I have a confession.

built

//
BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Degree
So I sold my site and........

I bought a gaming rig and like 6 or 7 games.

I'm now broke again, with no website earning more $$$. Learn from my mistakes.

edit: Must say though, all in all I'm content. Earned more money than I ever thought possible this year and I mean if I can do it twice, I can do it again.

lol time to grind

Last edited:
The bad decisions just never end.

Some day you'll grow up. Until then just keeping flipping the hell out of websites like you have been for the last 6 months.

For all the mistakes you have made, you have done better than 99.99% of everyone else that started the same time you did through sheer determination.

At least you have a nice solid rig now. Should be a good tax write-off and you probably won't have to upgrade parts for a couple years if its pretty solid.

Good luck on embracing the grind :wink:

You sold your site to buy a massive distraction?

When are you going to have time to "grind" when you're occupied playing those 6-7 games and slurping down those energy drinks and growing a neckbeard?

You made the most common mistake people make when they acquire some funds...blow it all on things that won't help build them up even further--faster. You could have used your funds to make things easier for you but instead you're back at step 1 and now you're going to have to go through all the tough shit again. Hopefully you don't burn out.

Hopefully you sell that shit and take a look at the bigger picture.

How is it that 99% of people fuck up on lesson #1, "Don't blow all your money that you make, you might not get it back..."

@built you might be lucky if you can strike lightning again, I don't doubt you will cause you have the formula, but what's going to happen next time around when you have $200K or even $1MM in the bank, and blow it, then really have no motivation to start from scratch all over again? Do you think you'll have real motivation to keep doing it over and over? Grinding day and night after you already made $1MM and now have nothing to show for it, what mental state do you think you'll be in at that point? As you grow older you'll be taking less and less risks, and the opportunities that where available, like your current revenue model, might not exist anymore. All you have to do is talk to all the old SEOs that were ranking and banking spamming with BSTs and getting their re-bill money, they're all doing day jobs and talking about the "good old days" cause they blew the money since they thought it would be easy forever.

Life isn't a fucking game, so stop acting like a child.

sell the gaming rig asap, even if it means taking a little loss, and use the money to get back in the game.
then once you start growing a business again reinvest around 50% of what you've made in to your business either scaling it or outsourcing some of the work, keep 25% in the buisness just in case there comes a rainy day and everything about your business model has changed, that way you'll at least have a buffer, the last 25% MAX. you can take out to your self and do whatever you want with.
Just my advice, simple money management.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go find out how this Justin case is :D

Piggybacking on CCs point.

I refer to that type of delusional state - where you think that everything is going to be that way forever - as "The Days of Wine and Roses". You gotta live thru em and recognize em to be able to appreciate it and drain all the blood outta that time-frame that you can. People who get a taste of something like that, who have no point of reference, will just pat each other on the back and burn thru the cash, thinking it'll always be that way.

Case in point:
I used to open up nightclubs around the country. Usually with owners who had more money than sense. I'd get those fuckers up and going, with a solid team of course, and for the first 60 the shit would be amazing. Like Christmas. Trash bags full of cash every night. All the employees at the bar after work drinking the expensive shit, everyone congratulating themselves and talking about how in 6 months with all the money coming in what they're gonna buy, gonna go, etc..

I'd sit there and look around (because I'd already been there) and would toast "Here's to the Days of Wine and Roses gang." and they thought I was fucking nuts. There's no way that this shit is gonna fail.

It always did and always does. There are a myriad of reasons. People still reach out to me from places from 10 years ago chasing that high. Wanting to relive the glory days. Finally getting what it meant. Working dead end jobs. Chasing that dream. Mentally cracked.

Bank that shit.

Life isn't a game. I'll drink to that.

This is exactly I post here, I need to get called out on my bullshit and set straight. Feels good to be back.

Imagine waking up by falling out bed and hitting the ground hard. Then you get up...stumble around...and accidentally walk head-first into your bedroom door. You'd be pissed at this point, but it's still kind of funny. You walk to your kitchen and see a mess of dishes and smell the garbage you forgot to take out for the past week. You open the fridge and pull out your half gallon of milk and start chugging. You feel the chunks of curdled milk slide down your throat. But...it's that smell. The smell of rotten milk that makes you drop the carton and watch it spill all over the floor. You do your best to avoid the mess, but based on how your day is going so far...it's obvious when you slip, fall, and break your arm on the floor. Flailing around on the floor, in your pajamas, with a welt on your head from the door....you're realizing now you're having a bad day.

