Newbie Question(s) so dumb, you're afraid to even ask!

Hey quick question, Does Buso have a guide on branding? Everyone's saying one should build a brand. I can't seem to find it.

And how does one become big/big brand? I know there are people saying "Oh use Tiktok, it's future" but do you see the majority of SAAS advertising on TikTok? No.

There's a little "like" button at the bottom of each message that you can click to pass out likes. I'm not sure if it shows up for you immediately or if you have to get out of the new member "quarantine" first. If it's not showing up yet, just wait until you've posted a few messages and gotten a few likes and you should be good to go.

Not really sure what you mean by question 1.. The forum is divided into different sections, and you can post topics in each one, but you can't create new categories or anything like that, that's up to the admins. If that's not what you meant, just let me know and myself or someone else will do our best to help ya.

I would welcome you but you've already done that on my behalf :wink:
Hey, thanks for the lowdown on the "like" button and the forum setup! Yeah, I guess I'm still in newbie territory, so I'll hang tight until all the features unlock for me. As for question 1, no worries, you pretty much answered what I was wondering about. And hey, self-welcome accepted!

All my competitors have dofollow backlinks from each of the different Pinterest country TLDs (.jp, .it, etc.)

They all come from the ideas section. The URL path is always /ideas/keyword/string of random numbers and goes to a top ten list of "Discover Pinterest’s 10 best ideas and inspiration for [x]"

How do you get on these lists?

I learned from CCarter to block all the bad bots, I'm guessing probably not, but can I use semrush to "audit" and track my websites?

I learned from CCarter to block all the bad bots, I'm guessing probably not, but can I use semrush to "audit" and track my websites?
You won't interfere with their abilities to track your backlinks as that doesn't require crawling your site. But anything that does require crawling your site like audits and internal links and things of that nature should be blocked if they're respecting robots.txt. I wouldn't call Semrush a "bad bot" if you're wanting to use their data, and can just exclude them from your robots.txt deny list.

SO I noticed these SAAS sites: SlashDot, SourceForge, SaasHub, GetApp

they have like a comparison thing which seems like it is done through automation I think. Would this be considered doorway pages and is this a good idea to do or nah?

I noticed this site in my niche which has like thousands of these typa pages of comparing various products in the niche. They just need to fill out info for few products and you can easily make comparison style posts. Just show both product details side by side. But on ubersuggest only shows 400 traffic or so. But then I checked his ahrefs backlinks he only has like 121 domains linking to him.

Has anyone tried doing this type of thing and seen good results (recently, of course, years ago doesn't count)??

Assuming the page gets a lot of traffic then you would just create an article on it yourself.

Does a website in the education category fall under YMYL?

I have a website dedicated to a coaching institute, primarily aimed at college students.

Would this be classified as YMYL?

they have like a comparison thing which seems like it is done through automation I think. Would this be considered doorway pages and is this a good idea to do or nah?

I noticed this site in my niche which has like thousands of these typa pages of comparing various products in the niche. They just need to fill out info for few products and you can easily make comparison style posts. Just show both product details side by side. But on ubersuggest only shows 400 traffic or so. But then I checked his ahrefs backlinks he only has like 121 domains linking to him.

Has anyone tried doing this type of thing and seen good results (recently, of course, years ago doesn't count)??

Assuming the page gets a lot of traffic then you would just create an article on it yourself.
Yes, it's called Programmatic SEO and a lot of success is had by doing it. It's smart and efficient. @Boy is doing this type of thing with good success if you want to read his case study in the lab.

Does a website in the education category fall under YMYL?

I have a website dedicated to a coaching institute, primarily aimed at college students.

Would this be classified as YMYL?
Yes. Education is absolutely YMYL. It relates to both your money and your life.

Do keyword matching domains still work? Or is it better building a website on a branded domain?
Everything that once worked ends up working again once people stop exploiting it and Google can safely use it in the algorithm the way it was intended. But I would argue that a branded domain is always better, especially if you intend on selling the website (you should). I'd always build with the prospective buyer in mind.

The bridge between the two is to include a partial match using the classic "Main Noun of the Niche + Random Noun". Like if your niche is bicycles you could be something like BikeCave, BikeHouse, BikeWorld... anything except BestBicyclesForKids (dot com). The minor bump you might get in the SERPs isn't worth running around with a non-brand monstrosity of a domain.

