Introductions Thread

If SEO can be summed up in one article, post, or video - there wouldn't need to be SEO agencies...

Welcome to BuSo.

@CCarter I guess I should have phrased that better, Im not asking for an article that sums up SEO. What i am looking for is a "What are your Must Reads" for those looking to build a revenue generating project from scratch.

Also great job on SERPwoo! Ive had a superbeta account for almost a year now and love the updates you guys continue to make.

I posted a few recent threads on Wickedfire about my projects (which I will move over to here) and a pretty cool business model for SEO's (Which I will also post here).

I was referred to this forum and I have already seen a lot of familiar faces.

See you around!

There are some really good threads on this forum actually that are great guides. Check out the Laboratory section, where members do case studies.

Hi guys Kurtz here, I am a complete beginner in the world of IM.

I have recently started building my first website, I hope to have it online in the next few days. It has been a bit of a learning curve - I have been using wordpress but rather than just use someone else's theme I decided to modify the existing wordpress twenty twelve theme after reading about that in one of ccarters posts. I know I could save time by using an existing theme but I think ultimately I will want to end up coding stuff myself so I need to learn anyway.

My first project is just a blog type website in a very small health sub niche, I hope to gain traffic from SEO although all the first page google results are huge websites such as webmd and other general health websites which just have one article on this topic. I am not sure if I will outrank them but I will do my best and hope to eventually get on page 1 at least. I will also practice traffic leaking and possibly even test out paid traffic once everything is set up if I can't get much traffic any other way.

I have multiple plans to earn from this website, the first one I will use is affiliate links in some posts and also Adsense when I start getting some traffic. Finally I hope to create a few of my own products that I can market on the website, a digital product such as an ebook and possibly even a physical product although I will wait until I am getting the traffic to make it worth while before I start to work on that - I plan to collect emails from the beginning so any future products can be marketed via email.

Anyway that's basically it. I am not sure if this will all work out successfully but I've learnt a lot already and I'm sure I will learn a lot more before this small project is complete. I have been lurking these forums and many others these past few weeks, and I must admit this one is by far my favorite. There is a ton of useful information here and lot of inspiring threads. I am excited to be a member and hope to be able to contribute as my journey progresses.

What i am looking for is a "What are your Must Reads" for those looking to build a revenue generating project from scratch.

Well I guess it depends what kind of project you are looking to build.

The following post from @CCarter is a good one:
On Site Crash Course - Big Brand Refresher

Another great post I found just today is this one from @Tavin (the rest of the thread is worth reading too):
Monetizing A Viral Website

Hope that helps. I am interested to see what other must reads you guys have.

Kurtz, sounds like you have a solid plan and a lot of sense behind it. Being willing to put off the immediate gratification of having a theme in order to learn the ins-and-outs of tinkering is a great sign, I think. But also, don't delay forever either. You'll know the right balance, I'm sure.

In regards to getting disheartened a bit by the huge sites ranking on the first page for your main term, I wouldn't worry too much. If you're building an entire site about the topic, while they feature one article each, it shouldn't be a problem to become established as the authority. But I wouldn't hyperfocus on that term etiher. I'd start with long-tails and worry about ranking them and let the hard one happen naturally. When you've tapped out the long-tails, you'll turn your attention to the hard one and find most of the work is already done.

Good luck, stick around! Happy to have you here.

@Kurtz good luck on your project.
And as @Ryuzaki said don't be intimedated by sites like webmd showing up on page one on google, I've found that a lot of times these sites rank solely becouse thei have a High Domain Authority and trustflow however if you look at the metrics for the page thei are ranking with, that is often somewhat weak and should be relatively easy to outrank especially if you create an entire site about the subject.
Do some good onpage seo Big hint that I've seen webMD NOT taking advantage of is correct interlinking their pages with contextual links.

Howdy,

Im thisoldhat on other forums like WFF - but I stopped with the forums while I was mucking around in Europe, now that I'm back seems like it's only good for trolling people and putting up ironic gifs.

Carter showed me this place a while ago and seems like lots of good information and discussions - so hallo, hows it going.

Hey guys, just found the forum through diving down the rabbit hole of internet marketing and thought I'd sign up to see what I can learn as it seems like a pretty driven community without the usual spam.

