EIG sucks. Any good shared hosting?

Degree
Stayed with ASO longer than I should, so looking to move, anyone recommended any good shared hosting or decent hosting their personally using, not too expensive, but need good uptime, fed up of my site going down multiple times a day.

Been looking around but there is too much choice/conflicting opinions on other sites and don't really want to be moving my site 50 times.

TLDR: need hosting company like ASO was 3 years ago.

I've been with HostGator for 6 or so years with no issues. Decent prices and any time I've had to contact support they've been helpful.

Good and shared will never go together.

Depends on what you want to do with it? Cloudways, vultr, DO, linode, sparknode, knownhost, etc... Would all be better.

I've been with HostGator for 6 or so years with no issues. Decent prices and any time I've had to contact support they've been helpful.

Hostgator was purchased by EIG and saw an immediate decline in quality of service, specifically with Time-To-First-Byte issues and general speed beyond that. It's been a couple years now, I think. Maybe more.

I'm inclined to agree at this point. It wasn't always the case but shared hosting companies are like household appliances nowadays... "They don't make'm like they used to."

If you have a site that will receive even a modicum of traffic or will run any slightly significant processes behind the scenes, then you should be looking at a VPS at minimum. It's still "cheap" and shared, but in this case you are promised a certain amount of resources.

On classic sharing, they are always oversold and under-provided. Your resources are constantly in use by too many other people with unsuccessful attempts at load balancing. They basically sell 20 parking passes for every 10 parking spots and hope people's schedules never interfere with each other (they do).

I wish I could provide some recommendations but I did get rid of all of my shared accounts minus one (at Hostgator) for sites that are static with little traffic demand that need to stay indexed for now. I can't say I was thrilled by any of the 20+ I've tried.

If you do consider the leap to a VPS, I recommend Knownhost (yes, that's a BuSo affiliate link and necessary for the coupon). The reason I mention it is using that link plus the coupon BUSO15 will get you 15% off for life on a VPS-2 or higher. So basically, you can get the VPS-2 for the price of the VPS-1 and never worry about shared hosting again. I think it boils down to $30 a month (great when shitty shared is $11 or $12 at Hostgator now).

Thanks for your suggestion appreciate the reply and glad your having a good experience with EIG.

Depends on what you want to do with it? Cloudways, vultr, DO, linode, sparknode, knownhost, etc... Would all be better.

True I used to think the same and always used VPS/Dedicated after using a few crappy shared hosts that had mysql errors every 5 minutes, I only tried shared again when a few guys here were raving about ASO and TBH they have treated me well over the last 3 years, can't really fault them just been getting more down time and slower page load recently (for the reasons broken down by Ryuzaki) thats why i'm looking for somewhere else, but for the price can't really fault them, they have looked after me well the last 3 years with good support, although again it has been getting worse recently long wait times etc, not that I use it much.

Nothing fancy really just a few wordpress sites that's why shared is okay, but going to try Linode, they seem pretty good, will update if anyone is interested.

I recommend Knownhost (yes, that's a BuSo affiliate link and necessary for the coupon). The reason I mention it is using that link plus the coupon BUSO15 will get you 15% off for life on a VPS-2 or higher. So basically, you can get the VPS-2 for the price of the VPS-1 and never worry about shared hosting again. I think it boils down to $30 a month (great when shitty shared is $11 or $12 at Hostgator now).

Thanks for the well thought out reply :-)

Pretty much the same experience as you with shared overall, ASO was one of the few I ever had any form of good experience with.

Going to try Linode for now, because they seem good and then probably Knownhost when I need it, don't really need managed at this level although would make it easier down the line.

Thanks to all, if anyone else has any suggestions do post them though would be good to have a comprehensive post of what people use and are having good experiences with at any given time.

Keep in mind Linode is unmanaged by default... Not cost effective for most people once you add support. Knownhost is the better deal for managed hosting.

Hostgator was purchased by EIG and saw an immediate decline in quality of service, specifically with Time-To-First-Byte issues and general speed beyond that. It's been a couple years now, I think. Maybe more.

Ahh interesting, wasn't aware they were purchased by EIG.

Back