How do you add GIFs to your sites?

• Ain't no GIFs on my site

• I self-host them

• I hotlink to a 3rd party site like GIPHY Imgur

• I self-host the GIFs I make and hotlink to ones I didn't create

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nat

Degree
Do you use 3rd party sites, or host them yourself? I'm always paranoid about copyrights. I think I'm just going to hotlink to GIPHY.

I rarely will use GIFs unless it's a BuzzFeed level of post for that crowd (It works so well). I self-host everything as long as you don't count a CDN. 3rd party reliance sucks. You can pull it off if you'll crawl for 404's once a month or more frequent, if you care about them going dead on you.

Considering adding anywhere from two to five 10-60s gifs on some informational tutorial articles we have but litehouse shows .gifs ruin LCP and FCP while mp4s embedded via the wordpress player seem to perform better.

I've looked into APNG and a few other formats / gif compression / conversion tools as well but it all seems cumbersome to get a quality (non-grainy) end product that has a relatively low file size.

Ofc, I can use photoshop, remove framed, reduce color and all this other BS but I'm trying to keep it stupid simple so support staff can follow instructions on the article, make the video, and upload it into the article w/o 20+ steps.

So this had me consider, should I just upload these 10-60 second clips to youtube and embed them on the post instead?

Maybe this could help with brand signals and I've also seen embedded videos show up in the featured image slot in the serps as well so that couldn't hurt either.

For reference, no other competitors have video tutorials on their posts but it would be helpful for the reader.

Back