I'm currently 2 months in to my journey although I'm yet to actually start building anything yet.

If I achieve even a quarter of what members like @built has achieved then I'll be a very happy chappy.

How's it going?

What was going on in Europe? I've wanted to go, just haven't had a chance as of yet.

What kind of sites do you enjoy working with? MFA's, Authorities, E-Commerce? What about monetization? Are you well versed in PPC? How long have you been in the game?

Nice to meet you and have you around. Looking forward to continued discussion with you around the forum.

-----

Glad to have you around!

I think not building anything in the first two months is fine, but I wouldn't linger too long. You'll have to apply some knowledge to expand it, or you'll forget it.

What are you thinking about trying for your first adventure? What kind of site?

@Ryuzaki I'm currently thinking about ecommerce using a dropshipping model to get me started.

I work in customer service and really want to build something that works with customers.

Hi guys,

How are you all?

So a bit about me…

I have recently moved from the big smoke of Sydney, six hours north, to Armidale in NSW and I absolutely love it here. After a six month whirl wind adventure around Australia, my wife and I fell in love with rural Australia and decided to move.

Before making the move I use to be a marketing manager for a mortgage broking company in Sydney. I was good at it and I loved building up teams of people to make an exceptional company.

However, the whole 9-5 thing - it's not my scene.

It’s time for me to branch out. I have a very clear vision with what I want to create, and part of that is to build up my own business.

So that brings me to this forum.

I’m here because, yes I know how to grow a standard "corporate" business, but I don’t know how to build a business from the ground up and all the nitty gritty details that are involved. I’m looking for guidance, support, and to lend my knowledge and expertise to those that can benefit.

It is a pleasure to be on the site. I hope you guys can help get my feet grounded and show me the ropes and in return I hope I can help out any newbie (or even some of the old hats) from my experience

Nathan

Looks like I found where everyone went.

This forum looks to be something worth investing time into, I see a great amount of insightful posts from an experienced crowd.

About me:
I own brick and mortar, revenue right at $1M. A few short run success stories before panda. Goals include launching online retail division, and shooting links from my network into ole sunken battleships in an attempt to reboard them.

I look forward to interacting with you all, sharing tidbits of data and the like...

Welcome.

Please do share stories on the brick and mortar.
I do a few restaurants' sites, so enhancing/interacting between brick and mortar and the world of SEO/IM is an interesting topic to me.

::emp::

Hell emp, nice to see you here.

My business is in the fashion clothing industry. Launched in 2008. The store is in the middle of a college campus mall, with very trendy garments available to the young crowd. Can you believe that there hasn't been a web portal this entire time!

Since inception, all debts have been paid, and for a bit it was nice to relax and enjoy the success.
Now the site has become a necessity to fill the demand of our user base as they leave to go back home for summer break and upon graduation.
I've been scouting other cities with a strong college consumer base, and hope to have a second store in our sister city soon.

My needs are to have a warehouse linked with multiple stores and webstore. I'm considering shopify with custom inventory scripts, or a custom netsuite solution. My goals are to have a buy anywhere, ship anywhere, return anywhere system.

Have you had any success with retail store linking?

Hey guys,

My name is John.

My friends call me Johnny sometimes, but I don't mind either way. I heard about BuSo through WickedFire, did some research, and was very impressed. I'm a member of a couple of forums, but this one has a very unique feel to it, like others have said - "it feels like home".

I'm in my late 20s and I feel that time is running out. I've tried a lot of things and have failed a lot, sacrificed almost everything for this. I have not succeeded yet, but the fire in my eyes has never been so strong. The last 5 years or so have been daunting to say the least; shit has happened which I won't go into, and now I have no choice but to succeed.

I hope to get to know some of you better and contribute where I can.

and now I have no choice but to succeed.

That's when big things happen for me, when my back is against the wall and it has to happen. I end up summoning efforts and energies out of myself that I didn't know I had. If only I could stay on fire like that all of the time.

Glad you signed up, see you around the forum.

Or otherwise known as 'A Numbskulls Fading Powers of Observation'

I just noticed the intro thread here in Orientation...of course this is after I already posted an intro in Orientation...

