Dealing with people not crediting content?

built

//
BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Degree
So I made an infographic and it has done pretty well, but there is one site in particular that posted my infographic but never gave me credit for it. The domain has over 500k links, so I really want the backlink.

I emailed them and they havent changed it (even though in the past I have emailed them and they changed it, now not so much)

What should I do? keep sending follow up emails?

Have the embedded it, or rehosted it? I normally drop a watermark at the bottom, but some people do trim it.

The obvious answer is that you could reach out and ask for a credit. If you hate them, you could send a form DMCA but you won't get any links out of it. Or you could worry about shit you can control and move on, do moar, destroy and stack bread.

Edit: just saw you already reached out. use sidekick to see if theyre opening the email or not getting it. could always reach out on twitter or public forum in some way and you're probably more likely to get a response that way.

2 quick thoughts...

1) You have your logo and stuff on the infographic itself I'm sure, so at least there's that.

2) They're probably promoting the page that they posted your infographic on and they're getting traffic and ad revenue from that. You can do that, too. You can post other people's infographics on your site, then you can traffic leak that page, you don't have to make your own infographic each time.

you could also make a post/page about them stealing content and not giving propper credits, then make that bad boy go viral and ofcourse remember to tell them about the new post.
If you want to spend a lot of time with it or can automate it then go and make a shit storm happen about the very them and the fact that they stel content from others, I am confident that this isn't the first time this has happend and if it is then it sure marks a new path of their etchical and moral values, now theese are most "fun" to go after if they do pride themselfs with high morals and etchics.

you could also make a post/page about them stealing content and not giving propper credits, then make that bad boy go viral and ofcourse remember to tell them about the new post.
If you want to spend a lot of time with it or can automate it then go and make a shit storm happen about the very them and the fact that they stel content from others, I am confident that this isn't the first time this has happend and if it is then it sure marks a new path of their etchical and moral values, now theese are most "fun" to go after if they do pride themselfs with high morals and etchics.
They actually do it all the time, they quote "imgur" as the source, even when the poster provides the correct source

--

Thanks for the responses @dresden & @j a m e s

You can be angry that they steal your content. You can lose a lot of time without any result. You can even send a DMCA and ensure that it is removed. But what if there are tens that steal your content?

or

You can be proud that your content is better than the competition. And that the competition will also see you as a better site.

Create a better watermark in the future

Realize that there may be dozens to copy your content.

Spend the time to do what you are good at and promote your page / infographic.

I do not think that people care that they stole your content. Give them no additional promotion by naming them on your site.

They actually do it all the time, they quote "imgur" as the source, even when the poster provides the correct source

hmmmm I can't help but wonder how they would react if someone did the same to them and their content.
Now ofcourse I'm not saying to steal their content and throw it up on a bunch of parasites without giving them propper credits, just to see how they react or even to see if it might hurt them in rankings and traffic. I am mearly thinking out loud here, I would never advice anybody to do anything that could potentially hurt a competitor LOL

Yeah if they are a legit big brand website... that could do incredibly well.

Everyone loves the "big bad brand bullying the small guy" narrative.

Not something to worry about in the long term. Just proof your shit is good. If you didn't brand it well enough, that's on you. Can't ensure everyone's a good actor, always linking—most of the people in here probably wouldn't either. Just keep creating good stuff.

On a practical note, you could offer to write them a post for your next infographic to make up for lost link in this one.

Not something to worry about in the long term. Just proof your shit is good. If you didn't brand it well enough, that's on you. Can't ensure everyone's a good actor, always linking—most of the people in here probably wouldn't either. Just keep creating good stuff.

On a practical note, you could offer to write them a post for your next infographic to make up for lost link in this one.
I always make sure to brand and watermark everyone I make so at least theres that lol. I was thinking about contacting huffingtonpost as well, because they like infographics

I've not tried this but I read about it once.

Take one of your previous infographic attempts that did real well (whether from Reddit traffic or whatever) and gather proof of the traffic. I wouldn't show where it came from, just the numbers.

Email a link to your infographic and show the traffic proof in the email as an image. Offer to give them your next one as an exclusive. Tell them they can have it and promote it for a full week before you put it on your own site. Don't even worry about a link. If you get one, cool. If not, doesn't matter.

After you get this done, you can then post it on your site and start your normal outreach campaign to smaller sites, using your post on the big site as social proof. It'll have gained shares and links and all of that. Mention anything you can to show you're a big shot and that the infographic rocks.

Your goal is to get them to share it on their own site now, but with a link back to your site (not the big one that got the exclusive). You're trying to leverage the influence of the big site to convince them.

If it goes well, you can rinse and repeat for lots of industries, making your infographic tangentially related to the other vertical or niche.

This is the Internet after all... people are going to copy.. just the way it goes. The upside is that your content is good enough to be copied.

Back