Confused on How to Approach the Crash Course

Degree

TL;DR: I've made a site that hasn't been growing for past 3 years without any prior planning and after reading the crash course figured out most of the things I did wrong. Looking for advice on how to properly apply my newly learned teachings from the crash course to my current site: tear it down and start fresh or find existing problems and make the fixes where possible?

I've read through the crash course and skimmed some of the information. The things are amazingly useful and the overall course is pretty actionable. However, I'm having some issues on how to approach it with my current website.

The crash course, from what I can tell, is aimed at (almost) total beginners who just have this dream of running a successful business but don't know how to achieve it. It provides them with this blueprint of how to make that dream come true; guiding you from point A to point B in the internet marketing world.

I, however, already have a website in place but if you were to ask me what my plan or strategy is with the website - I have nothing.

I just wake up some day and think "hmm I guess I'll write a post on my blog today" write one, optimize it for SEO, make it pretty with pictures, etc. and post it. Some rank, some don't, some get traffic and make a few dollars, others don't - that's been my strategy up till now.

Some Personal Background

Problem is, I kinda nosedived into internet marketing without much prior planning. I was initially a content writer, writing for clients but had the idea of starting my own blog. I started the blog in a niche which I had hands-on experience and have a bit of knowledge on the subject (although I'd still consider it to be intermediate level knowledge). So, since all I thought of was to just start a blog without overthinking it, I went all in without any planning.
It's been about 3 years since I started that blog, I've written all the posts myself (about 90 of them) and in the first year I didn't see any growth (which I had mentally prepared myself for as SEO takes time on a new site) After a year or so I saw some growth and learned how to monetize the site with ads and affiliate marketing. The most visitors I've gotten in a month was like 10k and the most money I've made in a single month is about $150 (Ezoic + Amazon) This was last year btw on the 4th Quarter

Thing is, it's been like that for 3 years, I didn't experience any growth, rather visitors had stagnant at about 5k users per month with about 8k pageviews - which is where they stand currently as I'm writing this...

On my second year, I did actually quit working on the site for about 3 months. I told myself I'm doing it just to give myself time to prepare for my exams, but tbh I didn't want to return to the site. I thought it was a lost cause cuz the niche is very competitve (although I've been able to exploit some sub-niches for traffic in the initial stages) and just left it as a passive side income until it inevitably dies. It rolled in about $50-80 per month (which it still does nowadays) in passive income and since I live outside the U.S. in a third-world country, the exchange rate works in my favour. To just give you an idea, I was able to pay off my gas and internet bill as well as for domain + hosting just on $80-$100 - which seemed kinda nice and also gave me a sense of responsibilty

Why I Want to Take This Seriously

Living expenses are on the rise and if there's ever a problem discussed in my family - it's about money. Currently, I'm in my early twenties and balancing university and content writing. I'm currently working with just 1 long-term client (out of the 3 I used to have) and since it's a local client, I'm probably not earning to my potential as I know I can make about 3x the amount if I start applying on the international market.

Thing is, I don't want to be a content writer working for clients all my life. I want to start my own thing. My dad, although supportive of whatever career I take on, constantly pushes me to extend my content writing efforts and apply for international clients and outsource the content to other writers - basically create a content writing agency of sorts. He also discredits the idea of running my own online business as he thinks there's more future in content writing and because that's the thing that's currently brining in some significant income and because clients are quick money whereas a blog will take a lot of time to rank and give a positive ROI.

But, although I believe it's a good idea, one that I could play on as my strength is high-quality content writing, I want to run my own website and have writers for my own business and profit off of that. So, I'm a bit conflicted rn. My dad thinks I'm making a big mistake by relying on one client for my income rather than sending dozens of proposals on UpWork and landing international level clients. Whereas I look at it from the perspective that I'm just working as a writer until my own website kicks off so I don't rely on any clients and could rather diversify my income from there (similar to how people talk about building their side business to the point where they can leave their current job and work on it full-time).

I also think this is the only time I could actually risk losing a client and thus the additional side income I'm getting from him for the sake of running my own online business as currently my elder brother and my dad are also contributing to the finances. So, even if I'm not earning something, I have something to fall back on - and I don't think I'll have that opportunity in the future in 1-2 years time.

