You suck at marketing.

Degree
This isn't directed at anyone in particular, especialy not anyone on this forum (I'm new here, but you all seem to be the real deal. At least for the most part.)

I spend a lot of time in various marketing communities, boards, chats... and it just blows my mind how terrible a lot of people are at marketing in general. And these are people that CALL THEMSELVES marketers.

It blows my mind how little effort people put into things.

I don't care if you're selling trackback spam or car covers, you need to THINK.

Why is it that so many internet marketers are really bad at marketing? I think it might be the fact that we're all trying to do so many different things that none of it really gets done properly.

Thoughts?

Can I make a thread in the lab where I highlight some examples of what I'm talking about?

themonsta's gallery of marketing fails... or should that just go in the board room?

If I give critique and actionable suggestions I think that would make it lab-worthy...

I think it might be the fact that we're all trying to do so many different things that none of it really gets done properly.
I think you nailed it.

Can I make a thread in the lab where I highlight some examples of what I'm talking about?

themonsta's gallery of marketing fails... or should that just go in the board room?

If I give critique and actionable suggestions I think that would make it lab-worthy...
Solid plan, you don't need a mod to get that rolling, the lab doors are unlocked! Go forth and drop knowledge.

I think the lab is for case studies, like follow-alongs and what not. Not sure it's the perfect fit.

But I think you exposed the reason why most people suck at marketing. You have to THINK. And that's generally a no-go for most people. They want to be "thunk" for, not do the thinking themselves.

The lab says case studies and experiments... Your thread sounds like a case study to me, show bad examples of marketing and saying what they could do better... doesn't really sound like an experiment tho. Either way, I'm looking forward to it, that sounds fun.

Yeah, either way it sounds like something we could all learn from. Do eeeeet!

Marketing in five simple steps:

1- Find a "big" market. (Medium or big isn't the point, you need to know if it's profitable or not)

2- Find "problems" (needs and wants) have solutions to solve them. (a product or several products)

3- Inform people about it prons and cons and why is it better or unique.(Advertising isn't marketing)

4-When you start selling make them trust you. (client support and product quality development)

5-Profit and rinse and repeat. (revenue to keep your business going)

If you know these steps you already know marketing and maybe a pro at it.

Personally, my opinion is that a large portion of it has to do with a few simple, fundamental things like mindset. I'm Director of SEO at my SEM agency, which I feel sick even saying, as I wouldn't ever want to give the impression I'm one of "those people" that rests on their laurels, throws around titles, but is largely irrelevant/ignorant. That being said, I pretty much start out every day with the mindset of, "I don't know jack shit about marketing, so I better learn something else new today!" Personally, I think it's very important that I place a lot of pressure on myself in that regard, as each day that passes by, that I don't, I'm becoming less and less relevant. The ultimate fear being ending up as a highly respected member of the Moz community. LOL

I think a lot of people learn just a bit, have a bit of luck, get a big win....and it just stops for them. Maybe that only happens for them once in their career, and they just rest on that, convince themselves that they have a clue, and they keep lying to themselves until the point that the industry has passed them by and they are now irrelevant.

The easiest way I can think to describe what I feel like it is, is this. I think there are at least 2 main groups of people. Some people seek validation and they seek comfort and security. There is another group of people that seeks simply to continue learning. One group looks for comfort, the other looks to continually make themselves uncomfortable.

Back