Cleaning up Facebook Page followers

Degree
Hi,

I just bought a Facebook page quite cheaply for driving organic traffic. I'm interested in that Facebook page's American/European followers to get organic traffic to my website. The problem is that the page also has followers from other countries, which I'm not interested in. Is there a realistic way to remove a few thousand followers from other countries without manually going through it? Also, I know Facebook has a feature to restrict followers by country, has anyone tried that, and does enabling it for certain countries affect the organic reach of your page? Facebook also gives these warnings on their page if you enable restrictions:
Bear in mind that if your Page has country or age restrictions:
  • You may not be able to share posts to external sites.
  • You and others won't be able to see your Page when logged out of Facebook.
Would love it if someone with experience could weigh in here.

I'm not sure if it's possible, but my food-for-thought question would be whether or not having non-US/UK/CA audiences is actually harmful for you, or if they're just valueless. Because I imagine that they'll still send positive signals to Facebook's algorithms even if they can't help you once they reach your website. But will they harm you once they do? If not, I'd consider them a net positive.

I'm not sure if it's possible, but my food-for-thought question would be whether or not having non-US/UK/CA audiences is actually harmful for you, or if they're just valueless. Because I imagine that they'll still send positive signals to Facebook's algorithms even if they can't help you once they reach your website. But will they harm you once they do? If not, I'd consider them a net positive.
My logic is that if more Asian/African audience shares the content it invites even more followers from those countries. And the kind of content I regularly share may not be relevant to them ultimately killing the engagement. There's also the fact that the kind of comments I get from these other countries is very different from US ones probably due to the cultural differences. Not to mention non-English comments as well.
I ended up blocking those countries and so far there's no issue. I didn't bother with cleaning up the follower list as it was too time consuming.

The restrict followers by country option that you mentioned will do exactly what you want. I use it on some of my pages that are for the UK only.

Yes it will affect your reach, one thing I have often found with viral posts is that Facebook starts sending your content out worldwide and a lot of the views and traffic come from other countries. If you don't allow this then your reach is going to be affected.

That's not to say it's a bad idea, though, as a small but very well-targeted page with an engaged audience can get a whole lot of traffic on its own.

Back