Your opinion on Lists posts : Pagination or Not?

Degree
Hey guys,

I'm still super new at this 'build your online asset' type of thing and I am still hustling on my first site. My site is a list site about super general stuff (Think something like TheRichest or Listverse) and I was wondering what's your opinion on pagination?

Right now my site is 1 item // 1 page. I am running like that because I was making good money with adsense + arbitrage, but i've been banned from adsense a couple of weeks ago and haven't found any ads replacement yet. So right now the traffic is almost 0 as I am trying to build my organic + social traffic.

I'm starting to notice that most of these 'spam' sites really paginate EVERY item, where as 'brand' sites like TheRichest recently seem to have switched to a 1 page for all items model.

I'm not in a hurry to get money and I want to grow this site for the long term and hopefully make most of my money from the organic traffic + social traffic.

Could you guys help me figure out what option would be best?
PS : If you guys have any CPM networks to recommend that'd be great too

Thanks a lot,
John

I've done heavy pagination (10page pagination) hah. I switched to 1 page only a while back.

If you're going for arbitrage, paginate away. If you want to build a lasting asset, I say just 1 page. Users hate pagination.

As for CPM networks, with no traffic you'll have to go for the shitty networks that use popups and popunders as their method of CPM. For that go for Infolinks and Propeller. Once you get 500k+ pageviews a month, apply to Sovrn, Technorati, etc. See if you can get Amazon CPM ads as well.

The one CPM site that is a real CPM network and may still accept you with little traffic is Monumetric (formerly The Blogger Network).

As a user I hate pagination but I'm sure 50% of people are willing to click through all 10 pages.

Amazon CPM will let you use their ads if you're in their normal affiliate program. They have better fill rates at the same CPM's as Sovrn (I'm testing the two, trying to get into more because I don't have the 500k traffic yet). Sovrn didn't need 500k from me.

I've found that about half of people fall off at each additional page. So if I have 1,000 live users on page 1, there's roughly ~500 on page 2, ~250 on page 3... then it starts to drop off more significantly unless I've got some buried treasure on the last page that I can tease them with all the way down.

I watch the comments closely and never see complaints about pagination as long as the ads aren't annoying. I think people just accept it as a reality moreso than they did in the past when they would be more vocally against it, at least for my audience. It clicks the arrow for next page or else it gets the hose again.

I'd like to install a "Click here to view this article as one page" button at the top... that refreshes the article and loads it all as one page. Even when I'm getting less pageviews I'm getting more pageviews!

First of all, thanks you guys for all the replies! I see that both of these options seem to be somewhat viable in this current situation.

@j a m e s yep I know what you mean, TheRichest used to have that 'click here to view on 1 page' button but now they removed it and it's all on 1 page.

Even though they did that, they still have a 300x250 ad block every 2 bullet point (Item 1, 3, 5, 7, etc.) so I'm getting they're still doing decent numbers CPM wise

Back