I Found Out About BuSo and Am Trying to Give It Another Shot

I found out about BuSo from watching an interview of Kyle Roof on Matt Diggity's channel where he talked about @CCarter SEO Avalanche technique after that I was amazed by the value provided here and thought if there was a mentor out here in this world to guide me to achieving internet success - it's coming from this forum

So, I found the crash course and read all about it. However, here's my main question after skimming it through:

Since I've started my website, which has aged at about 3 years and has topics all over the place - some ranking great and others not so good - how do I implement the techniques discussed in the crash course? For example, I didn't make any customer personas nor did I know who my target audience is, now after reading the crash course I realize that's something you do BEFORE you start the site, not after.

So, part of me thinks I should revamp the site (I'll keep the posts, etc. but like I'll totally change the site layout, probably get it offline for a couple of days or weeks until I create a proper architecture, get the technical stuff fixed, and design a site that appeals to my ideal audience) following the guidance teached in the crash course and stick to it through thick and thin.

But, at the same time, part of me thinks it's a waste of time and I should just push up my publishing routine and pray the traffic picks up (smartly obv. I'm currently posting some SEO avalanche content and I'm able to rank those posts on the first page of Google fairly quickly - but since I just started and they're low vol. I haven't seen any positive results yet)

What's better in your experience, what do you think would make more sense in my situation?

So, I guess if I were to summarize my situation with an example it'll be like this:

"I dreamed of building a huge, beuatiful hotel that accomadates people from all over the world. I didn't have a blueprint at hand nor any building experience, but I had passion, so I made that building - all by myself. After a few years, I realized people aren't coming to my newly built place and those that come leave to never return. Then some generous people from BuSo came by and told be everything that's wrong with my building and gave me a blueprint that teaches you how to build a reliable building from scratch. Now, how do I apply that to my already built builiding? Do I just tear down the current structure and start again this time with a concreate plan in place or do I just find optimization opportunities which I could fix given my current resources without taking things apart?

Welcome, sounds like you're in a pretty good spot and had some success already with a part time blogging project.

First of all, I would advise against taking drastic actions and taking the site offline or changing the architecture before understanding if you would even win by that.

What you should do is figure out what keywords you are ranking for and which can be improved. Ahrefs is excellent for this and I believe you can add your site for free and see which keywords and phrases and questions you are ranking for.

You can also use Google Search Console to see the same and I assume you have Google Analytics set up?

What you want to do is a get a good understanding on which pages gets traffic, what keywords, phrases and questions are behind it, and which keywords you are ranking for, but outside page 1.

Say if you see in Ahrefs that you rank 17th for "How to make pandan flavoured keto pancakes" but you don't have any content on pandan or keto, only on pancakes.

Then you know what to do, either update some existing content, say the pancakes blogpost (that wasn't drawing much traffic) or create a new blogpost about that. Then as that blogpost takes off, you will in Ahrefs and Google Search Console see even more ideas. Maybe your pandan searches are getting numerous, now you create an entire category and write everything to know about that.

Your beginning goal then is to learn about:

1. Keyword research
2. Content clusters and grouping keywords together
3. Content analysis using tools such as GSC, Ubersuggest and Ahrefs
4. Writing content based on 1-3
5. $$$ profit

So really, for you, it's keyword research that you need to understand and master. There are plenty of vidoes on Youtube on how to do this. I recommend the older Income School and Matt Diggity.

Thanks so much for your reply

After reading your comment it's clarified some stuff for me. I have already set up GSC and Analytics and I'm pretty good at keyword research (although I've never really considered GSC for content ideas other than ranking for some easy-win long-tails). I just recently attached my domain to Ahrefs' free web master tools that gives me a bit of an insight on my ranking keywords but haven't managed to utilize it yet - I just linked it to find any technical issues like missing meta descriptions or alt tags.

I guess my main issue was with actually organizing the stuff together and knowing what to target first and now I have somewhat of an idea

For topical authority, I've been reading on @Ryuzaki 's NERD post from the On-Page SEO day and created a few clusters but then again didn't know where to start - so that ended up more like a way of procrastinating than figuring things out.

Since I didn't have a plan in place I ended up writing about 1-2 posts on 10 different sub-categories within my vertical without really linking things which I guess might've hurt the authority? Anyways out of those 10 about 3 of them have 1-2 posts that are ranking really good and bringing the bulk of the traffic - I guess I'll target those by creating a silo of sorts and a money page that all other articles link to.

