Year Long Project

nmm

Degree
Greetings.

I completed the Digital Strategy crash course, made notes after re-reading each chapter, and it's time to put it into action. I'm starting a project that will be 1) a practical application of my learnings from the course, and 2) a launchpad for another project I have in mind for late 2021.

I figure my posts will become more verbose as time passes. My challenge for this week was to hit 'Post thread', and if you're reading it, I've nailed the challenge. Baby steps.

Great to meet everyone, and many thanks to the creators of the guide.

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Welcome. I'm glad you found value in the Crash Course.

What's the deal with this 1st project being a launchpad for another one? Is it legitimately somehow going to catapult the 2nd project, or is it serving as a learning project, or is it some kind of procrastination? If it's the latter I'd go straight for the kill and start the more important project, if that's what it is.

nmm

Degree
Yes, I strongly believe so and a couple of other players in the (crowded) space use a similar as a form of lead generation.

Not procrastination — an equivalent would be a project about taxes for eCommerce while working towards a CPA designation. Can't sell tax services until late 2021, but could send leads from the project to a licensed accountant and then replace their ad with my firm's when I get my designation.

nmm

Degree
Week 1

I am waiting on my branded domain name to transfer in. The domain was within the price range I had in mind, and the social usernames for major channels were more or less available, so I went right ahead and purchased an aged domain and grabbed the social usernames.

Niche Research
Did a quick bit of Niche Research (Day 2 of the course). I know first hand, from word-of-mouth and casual chats:
  • the seemingly infinite number of players in the highly fragmented niche AND vertical
  • how much money each sale is on average and per sub-vertical
I now have the somewhat comforting knowledge that played right, a year spent on building out this project won't go to waste. At worst, I can turn it into a full lead gen property. There is a lead gen property ranking on the first page, after all...

Market Research
Currently working on Market Research (Day 3): looking at competitors, making note of initial impressions of their websites, seeing what ads they are running (Facebook Ad library is a great repository), where they are based, etc.

Getting data for a hundred competitors is the goal for this stage. I'm already seeing some patterns and opportunities.

[to mods: should this post go into the Orientation sub-forum instead?]

Last edited: