Would you spy on your writers?

Potatoe

BuSo Pro
Degree
I would appreciate some feedback on these two ideas.

I can think of pros and cons to both of them, and I'm curious if they are even things that people would want.

1) I'm tossing around the idea of starting to work on articles in Google Docs or another collaborative tool and giving clients the URL so they can check on the progress of their order at any time, in real time.

2) I'm also thinking of a calendar-based system for taking content orders. Each day would be blocked off with x amount of output, which people would then book for themselves like you would a trip to the dentist or a restaurant reservation. Everyone would have a better idea when their articles will be completed, but I could also see this being a nightmare in a lot of ways. I don't currently use a calendar, so maybe just having that on the backend for myself could achieve similar results.

What pros and cons can you think of for either of these ideas?

That's not spying, that's project management and client relations.

That's not spying, that's project management and client relations.

I mean, yeah... I'm giving them the URL to check in on their article while it's being worked on, so it's not deep cover espionage from a secret Russian sub or anything. My bad, I thought it was pretty clear that I was being tongue in cheek with the title lol.

If you ordered a batch of articles and could check out the progress anytime you wanted instead of having to wonder how they were coming along... is that worthwhile or not something you would bother doing?

That's certainly beneficial and something I would check on especially when starting with a new writer/business/whatever.

Probably not so much to see the progress unless they offered a deadline, but to do real-time style edits and adjustments. If I ordered a batch and got them all at once and they all have the same issue, that sucks. If I can catch it when they're 10% done with the batch it can easily be fixed.

It could also alleviate a lot of (un)necessary communication. Instead of having to go back and forth with emails, they can receive the files on their own schedule. I know I get a little overwhelmed when I get 5, 10, or 20 2,000 words articles all at once instead of fed one at a time.

If I had my own team I might care about this kind of observation, especially when I couldn't get in touch with a writer. But for outsourcing in general, no I don't care. I just want the finished product before or on the agreed due date.

The live doc is cool though if you can annotate things as they work and help them understand what you like or don't like right then and there.

The calendar idea I'd might keep internally. I wouldn't want potential clients privy to my workload or feel like they have to wait to get their work done. I'd guess that many will simply find a different writer than wait. I'd rather accept all the work I can and be forced expand by hiring writers. I imagine people dedicated to using you might like it, but I feel like that system would hurt your growth far more than help.

I can't imagine the can of worms that would be opened if a client had access to a document in the early stages of a draft.

Certain people in life, especially newbies to outsourcing, are more anxious than others. They will be up your ass until they realize you can be trusted. Crappy providers in this industry have exacerbated this 10-fold.

If I have clients emailing me / skyping me / slacking me all day long asking me why a certain document looks a certain way or suggesting changes to a particular document, I literally wouldn't get anything done. My turnaround times would INCREASE.

Even just taking the time to assure them we're in the beginning stages of the draft and nothing they see in the document is anywhere close to what it will look like in the final deliverable is enough time to throw us off schedule.

Just think of what a big name marketing agency would do. Do they give clients access to production throughout the process?

No, they don't.

Instead, they create excitement about a "big reveal" at the end of the project.

Thanks for the thoughts so far everyone, and @stackcash in particular (I was hoping you'd see this thread) - those are some very valid cons.

I've decided against the booking calendar entirely. Kind of intrigued by the idea of the shared doc still but Vin brings up some good points to consider at a larger scale.

Thanks for the thoughts so far everyone, and @stackcash in particular (I was hoping you'd see this thread) - those are some very valid cons.

I've decided against the booking calendar entirely. Kind of intrigued by the idea of the shared doc still but Vin brings up some good points to consider at a larger scale.

Yeah - protect your time, bud.

As far as the calendar option - I think Calendly would probably be a good fit for this. But, again, it can get out of hand. You'll probably be better off just adding orders to a schedule yourself on a first-come, first-served basis.

I would definitely not do this.

People work in many different ways, self employed even more so.
Writers, good writers, also work differently. Some are very methodical and structured, others write when inspiration finds them. Some make a point to write xxxx words a day, others churn out the same in an hour or two on a "writers high".

I would not do it.

You've received some insightful replies already.

Everyone would have a better idea when their articles will be completed, but I could also see this being a nightmare in a lot of ways.

I just put regular clients on a monthly schedule when that works for them. Each month, they know what they can count on being delivered. If they need something done urgently by a certain deadline, I just ask them to let me know. Usually, it isn't hard to make that happen. The main thing is just to be 100% upfront if you know you can't meet a deadline, and give the client a chance to pursue other options. That way when you say something will be delivered, they know they can trust you.

Back