Would you use AMP for a Shopify Store?

Degree
I know that AMP is great for blog posts and blogs in general since it will increase your chances of showing up on Google mobile feeds. However, I work with a lot of Shopify sites and a few clients have AMP installed for products! I think its kinda useless because a product page is not something that Google would want to show in their mobile feed.

My logic is. Why would they show your product page in the feed? It adds no value to them or the user?

Am I wrong?

I think the premise that you only use AMP to show up in a mobile feed is where this logic train is going off the tracks. If you're talking about the Google Discover feed, I show up in it plenty without AMP (not Shopify or eCommerce though).

The main reason to use AMP, I think, is to improve your page speed scores easily and to let Google preload your sites from the SERPs so when a user clicks your result your page loads even faster.

I think the reasons not to use AMP far outweigh any benefits, though my main beef is no longer an issue, which was them highjacking your URLs.

The main reason to use AMP, I think, is to improve your page speed scores easily and to let Google preload your sites from the SERPs so when a user clicks your result your page loads even faster.

Thanks for the feedback. Just makes me confident in what I was saying before.

In terms of Shopify, I think AMP is useless because sites will make their product pages AMP optimized. However, most product pages will not show in the serps or rank for anything on the first page, since most of that are the big names (amazon, target, walmart, wikipedia, etc..).

Even if they do rank! The traffic will most likely flow to Google shopping (since its very eye catching and you can scroll and see as many products as you want) and rarely do users scroll and find a specific product page and click to it. Only exception if is they type in the brand name + product they are looking for and even then, if you have a mobile optimized site (which Shopify is), then that's all you need.

Back