Would you donate?

GNews

White Hat Genius
BuSo Pro
Degree
Hmm.. Just wondering.

So i have some people who are distant family in the Caribbean where all schools cost money (the good ones). If you've ever spent time on some the islands, outside of the ABCs, you should know what this is about.

Anyhow, there's 2 daughters I want to ensure they have a healthy future away from the prostution cycle and 'grip' of society because they are both very interested in learning and being progressive BUT, there family can't really support it as of late. Somebody made a bad decision, lost the house... figuratively and literally.

Anddd...... To ensure that future and put them in best school locally it would cost $1500 per year which is insane because most people here only make $250 a month OR less

So I want to help by paying their school for at least one year.

Do you guys ever donate to things like this? What's the best way to set something like this up?

I've been paying for light bills at the moment. There's 6 people to provide for. I figured why not try something like this and lock them in a good situation, food everyday, etc. I hate seeing them at home , they study on their own, when i know their minds are so bright.....They can become leaders .

Share tips. Thanks.

One of my biggest motivations in business is being able to lookout for family and friends and people I care about, so as long as you can spare the money it's an easy yes from my point of view.

This doesn't sound like a 'deadbeat mooch brother in law' type of scenario where I'd be hesitant, it sounds like they genuinely could really use the leg up and it will make a noticeable difference in their futures and that's the best kind of giving.

I don't know about the logistics of it, you won't get the tax write-off that you would with other types of donations, as far as I know, unless you found a way to hire them for a project or document their journey on a blog or something (Not a lawyer, not an accountant, just spit balling).

One of my biggest motivations in business is being able to lookout for family and friends and people I care about, so as long as you can spare the money it's an easy yes from my point of view.

This doesn't sound like a 'deadbeat mooch brother in law' type of scenario where I'd be hesitant, it sounds like they genuinely could really use the leg up and it will make a noticeable difference in their futures and that's the best kind of giving.

I don't know about the logistics of it, you won't get the tax write-off that you would with other types of donations, as far as I know, unless you found a way to hire them for a project or document their journey on a blog or something (Not a lawyer, not an accountant, just spit balling).

^^ Agree.

Glad you're making a difference in someone else's life and are in a financial position to do so.

I know you said they are "distant" family but I'd still be cautious and make sure they're spending the money as you intended them to. Depending on day-to-day circumstances (which it sounds like that's how they're living), any influx of money can be used for something else so just make sure they're applying it to their education so they can better themselves and their futures.

If I could donate then I probably would. Education is one of the best investments that you can make in a person's life.

I would try to make your donation conditional on something, either the children's' attendance record, GPA or something else like their parents getting a job.

18 months ago I gave my friend $350 because his license was suspended since he couldn't afford the fine for a speeding ticket. He had just gotten a new job after filing for bankruptcy and losing his business. He has a wife and 2 kids. I didn't want him getting arrested for driving without a license or not being able to drive to his new job.

I told him the money was a loan/gift and I'd like the money back but our friendship wasn't conditional on him paying me back, I was prepared to lose the money. Last month he sent me back my money. He got a $25K retention bonus when the company he worked for was bought out.

I would NOT give money direct. It's not a good idea considering how much money was lost to get here. Te husband had money, got old and left it to the wife, who had NO experience managing such things. In under 8 years I think, it's all been lost. I'm just looking for a way to keep the kids in a good school and with food (in the Caribbean, it's not people CANT EAT, it's just priortization by parents).

I buy food and take them out. However, the school, I'm talking about paying 1 year in whole up front. The kids can walk or ride a bike there. Something easy.

I was thining I coudl set up a GoFundMe type of drive.... offer something in exchange like a free 3 day stay at a house I own for a certain level of donation.. I dunno....

Back