However, I do have a follow-up question:

Although I might be ranking for a few keywords based on some of my previous posts, how do I figure they're worth targeting? I usually check Ahrefs' free KD tool to analyze a keyword and there are many that show no search vol. I also manually check these on Google SERPS just to get an idea of the potential but there are many such topics that aren't fully related to the post or have a different intent

So, for example, let's say after analyzing GSC I saw that I am ranking 17th for "How to make pandan flavoured keto pancakes" so I think about writing an article that targets that term. But, when I search the SERPs there's nothing there or at least the existing topics don't target the topic directly like: "Are Pandan Flavoured Keto Pancakes Really Healthy?" or "What I Eat in a Day for My Keto Diet Plan"

So these articles might talk about pandan flavored keto pancakes and the author might have a small paragraph in there that discusses a recipe of how to make it, but won't I get the intent wrong if I make a separate article targeting that same keyword? Also would I be able to beat higher DA domains that do this as I'm targeting the topic directly compared to them?

Or am I just overthinking this and should just start writing the posts and see where it leads me?

However, I do have a follow-up question:

Although I might be ranking for a few keywords based on some of my previous posts, how do I figure they're worth targeting? I usually check Ahrefs' free KD tool to analyze a keyword and there are many that show no search vol. I also manually check these on Google SERPS just to get an idea of the potential but there are many such topics that aren't fully related to the post or have a different intent

So, for example, let's say after analyzing GSC I saw that I am ranking 17th for "How to make pandan flavoured keto pancakes" so I think about writing an article that targets that term. But, when I search the SERPs there's nothing there or at least the existing topics don't target the topic directly like: "Are Pandan Flavoured Keto Pancakes Really Healthy?" or "What I Eat in a Day for My Keto Diet Plan"

So these articles might talk about pandan flavored keto pancakes and the author might have a small paragraph in there that discusses a recipe of how to make it, but won't I get the intent wrong if I make a separate article targeting that same keyword? Also would I be able to beat higher DA domains that do this as I'm targeting the topic directly compared to them?

Or am I just overthinking this and should just start writing the posts and see where it leads me?
Well, assuming that an article on 'How to make pandan flavoured keto pancakes' has a search volume that is interesting, the fact that you are ranking #17 with a page that doesn't target it directly tells you three things:
i) the phrase is not that competitive (which is good, as long as there is traffic)
ii) you can probably rank better for it if you write a page dedicated to that topic/improve the content on your existing page (whichever fits your plans for the site better)
iii) that your site can probably rank for similar phrases

So that should give you some practical things to research and do with your current site.

Well, assuming that an article on 'How to make pandan flavoured keto pancakes' has a search volume that is interesting, the fact that you are ranking #17 with a page that doesn't target it directly tells you three things:
i) the phrase is not that competitive (which is good, as long as there is traffic)
ii) you can probably rank better for it if you write a page dedicated to that topic/improve the content on your existing page (whichever fits your plans for the site better)
iii) that your site can probably rank for similar phrases

So that should give you some practical things to research and do with your current site.
Yeah, I understand what you're saying

Okay, so I guess all that's left to do is disappear for a few months and crank out content - but this time with a plan in mind - and let it rank

Finally, I want to thank you and @bernard for replying and giving me some direction, I hope this site goes the way I want and hopefully with these pointers in mind I'll finally get the ball rolling

It seems you already know the basics here, so what you might want to do is approach this in a more organised and deliberate manner, which seems to be what you're asking for.

Do you have a spreadsheet with your keywords and for your keyword research?

I use Google Sheets, because it can easily integrate with other apps such as GSC.

Make a spreadsheet with keywords, then as columns have stuff like Keyword Volume, but also then add a column like "Topic" or "Content cluster" or "Category". That allows you to group keywords and to filter them easily, when you decide to build out that part of your site.

Then to help you decide which keywords are within your difficulty limit, you can add some more columns to add information. This is really part of the "secret sauce" of any SEO operation, but you probably now the basics, such that if there is User Generated Content (True/False) or what the lowest Ahref DA is for the top 3 results. Finally, and probably most important, is the Search Intent satisfied? If the search intent is not satisfied, such as if the top 10 results are "keto pancakes" but none with pandan in the Title, then it's easy pickings usually.

