

Back