YouTube Now Requires 10K views to Display Ads

Tay

Degree
S408wgp.jpg

Another angle Youtube is now going down, potentially due to the Youtube AD boycott, is now whitelisting youtube channels and not promoting ADs until that youtube channel has hit 10K views:

Starting today, we will no longer serve ads on YPP videos until the channel reaches 10k lifetime views. This new threshold gives us enough information to determine the validity of a channel. It also allows us to confirm if a channel is following our community guidelines and advertiser policies. By keeping the threshold to 10k views, we also ensure that there will be minimal impact on our aspiring creators. And, of course, any revenue earned on channels with under 10k views up until today will not be impacted.

In a few weeks, we’ll also be adding a review process for new creators who apply to be in the YouTube Partner Program. After a creator hits 10k lifetime views on their channel, we’ll review their activity against our policies. If everything looks good, we’ll bring this channel into YPP and begin serving ads against their content. Together these new thresholds will help ensure revenue only flows to creators who are playing by the rules.

Source: Introducing Expanded YouTube Partner Program Safeguards to Protect Creators

Sounds like something they should have been doing since day one... like I dunno, some kind of "Orientation" process like a certain forum has that has dropped spam and bad posts by 99.99%.

I don't know how they have a user-generated content system with no catch-all checks in place. That stops nearly all spam except from power spammers, who you then catch through reports since it pops out like a sore thumb at that point.

This is actually a good idea on YouTube's end. Most accounts under 10k are usually troll accounts used to report content creators for no specific reasons. Taking away their chance to get revenue is a useful and respectable option.

Plus, it gives you a reason to work your hardest to get the best out of your page. If your content isn't up to par, there is no reason for you to get paid on YouTube's revenue system.

However, I do worry about how videos will be treated under YouTube's new system. Another issue that needs to be tackled is the illegal/unjust flagging of the videos. Those under 10k accounts they are speaking about are still ran by people who want to get those high-end content creators banned.

One thing YouTube can do to combat this is to remove the amount of flags a channel has until they reach a good standing within YouTube's community. That way, we can see quaity content videos stay on the site and reduce the amount of fake reporting on YouTube.

While this was a good move I think, youtube is getting annoying. Very inconsistent. I dont know how people can rely on income when things change so much all the time. One month ur on the blacklist, next month you are 50% monetized. It's crazy. Just another reason to get a real job outside of the internet, when someone as big as youtube cant even be fair about payment, you know there is a problem.

Just another reason to get a real job outside of the internet

If you've been following the saga closely, you'd know the first round of monetization issues came from all of these commentators and vloggers using stupid tags about rape and violence to attract extra views. It turned out, unbeknownst to them, that advertisers would be filtering by tags. That really wasn't the fault of Youtube. It was kind of like using Scrapebox or Xrumer on your site and then blaming Google.

And of course, if they're playing on the fringes of social commentary and antagonizing the other side, they shouldn't have been surprised there either. They chased views without regard to future changes. Some of them earned a ton of cash from it. Some are left with videos that will keep getting views and strengthen their channels and fanbases over time that will watch their more "advertisable" videos. It's not a huge loss for anyone who's serious about the game. These people will pivot, maybe even to a new platform. Thus is life.

It's basically an Adsense program. There's a list of topics you can't use Adsense on like death, weaponry, violence, tobacco, alchohol, etc... pretty much all of the things these guys and girls were vlogging about... it's all right there in the TOS.

I guess I'm saying there was no actual surprise and no cause for outrage and no real victims. It was people skirting the line until the hammer came down. It came down and it was definitely a bunch of dirty collusion behind the scenes in the 2nd round of demonetization, but it is what it is. The TOS has always been very clear.

Thanks for the explanation. I guess the channels I heard talking about it weren't even really following it closely at all. They complain about youtube but I guess its always the community's fault, lol. Ruining it for others as usual. I'm surprised though, a couple of big channels that got hit badly were really misinformed apparently.

