Is my strat too broad?

Degree
Hey all, I've had minor success being an affiliate before. Long tail keyword variations of car parts and being amazons servant. I sold the site for about 10k after it got slapped by google and have been stuck in a regular job since.

My fire is starting to awaken again. Mentally, there is something wrong with me with work. This coupled with whatever has begun to make me procrastinate religiously and I'm feeling stuck in a loop of discontent. I got a tiny glimpse of what freedom felt like due to an online income, and it ruined me.

Anyways, here's the thing. I have several, seemingly unrelated silos that I want to branch into in one site. Are distantly related topics and going too broad a silly idea? Think laser cutters to 3D printers to raspberry pi's...to CAD Modeling to..whatever. I just like making stuff. But, I'm not the best and I've seen the tutorials by those who are. I'm a generalist that gets interested in technical hobbies learns enough to be dangerous and wants to move on.

If I hammered out silos of topical relevancy in each of these areas in ONE site do you think it would be less/more likely to fail? I've been looking around lately and seeing most of my competitors are focused in one of those niches and they stay within their box.

And my first successful site was indeed in a box. But, it was boring. Your advice is appreciated.

Check out the crash course and search the site for topical authority if you haven't already.

Having distantly related topics on one site doesn't tend to translate into good rankings. Google trusts topically authoritative sites more because they tend to have "subject matter experts" behind them, as opposed to giant spray-and-pray sites.

With that said, I don't think the items you listed are that far apart. They all exist within that "maker's tech" umbrella.

Could you make it work? Sure. Do other big sites make it work? Yes. Is the path to success faster if you choose one lane and stick to it? I think so. It just depends on what your runway looks like. Do you have the time and resources to create this giant monster and wait longer for revenue, or would you rather get straight to the money?

Having distantly related topics on one site doesn't tend to translate into good rankings. Google trusts topically authoritative sites more because they tend to have "subject matter experts" behind them, as opposed to giant spray-and-pray sites.

With that said, I don't think the items you listed are that far apart. They all exist within that "maker's tech" umbrella.

Could you make it work? Sure. Do other big sites make it work? Yes. Is the path to success faster if you choose one lane and stick to it? I think so. It just depends on what your runway looks like. Do you have the time and resources to create this giant monster and wait longer for revenue, or would you rather get straight to the money?
Hi Ryuzaki,

I've read many of your posts and found you and Sutra as inspiring members of this forum. Nice to hear a reply from you on a down day for me. Realistically, I think I'm running out of steam. I've been planning this site for a month, and when I write, nothing materializes.

I think I'll just be staying in one lane as you mentioned and choosing a broad domain name. Perhaps if I hammer down a silo I can expand someday.

I will have to start in a box again.

Thank you for the reply

Back