Would you focus on just one or multiple sites when starting out?

Degree
Did you start with 100% focus on one site and branching out later or did you start out with 2+ sites?

What would you do now?

One site. Starting multiple sites when you don't know what you're doing sounds like a great way to piss away your time and money. Once you figure out what you're doing, have your operating procedures in place, and have some cash flow, it's really easy to scale up multiple sites.

To add, when you're starting your resources are most likely limited to a much greater amount, meaning time and money. And with any business, you either do it yourself or you hire someone to do it for you.

If you can spend 1 Resource Unit (RU) per day, and for a business to succeed it needs to receive 250 RU's invested into it, are you better off spending 250 days on one single business before it succeeds, or are you better off trying to build three businesses and waiting 750 days before any of them succeed?

That's the very basics of it. Every time you split your time and attention and money, you add more time until you succeed. Once you succeed, you should start thinking about diversification to some degree, but not before.

You can learn everything you need to learn from one project as you can from 5 projects, including "is it time to start over with a more sensible niche?" which tends to be big mistake people make.

Agreed with the responses above, with a but.

Most successful entrepreneurs try many things and then "focus" once they have identified a clear winner.

The reason why a lot of people fail with that is, they refuse to let a few ships sink. Sunk cost fallacy I guess.

Source: developed a habit of doing lots of things which has held me back but has taught me lots. Now I'm culling my projects/obligations, things are starting to happen.

So an approach you could take is:
1. Identify 3 opportunities
2. Give each a fair go
3. After an 18 month period, identify the winner and kill/sell the losers (don't waste much time selling them for not much money)

I actually started out with three sites (actually four, but two were essentially one site - this was in the days of emds). One was a straight business site, one was a 'location' site (where the business was located) and one was a topic/location site.

All three provided different forms of revenue at different times. The business site kept me going while I accumulated internet marketing skills, the location site provided leads for the business (it was visible and was 'proof' that I knew what I was talking about) as well as some affiliate income and the topic site eventually developed into one of my main earners.

Would I have been more successful more rapidly had I concentrated on the topic site from the outset? Probably. But would I have known what to do? Debatable.

Agree with the others, you need to put everything into one site to begin with, but don't be afraid to jump ship if you discover that your niche is unprofitable or you hate writing about it.

The key is to focus intently on that one niche and that one site so that you can overtake the competition by sheer intensity.

Then as you learn the methods in having success with one site, eventually you'll sort of reach a plateu, where you must decide if you want to break through that, either by learning new skills (say finding different monetization) or if you want to try to replicate what you did with the one site.

Both are valid, but there's less of a guarantee that you will be able to maintain that initial intensity with more sites and as you keep outsourcing, quality will drop somewhat, but being offset by your improved processes and templating.

For me, I will freely admit that I'm starting off with very little idea of what I'm doing, and I'm learning as I go. I am starting with one site to learn from, and the thought process is that it will make my second and third sites (for example) much more efficient and effective.

However, if I started off with three sites, all three of them would suffer from my lack of experience, and I don't really think I would learn much faster to compensate for that.

One site that you attack from different angles until it works.

Many here know my story - display ads model fuelled by SEO traffic.

But what many do not know is that this site started as an offer on an affiliate network that publishers sent traffic to and I paid out per lead.

It didn't work out for a number of reasons as a CPA offer but I knew the niche was solid and there was gold amongst the dirt so I kept digging and the rest is history.

If I had ditched and or had three other sites at the same time I likely would have missed an amazing opportunity that resulted in a major pay day.

I made the mistake of trying to do 5 different sites when starting out.

Wasted time that could have been better spent going all in on one site.

Now I am focussing on one site, solid niche and writing solid content and expect to get a solid return

Suppose you want to succeed as an athlete, would you learn hockey, figure skating and speed skating at the same time, just because they all happen on the ice? Would you add curling?

Same for internet websites. To serve your audience, you need to become an expert in the topic. So learn one topic first and try to succeed. However, if you fail, don't give up, try again with another topic or a second effort.

Definitely one site to start out with. Then build a new one after 6 month potentially. A lot of newbies risk focusing on the wrong niche, why creating more than 1 site can be a good idea. Just don't do it all at the same time, it's a recipe for success unless you have $$$ to spend.

In 6 months, provided you take this stuff seriously, you should be able to put out a decent amount of content. Definitely enough content for it to start aging and start bringing you organic traffic down the road (think 9-12 months from when you publish it).

You'll learn so much in the process!

Back