If you've been following the saga closely, you'd know the first round of monetization issues came from all of these commentators and vloggers using stupid tags about rape and violence to attract extra views. It turned out, unbeknownst to them, that advertisers would be filtering by tags. That really wasn't the fault of Youtube. It was kind of like using Scrapebox or Xrumer on your site and then blaming Google.

And of course, if they're playing on the fringes of social commentary and antagonizing the other side, they shouldn't have been surprised there either. They chased views without regard to future changes. Some of them earned a ton of cash from it. Some are left with videos that will keep getting views and strengthen their channels and fanbases over time that will watch their more "advertisable" videos. It's not a huge loss for anyone who's serious about the game. These people will pivot, maybe even to a new platform. Thus is life.

It's basically an Adsense program. There's a list of topics you can't use Adsense on like death, weaponry, violence, tobacco, alchohol, etc... pretty much all of the things these guys and girls were vlogging about... it's all right there in the TOS.

I guess I'm saying there was no actual surprise and no cause for outrage and no real victims. It was people skirting the line until the hammer came down. It came down and it was definitely a bunch of dirty collusion behind the scenes in the 2nd round of demonetization, but it is what it is. The TOS has always been very clear.

I don't know about that stuff but there are legitimate vloggers on there who are getting views taken away because YouTube doesn't like their politics. And these people have nothing to do with using certain tags.

And these people have nothing to do with using certain tags.

Yeah, that was Round 1 of this fiasco. Round 2 features YouTube demonetizing anything and everything about religion and politics based on content in the titles, descriptions, closed captions, and from flagged reports. It's not biased either, unlike Twitter and Facebook are doing. It's across the board, keyword based.

Thank God I am not in the niches of popular opinion / news

New Update:

Youtube has now done away with the 10,000 views restriction on channels before they can be monetized!

Reason to celebrate? Nope. It's even more strict now.

You now must reach 1,000 subscribers and get at least 4,000 hours of watch time in the last rolling 12 months.

And this time nobody is getting grandfathered in. By February the 20th, I think it was, if you don't meet these qualifications, your monetization will be removed.

Is this good or bad? I'd say it's good. It's preserving the ability for non-spammers to keep making money, and there should be a LOT more advertising inventory to go around, which will increase the revenue for content creators and bid pressure for advertisers. Everyone wins and spammers who rip your videos and steal your views will no longer have as much incentive. And you can bet they have some algorithm to run on your channel to see if your subscribers are real or not.

Things are getting better on Youtube, minus the mass-demonitization of anything political or spiritual, which is silly. But hey, there's so much content sometimes they have to take the lazy way out.

Meanwhile there's still some really weird stuff going down in the kid's sections (Elsagate).

@Tay thanks for the post. At first, I felt disheartened. I have a couple channel ideas I've been toying with, and now the goal posts seemed to have been moved. But that's not the way to look at it. Better angle: YT is cutting out trolls and spam- like @Ryuzaki said- and I for one feel motivated to be part of the cream that rises to the top.

I don't run a YouTube channel, but in my own view I think that the de-monetization issue isn't that big a deal.

Let me weigh the benefits of YouTube:
- Video hosting is expensive, YouTube is free and embeddable
- It is another social network to acquire more traffic into your property
- You earn additional adsense revenue by embedded content on your site
- Native advertising, sponsored content still works
- YouTube Ad revenue, if you get it, good for you!

Replace YouTube with Tumblr, Twitter, Medium or Facebook and suddenly it's called a traffic leaking strategy.

Remember that YouTube still doesn't generate meaningful revenue for itself either, so of course it's trajectory is going to change if it wants to improve. In the long run, that's good. Just look over at Tumblr, who now has (yet another) new boss under Verizon.

Anyone willing to have their cake exclusively at the YouTube cake shop on these filmsy parameters should expect to have their cake taken away from them, just as easily.

Back