Also, you don't even need to follow this prescription. You can be any old name you want and still succeed. You could be SpinnyWheels and still dominate all those searches, because it doesn't take long for Google to classify you as a bicycle site and it doesn't take too long for you to achieve topical authority.

Another thing I've always wondered about is topical authority. Is this based around having backlinks related to the topic your website is based around. For instance if my website sells bicycles, the topical authority might be bicycles, transport, etc. Is this correct?

Here's how that's looking today. None of these pages show up in keyword research tools. Each page is insignificant in traffic, but together, they get some that converts very well. Like 50% CTR, can't easily track conversions from there without creating a few hundred individual campaigns.

The terrible CTR is because the pages are showing up for branded search.

The increase at the beginning of the year was when all the translated pages were indexed.
jFtGDOg.png

If your thought process is to write an article to compete, you've already lost. It's a waste of your time. Think of the intent behind someone searching for product A vs product B. They're at the bottom of the funnel, ready to decide. All they need is to see stats presented in a way that they can see which thing is better.

Cost, cost.
Features, features.
Benefits, benefits.

technical.city does this well. Green good; red bad.

Here's how that's looking today. None of these pages show up in keyword research tools. Each page is insignificant in traffic, but together, they get some that converts very well. Like 50% CTR, can't easily track conversions from there without creating a few hundred individual campaigns.

The terrible CTR is because the pages are showing up for branded search.

The increase at the beginning of the year was when all the translated pages were indexed.
jFtGDOg.png

If your thought process is to write an article to compete, you've already lost. It's a waste of your time. Think of the intent behind someone searching for product A vs product B. They're at the bottom of the funnel, ready to decide. All they need is to see stats presented in a way that they can see which thing is better.

Cost, cost.
Features, features.
Benefits, benefits.

technical.city does this well. Green good; red bad.
Good point but it's not always a waste. What you can't do with this typa thing is for example, if there's a clear winner, you can't really say this is clear winner.

You can also not have pros and cons because pros and cons are meant to be more specific type of thing.

I am writing down how I want the thing to coded for the wordpress plugin and such that I will get for this type of thing. But my main issue right now is, how would you beat capterra, software advice and saashub sites, like if you do something like:
GetResponse Vs WP Rocket (Yes they are both like different ones, but these are the ones with the lowest competition, there's no way I am getting traffic for competitive ones because there are actual articles comparing the features of the 2.)
Like both have separate features, what would you show that "Oh this one has that, and this one doesn't?? But they are completely different but are also within my niche. (Not this example but you get what I mean.)
I think I can beat it if it was a written article since you explain they are different. Pros and Cons, have a table for what features they have and not.

I am thinking of having "Features" Thing where I input for each product. But the issue with this is, let's say I do GetResponse and AWeber. What if I forget to list the first one as "Newsletter" but on the AWeber, it will be in some other order? Like it won't be side by side. If you check out these sites Sourceforge and stuff, they do features side by side so you can see. But they are so general, and large that it would work. I have to be more specific but I don't know how I am gonna do this.
54abf2306133fcf0a7b69ec3baf9da23.png

Does anyone have an idea for how I can do this/go about it??

Yes. Education is absolutely YMYL. It relates to both your money and your life.

Are there any boundaries to the type of educational content? And do you think it's more dependent on the audience (and thus the user intent) or the topics we're talking about?

Like if I write a blog on topics about biology and target biology students and biologists researching and learning about the field, would that also classify as YMYL?

Or like a fine arts site that talks about art techniques and has extensive guides on making art - would that also classify as YMYL? (considering that the people coming to the site are interested in fine arts as a career)

@Nonbeardedman, I don't think Biology as a topic is necessarily YMYL though I could see it getting into "health" to a degree. When I said "education is YMYL" I meant it specifically in the context of targeting students who are trying to decide what college or institute to attend. That's definitely YMYL. Talking about subjects that you learn in a school most likely isn't, depending on the topic, such as Art. I'm pretty certain that's not YMYL (yet). Talking about art? Nah. Talking about where to spend your money to learn art for a career? Yes.

Remember that with AI, putting up some relevant and useful content for programmatic SEO is much easier.