Can you FEEL how frustrating a day like this would be?

Yeah....that's how I feel reading your posts.

It's easier to give good advice than to take it yourself but I have to agree with CC and everyone else in this thread. You're doing the typical thing that poor people who win the lottery do - blow all of their money as fast as humanly possible. Its a bad mindset that you must fight against if you really want to build up a level of weath that can sustain you - so you never have to post 'hey I'm broke again'.

Earning money is one step. Holding onto it, investing in things that will grow your business and manage it responsibly are other steps.

Sure it feels great to go out and buy yourself nice toys but how much will you really enjoy your purchases knowing that you couldn't actually afford them? Because you can't. If buying a gaming rig and some games makes you broke then you never had enough in the first place for that 'treat'.

In addition to a plan for building sites you also need a fiscal plan and some long term goals to aim for. Personally I have a goal of £5,000 per month NET on a recurring basis. I've no doubt that I can and will build an online asset that will generate me that much -but in the meantime being broke is unacceptable so I've had to suck it up and get a 9-5 to pay the bills. You sound really young and I'm assuming you don't have a mortgage to pay and people to support. If you did I doubt you'd be quite so flippant about your money.

Best of luck and please for the love of god do some research and learning about how to properly manage your money and actually build wealth. This is a 'Builder' Society after all :smile:

Thanks for all the replies, really appreciate it.

Someone told me that if I hit a lick and make some good money while I'm young that I'll be far more happy with myself if I don't blow it but save it for a down payment on a house. He said that's the biggest roadblock to building equity instead of wasting on toys and rent

I blew through my first IM windfall when I was in middle school on a sweet ass gaming rig as well. Spent $1,100 on the processor alone for a PIII 1.0 Ghz processor.

It made me never want to go through a time where I made good money and I look back and think, where did all that money go?

Honestly a gaming rig isn't that bad of a thing to blow your money on unless you are buying the super high end stuff that is half the price a year later anyways. It's much better than blowing money on expensive but otherwise worthless crap simply to try to impress other people.

At its core, the primary issue at play in situations like these is a person having developed habits that lead to failure versus those that lead to success. I don't say that to be offensive, @built . I speak from experience, as I've developed a LOT of bad habits over the years. I am starting to find better and more consistent success though, for a few reasons. One of those is having great friends who were not afraid to call me out on my bullshit, especially when I've screwed up. Always a good thing having friends like that.

I reached a point in my life where I was just sick and tired of the same circle of events. Temporary success, failure, tough times, then more temporary success. It just gets old after awhile. The ubiquitous, "I'm too old for that shit!" point of self-realization. :wink: In the last few years, I took a long, hard look at my life and really made a significant effort (still a LOT of self improvement for me to do though) to change the things I want, and to develop new habits based around those.

For me, that instant gratification, the act of "buying" and acquiring all of these fun and exotic things (sports cars was one), was the driving force. I eventually reached a point of realizing that, I need to shift focus to wanting financial stability and success. In some cases, this demanded being more budget conscious, to the point of enjoying paying bills, as I know what that habit and self-control eventually leads to. I decided to really embrace self-restriction to the point of enjoying it. I would actually test myself, look at things I really wanted, in a similar manner to when I would impulsively buy them in the past...only to tell myself, "No, you can't have that right now." At first it sucks, but eventually I came to enjoy that self control.

The good thing is, you now know that you can generate some success when you're focused and determined. Now you just have to do some soul-searching (if you want to change), decide on some better habits and areas to focus, and just DO them until you start to enjoy those things and develop good habits around them. You can still enjoy many of the things you already enjoy, and your future success can still allow you to buy and do those things, just don't make that the primary focus, otherwise you'll lose focus on the tools that will lead you there.

giphy.gif

At its core, the primary issue at play in situations like these is a person having developed habits that lead to failure versus those that lead to success. I don't say that to be offensive, @built . I speak from experience, as I've developed a LOT of bad habits over the years. I am starting to find better and more consistent success though, for a few reasons. One of those is having great friends who were not afraid to call me out on my bullshit, especially when I've screwed up. Always a good thing having friends like that.

I reached a point in my life where I was just sick and tired of the same circle of events. Temporary success, failure, tough times, then more temporary success. It just gets old after awhile. The ubiquitous, "I'm too old for that shit!" point of self-realization. :wink: In the last few years, I took a long, hard look at my life and really made a significant effort (still a LOT of self improvement for me to do though) to change the things I want, and to develop new habits based around those.

