How to create a tool to save articles on my site?

Degree
I have the idea to create for my website visitors a small tool to create a list of favorite articles they can save on my site.

Let's take the cooking niche as an example. As a visitor, I can create a list of "XXX recipe list" and add recipes to my list by clicking a save icon on the article. It should work without an account and be saved in the cookies so that the list is still there if the visitor returns to my site.

Is it only possible to create such a tool with custom code, or is there a WP plugin?

This is the kind of thing you should ask ChatGPT seriously.

You could do this easily with Javascript alone I think. Would also be easy to make with a Wordpress plugin, but seriously spend the $20 for ChatGPT 4 and ask it to write it in javascript, then add to the website using one of those Header/Footer script plugins.

What happens when a person clears their cookies? How would they get their old lists back?

Once the cookies are cleared, the lists would be lost, I assume. Would there be another possibility to save such information without using cookies and creating an account?

It sounds like you are looking for a Wordpress bookmarking plugin. There are 6 of them in that list.

Don't waste time reinventing the wheel, there are already solutions. Google is your friend, for now.

Instead of cookies, you could use local file storage, but nowadays when people clear their cookies and history they usually clear their cache too, which seems like it's bundled together in many cases like iOS and MacOS.

The real solution presents the real challenge... you need user accounts with the data saved server-side. Now you have to convince them to register in order to use bookmarks.

Back