That's to show you, with a spreadsheet, you can break down your content creation decision making into smaller parts.

If you wanted, you could assign weights/scores to these criteria, along with the keyword volume and so you could create your own score for which keywords to target.

The key here is to move away from the "I'll write what I feel like" and towards a "I'll write what I feel like - from a list of keywords I've curated".

This idea that you need to start over, or rebuild all at once, isn't anything you need to concern yourself with. Starting over is possible, but you've not indicated there's anything wrong with your site. You've just not put in the RIGHT work. If you do want to change a lot of things with the existing site, do it incrementally as to not completely disrupt your current rankings and revenue.

Here's a quick list of things you can work on:

The existing content can probably be re-optimized for keywords it's performing well for. New content needs to be aimed at keywords you did keyword research for. You need to choose a specific niche if you haven't and stick to it so you build out topical authority. Don't be afraid to delete off-the-wall, off-topic posts that don't suit the site any more. You probably need to do marketing and acquire some backlinks. Set up all your social media profiles and get them integrated into the site with sameAs schema and populate those profiles with some content. Here's a bunch more items you can work on that may or may not be appropriate at this point in the lifetime of your site.

As I read your post there was a lot of things that I felt weren't strong, logically. I won't remember it al but I'll try. Your dad probably isn't aware of how AI is disrupting the content world more than anything. He may not be aware that your ROI will drop severely when you go the agency route, which you'll have to make up with scale, which will create a ton of paper pushing, which will need another employee, which will further reduce ROI. It's not a bad schtick but it's not the end-all-be-all, especially with the AI disruption going on. Every agency already successful that knows way more than him and you about it is currently pivoting and trying to figure out how to retain their client list and survive the shifting landscape.

Also, I recall that you said something about having only one client and feeling assured they aren't going anywhere, which is giving you a runway to build out your site. There's zero diversification in your business that way. They could cancel with you tomorrow for all you know. Don't be assured about anything.

To make up for this you're wanting to get your site cranking but you also said you didn't work on it for 3 months and didn't want to return to working on it. You're gonna have to shake that shit off pronto if you want to hang your hat on this website or this business at all. If it's a problem with the site, then start something else (and realize you're rewinding time and waiting on the algorithm from day one again). If it's fear-based then that's just something we all deal with, especially when we're younger in the game and don't have capital and previous wins to build confidence. If it's a motivation problem, you need to start a new site or start paying for other people to do the writing so motivation isn't a part of the equation.

This idea that the crash course is for beginners and you're not one is false. You are still a beginner (I'm sure this sounds rude in your head, I don't mean it that way at all) and the crash course has information for intermediates and experts, too. The idea that it's not somehow applicable to your site because you already started working on it is bogus, too. You'll be making changes constantly as the business continues, if you're listening to your data and to the market. You'd be crazy to say "well, I can't make these changes, it's too late." You will always walk the razor's edge. It's a balancing act and you only balance by making constant changes.

Reading both your replies I do realize it's more like a mindset + organization problem going on with me. I don't think there's a problem with the site in general but I guess because the niche is more so geared towards professionals and industries (not B2B tho) and has some high DA competiton - I just felt a bit overwhelmed and doubted my abilities.

Like, without disclosing the actual niche, you can say I'm running a site for plumbers - where people can learn about plumbing and be a successful plumber themselves and my main monetization strategy is display ads + selling courses on plumbing (Coursera, LinkedIn, and Udemy mostly) and the way I'd approach that is by making posts talking about plumbing and then linking those to my main money page which would be talking about something like "the 10 Best Courses to Learn Plumbing for Beginners" or something

Since plumbing is a skill, which could be turned into a profession, I just felt that this niche isn't as promising as many other B2C ones which incorporate a larger, more general audience, but I guess that's just my self-doubt talking.
It seems you already know the basics here, so what you might want to do is approach this in a more organised and deliberate manner, which seems to be what you're asking for.
That is kinda what I am asking for. I don't really have any real direction like:

1) research and arrange keywords on a spreadsheet
2) create topical clusters
3) Write 3 posts targeting each cluster a week etc.