So uh yeah.

Name is Safeword...Glad to be here...I obviously pay attention...

Please consider my first contribution of "what not to do" a freebie.

:wink:

SW

Hey guys, I've been lurking here for a while since @built told me about this place. Plenty of familiar faces from WickedFire too.

A little bit about me... I've been a freelance web designer for the past 6+ years, fucked around a lot, made money, lost money. I'm looking to move away from client work and build my own online assets and hopefully a stable income.

I'm looking forward to learning what I can from you guys and also helping out a few newbies along the way.

James

Yo Builders,

Just wanted to stop in and say how excited I am to be a part of a tight group of marketers. I was a member of the BHU forum some time ago, took some time off to come back and find out there was a shit show that went down with that community. Ever since have been on a journey to find a suitable place to call home.

Looking to get back into ranking local sites, creating Brands, and building out a portfolio of income producing assets.

If you can tell by my username I'm absolutely obsessed with bitcoin and cryptocurrencies and the opportunities it provides. I was only in middle school when the internet started to take off and get buzz. But bitcoin represents my "early adopter" opportunity and will be the story I tell my kids and grandkids about the wild ride that was bitcoin.

I think I will write up a bitcoin primer for those not aware, but believe me when I say if you thought it was crazy when the internet minted millionaires, wait til bitcoin starts minting billionaires.

Think about it ..... we all use the internet for whatever reason and we are only at about 1.7 Billion in penetration, but money is a tool used daily by every single human being on the planet and 2/3rds of the world's adults do not have access to modern banking facilities let alone the ability to transact online.

Till next time.

Only way bitcoin is going to take off again is by making transactions easier. It has to be easier for the masses to use. Wallets and all this bitcoin addresses, I don't see the average internet user inputting some long bitcoin address to pay for something when they can simply use their credit card or paypal and are used to it.

Mass adoption is critical for a rally for bitcoin to take off, right now it's hobbyist and some early adopters that got in cause it's a "cool thing". Cool thing but still a nerdy thing. Imagine explaining to your non-tech mom or aunt about buying stuff with bitcoin or using it as a currency. The immediate question is "How does this make it easier?" That's how technology works - when something makes things easier people will adopt it, otherwise people are just going to go the lazy route.

What scenario would I need bitcoin that I can't get with my credit card? In fact with my card I can chargeback or dispute a seller that screws me over (or I screw over) - where as bitcoin, you take away the consumer protection that people are used to. Also with fraud charges the bank is responsible for the first 60 days of fraud, and people can charge back up to a year - IF they know how. That consumer protection problem has to be solved first as well - otherwise why would people jump ship?.

And we can't say it's anonymous cause realistically whenever people stole bitcoins the transactions were all able to be seen in blockchain, so there goes that anonymous situation out the window.

And don't get me wrong - I made ALOT of money buying and then selling bitcoin - I sold a good chuck at the $1K USD = 1 btc point and on it's way down, but I bought everything at $185+ so even now I'm still profitable. But for mass adoption - can't see it happening without drastic changes or answering several consumer protection problems or just making it extremely easier to use then credit cards, which it's not.

Welcome to BuSo!

Hey everyone,

Just found this place, and it's started motivating me already. Reading through the cc9 posts has really got the wheels turning. I couldn't have found this place at a better time. Just lost my job, bills stackin' up. Time to buckle down, get some projects going, and get my grind on. My web design skills will be put to the test in the next couple weeks.

I can tell there are lots of very motivated individuals here. I can't wait to be a part of this community so I can learn and grow with everyone.

Cheers!

Welcome aboard. I like the Alex Grey avatar! Hang in there and work hard to lay a solid foundation, but if things get too hard, don't hesitate to find another job or even a part time one. Do what you have to do to keep cash flowing, because that will also accelerate your growth online. Good luck!

I am here, better late than never!

Things I will be using Buildersociety for:
Keep track of goals and maintain budgets on those.
Start a journey thread
Compare with peer progress
knowledge/mindset expansion/sharing

Hey guys, just wanted to quickly introduced myself to this amazing forum.
I have been doing SEO for the past 4-5 years and have been fairly successful from it, but now looking to start a solid long term business which I maybe can sell in a few years.

Back