For me, that instant gratification, the act of "buying" and acquiring all of these fun and exotic things (sports cars was one), was the driving force. I eventually reached a point of realizing that, I need to shift focus to wanting financial stability and success. In some cases, this demanded being more budget conscious, to the point of enjoying paying bills, as I know what that habit and self-control eventually leads to. I decided to really embrace self-restriction to the point of enjoying it. I would actually test myself, look at things I really wanted, in a similar manner to when I would impulsively buy them in the past...only to tell myself, "No, you can't have that right now." At first it sucks, but eventually I came to enjoy that self control.

The good thing is, you now know that you can generate some success when you're focused and determined. Now you just have to do some soul-searching (if you want to change), decide on some better habits and areas to focus, and just DO them until you start to enjoy those things and develop good habits around them. You can still enjoy many of the things you already enjoy, and your future success can still allow you to buy and do those things, just don't make that the primary focus, otherwise you'll lose focus on the tools that will lead you there.

This sounds exactly like me. I never actually looked at it as a habit, but i guess it would kinda be like going on a diet. You're building up to that final point where you look great (financial stability) and you are able to maintain and enjoy yourself. Where as if you just fed the instant gratification you would be just spinning your wheels.

It all makes sense now (at least to me). I guess you live and learn, the key factor is realising your mistakes and developing a plan to make sure it doesn't happen again.

This sounds exactly like me. I never actually looked at it as a habit, but i guess it would kinda be like going on a diet. You're building up to that final point where you look great (financial stability) and you are able to maintain and enjoy yourself. Where as if you just fed the instant gratification you would be just spinning your wheels.

It's actually a step farther and even deeper than that. So, say a person is trying to lose weight, build a great physique, etc. The reason most people fail is they approach it totally wrong. Often, they approach it with a negative mindset. They defeat themselves with every rep, as they mentally tell themselves, "This is too heavy! This hurts too much! I can't wait to be done with this!" Trying to drastically change one's life while still utilizing the same habits that have only ever resulted in their various failures, is a losing game. They can have that great vision of how they want to look, and they can be focused intently on it, and still totally fail because they're overlooking some fairly small, yet profound principles. There's a great quote from Einstein on this:

“We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them”

So where they failed is in not changing some of their most basic thoughts, words, actions, ultimately leading to more successful habits. In that same weight loss example, I would consider things I felt negatively about, and would try to change those perceptions. I would learn to enjoy that pain of breaking down muscles, to the point of NEEDING it. I wouldn't dread that trip to the gym. I would work to learn to love that trip to the gym and develop a feeling of joy and liberation. It would become the highlight of my day, and everything my day was always leading towards. I wouldn't put defeatist emotions into it, I would put RAGE into those weights. I would look at it like, "This weight is trying to hold me back and keep me from assuming my ultimate form. I'm gonna beat this motherfucker to submission, and I'm gonna WIN." Eventually these small perceptions and feelings would build habits. The habit of loving and looking forward to the gym. The habit of loving pain and loving self-sacrifice. The habit of pushing one's self to the limit, failing, and pushing past it. The habits are what will lead you to the success.

In other words, don't necessarily focus on the end goal. Focus on the small aspects of life that will get you there. The end goal then becomes a bi-product. It's a bi-product you still want, but if you focus squarely on that, your thoughts, words, actions and habits will likely never change enough to allow you to attain the goal.

Your personal money is on you. I have no feeling about that. Yours to make and yours to keep. Most of us have been there (I have been to 8 figures multiple times and lost it all multiple times). Do what you want with your own resources.

I winced when I figured out that I was a dick with other people's time and resources. Let that one sink in.

Building up money is not that difficult. Getting people to believe in you, help you, pour their energy into you and your projects and then to throw it all away because you got a bit tired or needed to melt down? That is childish. I have done that too. Once.

The second time I had to go it pretty much alone for the next build up. Then I had to help all the people I was thoughtless about along with a bunch of new people before they would even talk to me seriously. They helped me for around 3 months and then I burned the biz down in a month. It took me 6 months to get my income back up and then another 18 months to get the trust back of around 60% of the original group AND I was fucked in the same way by 4 other new guys.

This group might be better to you. And hey, no big deal in the whole scheme of things. Just something to think about. No apologies. Just go ahead and work-up a spreadsheet with all the names of people that helped you and start filling in 18 months of columns filled with ways to help all the rows of people you failed to think about when you decided their effort was not worth considering.

Back