It's just a spray n' pray kinda situation
The key here is to move away from the "I'll write what I feel like" and towards a "I'll write what I feel like - from a list of keywords I've curated".
Yeah, it is starting to feel that way now that I have somewhat more clarity on this
Also, I recall that you said something about having only one client and feeling assured they aren't going anywhere, which is giving you a runway to build out your site. There's zero diversification in your business that way. They could cancel with you tomorrow for all you know. Don't be assured about anything.
That isn't exactly what I said. Basically, the assurance I had was that my dad and elder brother already make enough money to take care of the basic house expenses and my income, that I earn from my client, is usually contributed to some smaller house bills like gas and electricity. However, I agree that I shouldn't be assured with that, and I'm not - that's why I wanted to start my own site in the first place because the client could just dissappear one day and then I'll be sitting with no extra income. But right now I don't really have any significant income - how could I manage to diversify for my business currently? I'm sure I might've missed something or I think I'm misinterpreting what you're trying to say?
To make up for this you're wanting to get your site cranking but you also said you didn't work on it for 3 months and didn't want to return to working on it. You're gonna have to shake that shit off pronto if you want to hang your hat on this website or this business at all. If it's a problem with the site, then start something else (and realize you're rewinding time and waiting on the algorithm from day one again). If it's fear-based then that's just something we all deal with, especially when we're younger in the game and don't have capital and previous wins to build confidence. If it's a motivation problem, you need to start a new site or start paying for other people to do the writing so motivation isn't a part of the equation.
I'll definitely have to bite the bullet and shake off my doubts about not being able to achieve my goals with this site. I definitely don't want to start a whole new site in a different niche because, knowing myself, I'll start making up excuses for my failures and would just end up half-assing multiple sites instead of sticking with one because it "didn't seem right" to me. I guess I do get a bit low on motivation but I've convinced myself enough that being in this business is more about discipline than motivation as I've relied on motivation before and it feels more like a temporary high that inevitably dies down - I've learned from my mistakes and I'll have to get serious with this site by working through some of the monotonous routines I'll experience along the way before this site kicks off the way I plan.

I also don't want to rewind time on the algorithim. My site is strong enough that if I write a fully SEO-optimized post on a moderately low vol. post it's able to rank within the top 20 almost a day or two after publishing - and slowly pushes through to the top 10 - so I wouldn't want to start a totally new site, I'm getting clearer on that as I read on
The idea that it's not somehow applicable to your site because you already started working on it is bogus, too. You'll be making changes constantly as the business continues, if you're listening to your data and to the market. You'd be crazy to say "well, I can't make these changes, it's too late." You will always walk the razor's edge. It's a balancing act and you only balance by making constant changes.
This is really assuring tbh. I've actually had that thought for many things I start and never really realized it's been holding me back. I thought there was this "perfect" approach to everything but I guess as I'm growing up I'm learning to see things beyond just black and white.

The existing content can probably be re-optimized for keywords it's performing well for. New content needs to be aimed at keywords you did keyword research for. You need to choose a specific niche if you haven't and stick to it so you build out topical authority. Don't be afraid to delete off-the-wall, off-topic posts that don't suit the site any more. You probably need to do marketing and acquire some backlinks. Set up all your social media profiles and get them integrated into the site with sameAs schema and populate those profiles with some content. Here's a bunch more items you can work on that may or may not be appropriate at this point in the lifetime of your site.
Finally, I guess here's what I'm mostly looking for. I did skim through the SEO Kitchen Sink method and guess I'll start with the On-Page stuff and see if there's any optimization opportunities left for my existing posts as that's what I'm most comfortable with. I'll then slowly work through getting out of my comfort zone to the more scary stuff like technical SEO and link-building - which I've avoided for the longest time

Well, I cleared my schedule today to dedicate to start getting this site back up on its feet, here's what I'm planning to do in the coming days/weeks/months:

1) Create a spreadsheet of content ideas from GSC (I partially did this yesterday and found some opportunities for new content)

2) Arrange the keywords into topical clusters including the posts I currently have on my site and fit them in their appropriate clusters

3) Leave the completed list for a while and run the Kitchen Sink method on my site

4) Optimize existing posts based on suggestions from GSC and the Kitchen Sink method (I've already spotted over-monetization and interlinking as possible issues with my content)