Hello kind people from BuSo,

Recently, we faced an unexpected challenge when we were compromised by malware. This breach led to the creation of a significant number of .saarland pages.
s1jjmTK.png

I think we have successfully deleted all of these pages. As we seek to ensure this issue is fully resolved and to prevent any such incidents in the future, we're reaching out for guidance.

This is GSC right now.
MwaxlTy.png

Could you kindly advise on the best course of action moving forward? Your expertise and recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

@saeja, There's nothing wrong with having 404 errors on your site. It's what you want to happen to those pages you deleted. There's no need to create a 301 redirect for each one or any of the other things people think need to happen. It's working exactly as intended.

As far as guidance goes, make sure your CMS stays updated, the least number of plugins are used as possible and only the highest quality ones, the plugins stay updated, and that you change your password to your cPanel / DirectAdmin / whatever account and your FTP password is changed too. The idea being that the bad guys gained entry somehow to plant files that generated those pages, so you need to make sure they can't get in again. It was not likely, but was possibly a MySQL injection so make sure any "fields" on your page like your contact form are secure.

Good job on cleaning that up. Another thing to look at is your Coverage Report and see how many of those pages are still indexed by Google. They'll naturally drop over time but it can take a full year for all of them to disappear. You just need Google to crawl them enough times to see 404 errors (I've even forced them to load 410 errors to hasten the process). One trick to get them to crawl is to gather all the bad indexed URLs and put them in a sitemap and upload it. A month later once most drop, remove that sitemap and upload another one with whatever remains. This helps get them crawled faster.

I am so glad to hear from you. Thank you so much for your reply. We will definitely look at Page Indexing/Coverage Report and try the suggested sitemap method. Passwords to cPanel and FTP have already been changed. We will try to take a look at the contact form, hopefully we will be able to secure it.

Another thing I wish to tell you is that a few years ago we moved away from using CMS for websites and started using .php files with custom css works.
Furthermore, we do not have just one website in the WHM. There are many. Some sites have subdomains too. Hopefully it will be another discussion someday on subdomain and that brand's domain.

What I need to ask you now is about a wordpress blog as subdomain of a website. It looks like this:
blog.example.com/post01

Some of the posts there are ridiculously long, I mean they are thousands of words. (We originally wanted to create tower articles, thus covered many subtopics with the main topic)

Now we are looking to move this blog away from wordpress to the main site. Like:
example.com/post01

The main site is NOT wordpress. It is just a bunch of simple .php pages, some css, etc.

Can you guide me, how to:

1. Break these ultra long posts into smaller ones. As we think each sub-topic can be their own independent post. Thus the tower article can be broken down into 3-4 articles easily.
What do you say?

2. Redirect from the mentioned wordpress subdomain to multiple pages of the main site (non-cms).
example.com/smallpost01
example.com/smallpost02
example.com/smallpost03
How to go about it?

Can I set-up my website with 50 pages? These are mostly pages of categories for the site. I will post to support the pages with posts. I don't want to look too spammy to Google, but I have to setup the structure of the site this way.

Can I set-up my website with 50 pages? These are mostly pages of categories for the site. I will post to support the pages with posts. I don't want to look too spammy to Google, but I have to setup the structure of the site this way.

You can set up a website with 5 pages.

You should initially focus more on launching a finished product. Have your footer in order, have your design in order. Have an "about us" page. Have the GDPR set up, if in Europe.

Hey anyone tried doing LinkedIn Parasite Posts? I am wondering if these impressions are page views or not. It also shows article views which are like very low for me (6 article views) so I don't know how it works like that or not.

5d4f30165de57fe4c4e01c1a90e5bc2a.png

Newbie Question: I see the term 'article,' but does that mean a page or a blog post? Could it mean either? I assume a page is best, though I don't know for certain.

Newbie Question: I see the term 'article,' but does that mean a page or a blog post? Could it mean either? I assume a page is best, though I don't know for certain.

That term is thrown around loosely and could mean anything. A blog post or page or anything other post type.

Not sure what you mean by a "page" is best. You can rank posts or pages. Just depends on your strategy and structure. Most blogs that write informative content try to rank their blog posts. Ecommerce stores try to rank their product pages.

Im running a facebook ad campaign focused on sales. My ad gets a lot of engagement but no sales yet. Do I still run the ad or switch it up? Because I thought engagement usually brings sales.

Back