Email Marketing Model For Amazon Sites

Michael

BuSo Pro
Degree
This has got to be the hardest thing (so far) for me to get my head around. I'm running a tech review site & monetizing with amazon.

What I am trying to figure out is the best way to segment my list. So I have a tech site, obviously reviewing consumer electronics.

Questions
1. Would it make sense to make a broad list for every product I review?
Say I my site reviews headphones, GPS, and laptops. Should I make a list for each of those products, then capture those people who are interested in GPS --> and put them into my GPS list, etc etc.

2. Should I be getting really specific, and creating a GPS interest list, then a GPS desire list to capture the different buying stages my audience are at?

3. Apart from segregating my listing into product themes - what could be a more accurate approach?

4. Should you automatically segment based on the page the user submits their email from OR let them choose directly what interests them (using radio buttons / check boxes on the signup form)

Thanks!

Segment users on opens and click-throughs. Your approach assume someone landing on your GPS page is literally only interested in GPS products/reviews when they sign up for your newsletter. What if I'm interested in your overall brand.

When an email gets sent your system auto-segment/tag the users who opened and then the ones who clicked through. As you send more and more emails, you'll be able to distinguish what certain people like and what they don't, then when you know these 2,000 users out of your 10,000 list love Apple products, you can send them special Apple product reviews/accessories, or things especially for Apple. If you know a person never clicks through to Android stuff, when you do automated emails and are rotating through different offers, none of the offers should have Android stuff in them.

Basically it's personalizing emails based on their desires - essentially creating an echo chamber for them.

I don't know any system that does tagging and segmenting to that level right out of the box - at least not ones I've tried. If anyone has any suggestions on out of the box setups I'd love to test them out. Currently I've got all custom code for this at the moment.

I have a broad niche and I'm putting out a lot of product reviews for Amazon right now as well. Before doing the product reviews I tested a lot of email capturing and segmenting based on social aspects of the niche rather than products. Having so many segments, creating the AR's, and so on, took a ton of time that would have been better spent focusing on things like product reviews.

Anyway, now that I'm doing a lot of product reviews I'll eventually capture emails for them but will be more careful on what I spend time on. i.e. when a review starts getting a lot of traffic, and an email captures makes sense for it, I'll add it (sometimes individual products, sometimes for groups of them, etc) But I definitely won't add an email segment for every product. If you're putting out a ton of product reviews you won't have the time to do create proper segments and responder series for each one anyway, unless you outsource it.

One thing you can do to save time, is have one main segment, then have automated actions. i.e. if subscriber opens Welcome email but doesn't open followup, send email xx, or if person subscribes to taco segment and opens taco email, send him enchilada email, then move him to AR#1 in main segment, etc.

Look up email automation and you'll see what I mean.

Thanks guys.

180'd my approach now. It actually does make a lot more sense to start everybody on the one list, then create automations to get the finer details of each subscriber.

@CCarter I've been testing a bunch of different email marketing software this week, and by the looks of things there is a few that can achieve this. I was testing the lower $$ ones however.

Back