5) Optimize some other technical things on the site that are within my control and knowledge (can't seem to wrap my head around the schemas and disavow links)

6) After running the Kitchen Sink method come back to the spreadsheet and start creating the money pages for topics that allow it (like the ones I mentioned in an example before about the selling courses for plumbing) so that they have some time to rank

7) After creating the money pages, write the other related posts within the cluster and link upwards to the money pages creating a kind of silo

8) Finally start working on marketing my site like a brand online and performing outreach to aquire some backlinks (I'd probably try to outsource this as the site starts making some decent cash)

This seems easy on paper but I'll probably have to work day and night to actually get some traction. But, I guess this looks like a good plan and a great starting point. Am I missing something? Let me know, I deeply appreciate it

I'm going to be blunt...

You need to put in a LOT more work and significantly increase your productivity.

Stop fking around put your nose to the grinder and grind it out because the truth is that you need a LOT more content than your 90 posts over the course of 3 years. That's too little and too slow.

Start publishing at least one article per day for the next 6 months and see what that does for your traffic. If you achieve that, it'll add 180 articles of content to your site. You'd have literally done twice as much you've done in those 3 years but at a fraction of the time...

---

One common theme that I see among most people is that they hop on the boat of life and then just let it sail. They let the waters push them left... push them right... sometimes a good wind comes and pushes them forward.

People react to the waves of life and let it take them where the wind blows.

People like to plan life going forward and leave their options open and flexible to change.

Don't do that. You need to start by being clear with where you want to END and then plan your life backwards from that point.

If you do it that way, a lot of "options" are no longer options because they become non-negotiable. You MUST do it and you MUST succeed in order to arrive at your destination.
I, however, already have a website in place but if you were to ask me what my plan or strategy is with the website - I have nothing.

I just wake up some day and think "hmm I guess I'll write a post on my blog today" write one, optimize it for SEO, make it pretty with pictures, etc. and post it. Some rank, some don't, some get traffic and make a few dollars, others don't - that's been my strategy up till now.

"I just wake up some day and think hmm I guess I'll write a post on my blog today"

That's unacceptable behavior. That tells me you're treating this as an inconsequential game and you know what? You'll get the same respect in return. Your website will return inconsequential results.

Since you don't have a goal of where you want to be in the near future, I'll give you one.
  1. Take a piece of paper.
  2. Write on it: "Write 180 articles by 6 months."
  3. Stick that over your desk and let that shit stare at you in the face day in day out.
Last question for you... WHERE DO YOU WANT TO BE IN 6 MONTHS? Start with where you want to END and work BACKWARDS.

That my friend is called the lost art of visioning... Have you ever been asked, "so where do you see yourself in X years?" in an interview?

I appreciate you being blunt as I'm aware sweet talk would preserve my feelings and just give me more reason to not give this site my 100%

The perspective about hopping on the boat of life... I definitely see myself in that same boat. But, I think this time it's different. I've now realized I'm not the same boy I was 3 years ago who just hopped on that boat with my dad going to a fishing trip in a small lake. I'm in an ocean, and I'm all alone with my family waiting on shore expecting me to pull my own weight and make something of myself - they aren't there to throw me an extra paddle or call a lifeguard to get me on coast - nobody is

As I mentioned before, It's definitely a mindset + organization issue, but now that I have some direction I know what to target and don't have any lame excuse for myself to NOT write 180 articles in the next 6 months

I've already started to apply the guidance given here in the previous replies and have been working on making a list of topics ever since I wrote my last reply I'll be targeting and currently I've come up with about 40 different post ideas with about 10-20 per topic - so I'll be going at em' trying to optimize a topic and move on to the next one

I'm sure I might've promised myself something similar in the past, but this time it isn't just about me making an extra side income cuz I was bored. Now I'm partly responsible for the family expenses and well, I'm an adult I can't mess around anymore

Also, I've never worked as hard as I have ever since I started university just recently. I specifically opted for a virtual option (internationally recognized, high-standard degree tho not just a cheap $50 online course) just so I don't allow myself to compromise on my business, and fortunately I have really supportive parents. I've been hammering all my uni assignments and even the writing tasks my client sent me - all that was left was figuring out how to approach the blog and I know that now.

Just before typing this, I had started doing research on a new post, I'm going to be publishing that today before midnight to mark my start on this new journey

Back