Facebook Images - Content & Reach

Nat

Degree
The more text on an image, the more Facebook decreases reach & charges for paid ads. Does this also translate into non-paid content? Some of the hottest posts that I see in groups have images with more than 20% text. Is it different for groups vs pages and organic vs paid content?

I was not aware of this. Do you have source for it if you don't mind me asking

I was not aware of this. Do you have source for it if you don't mind me asking

I accidentally dropped the old percentage (20%) in the OP... whoops. Now its just a scale. Facebook will tell you that your ad is either OK, Low, Medium, or High. So, I assume just multiple levels and variations of %s based on the old 20%.

To see it, you can just create a new FB ad, add a lot of text over an image, upload use the image for the ad, and before you publish FB will warn you that your engagement is going to be lower because the the text.

Here is Jon Loomer's post on the change from 20% to levels.

Good info nat. tbh I would also consider the context with technical mechanics than just do what Facebook says, which is for a different context: ads. That means it's primarily for buy me, salesy images and graphics to direct CTA pages.

I would imagine with content based posts (news, editorials), having more text that you think would increase engagement matters more. Do you want to prioritize reach that Facebook might give vs maybe less reach, but more engagement?

Kind of why memes spread like wildfire inspite of this.

Not sure about non-paid content but I did want to mention that FB provides a tool for you to test your images:

I use text and it pushes better than those without text. Makes sense.

I noticed that yesterday uploading some new ads. I personally don't think it effects non paid content since see quite a bit with boosted pages that have text in the images.

Back