Wordpress pagination to get more pageviews?

Degree
Hi,

I've been testing out some fb ad campaigns, and i've found a niche that can give me $0.03 and below clicks consistently.

Problem is, the content is quite long and the ads are only visible at the top of the article. I'm considering using pagination to be more aggressive and get more clicks.

I hate those sites that do this but who knows maybe my target audience doesn't care. I'm using wordpress for the site (i know, i know..)

So how do I go about it? Googling this, I found that wordpress has it's own next page pagination built in, but it doesn't look like what the big sites are doing.

And what other networks would you recommend? I don't think I can get into taboola yet. Any native ad networks that are easier to get into? Thanks

Try ayboll for native ads.

If you want to copy the big sites look at their source code and see how they are doing it.

Try ayboll for native ads.

If you want to copy the big sites look at their source code and see how they are doing it.

Thanks for the recommendation! It's very easy to get accepted with ayboll. I have my ad codes up and running now.

I did some research and notice the big sites aren't splitting up their posts into lots of pages anymore. Wonder why that is, and if I should rethink my strategy.

The sites on Wordpress that I've seen do it use the built in function and then just use CSS to style the Next & Previous buttons.

I still do see sites using this. If you're on a CPM model, then it's something I would most definitely look into unless I already had a ton of organic traffic. I'd do this for social traffic for sure.

Broke the post into several pages but it's stil not covering the cost of fb ads. Guess I need to think of other ways of monetizing. looking into cpa. I'm at 500 UVs per day now

Well wait a minute now. If a user went to a single page and click an advertisement then the user would be leaving your site. If you broke up the post into multiple pages - How would that increase a user's clicks? Once they click on a single AD they are gone, so whether it's on the single page or page 5 - it's still a single click?

Breaking up the page only works to increase revenue if you have a CPM (Cost Per Thousand views) model - meaning you are getting paid for views of the ad not each click. Once you switch to that model and find networks that offer that it will then make sense to break up a single post into multiple posts. If you aren't on that model all you've done is reduce your bounce rate metric. Moving the ads on your page's layout might have been a better solution.

Broke the post into several pages but it's stil not covering the cost of fb ads. Guess I need to think of other ways of monetizing. looking into cpa. I'm at 500 UVs per day now
7 pages? Jesus. That would piss me off but that's just my opinion of sites like that.

Well wait a minute now. If a user went to a single page and click an advertisement then the user would be leaving your site. If you broke up the post into multiple pages - How would that increase a user's clicks? Once they click on a single AD they are gone, so whether it's on the single page or page 5 - it's still a single click?

Breaking up the page only works to increase revenue if you have a CPM (Cost Per Thousand views) model - meaning you are getting paid for views of the ad not each click. Once you switch to that model and find networks that offer that it will then make sense to break up a single post into multiple posts. If you aren't on that model all you've done is reduce your bounce rate metric. Moving the ads on your page's layout might have been a better solution.

Yup I was thinking along the lines of maybe if they didn't click on the first page they might click on the next one? Haha I'm so clueless. This site is from my journey thread and is making profit from selling physical products. I'm trying to diversify the income because the product's margins are getting lower and lower due to price wars.

7 pages? Jesus. That would piss me off but that's just my opinion of sites like that.

Several pages, mate, not seven. None of them exceed 4 pages, but yeah I agree that's still a lot.

This site is from my journey thread and is making profit from selling physical products. I'm trying to diversify the income because the product's margins are getting lower and lower due to price wars.

No... No... Noooooooooooo. If you are losing ground on your eCommerce product you don't start putting up ads on the site to make up for revenue. You find a way to increase the value - maybe an accessory and complimentary product/service to go along. But by not focusing on the cause of the illness and just the symptom you'll aren't concentrating your efforts on what matters. You need to creatively come up with a way to get the product sale back on track. If that includes a new marketing angle or even a new channel then do it.

If you keep down this route the ONLY foreseeable results is your product sales will continue to decline and your efforts on the "advertising model" side of the house will never live up to what you want. I wrote about this in my old Monetization thread at WF, but that's been closed off. I'm going to see what I can do to get you a copy so you understand what I mean.

^ as @CCarter said and my understanding of it.

You're basically driving traffic away from your site (clicking ads) instead of sending people through your "sales funnel"

So basically ecommerce, no ads unless it's for your own product.

That's my take on it from @CCarter monetization thread.

No... No... Noooooooooooo. If you are losing ground on your eCommerce product you don't start putting up ads on the site to make up for revenue. You find a way to increase the value - maybe an accessory and complimentary product/service to go along. But by not focusing on the cause of the illness and just the symptom you'll aren't concentrating your efforts on what matters. You need to creatively come up with a way to get the product sale back on track. If that includes a new marketing angle or even a new channel then do it.

If you keep down this route the ONLY foreseeable results is your product sales will continue to decline and your efforts on the "advertising model" side of the house will never live up to what you want. I wrote about this in my old Monetization thread at WF, but that's been closed off. I'm going to see what I can do to get you a copy so you understand what I mean.

Thanks for that I really needed some guidance on that. I'm selling using the dropship model so the good thing about that is that I don't have to keep stock, but I'm sacrificing margins by doing so.

The product is priced at $169, but then due to the price wars, it's gone down to $110. I've also heard people selling at $90.

I was doing ok because I've managed to rank a review page 1 position 1. That and the parent company decided to do a massive billboard and tv ad campaign so search interest increased and all of that was funneled to my site via google.

I'm buying from my dropship supplier at $90 each, and they handle the shipping, so I get $30 for each product, which is not bad for free traffic. Recently the postal service increased rates so the supplier charges me $95 for each item.

This combined with the folks who lowball prices are killing my sales. I would love to get my hands on that article if you could find it. Thanks @CCarter!

^ as @CCarter said and my understanding of it.

You're basically driving traffic away from your site (clicking ads) instead of sending people through your "sales funnel"

So basically ecommerce, no ads unless it's for your own product.

That's my take on it from @CCarter monetization thread.
Yeah i'm beginning to see why it's not a good idea. Good thing I saved up the earnings so I'm starting a side project to sell leads to air conditioning contractors if the income from this current one dries up completely.
I usually hate monetizing with adsense, but I got a bit desperate this time.

Thanks bro but the link doesn't seem to work..
EDIT: got the file. thanks, mate! Digging in right now!

Last edited:
Almost all the pagination you've seen over the last year or two on people buying traffic for "24 pictures you cannot believe" is based on putting Adsense ads with arrows next to the arrow to the next page and getting $50+ RPMs on that page from accidental clicks. Not sure why Adsense has been putting up with it though.

http://rumordaily.com/20-super-real...paign=bad-tattoo-1-do&utm_content=31083675184

See those 2 Adsense ads above and below the arrow to the next page? They usually show text ads with big arrows on them. How many accidental clicks do you think those get? That's the dirty secret of pagination right now. All those other ads on the site are nothing compared to the CPM of those 2 Adsense ads on page 1.

EDIT: Just want to clarify that even though they and many other seems to get away with it, try it at your own risk. I'm sure Adsense bans plenty of people for this as well.

Almost all the pagination you've seen over the last year or two on people buying traffic for "24 pictures you cannot believe" is based on putting Adsense ads with arrows next to the arrow to the next page and getting $50+ RPMs on that page from accidental clicks.

I like how fitnessmagazine.com does do it. :D:D

nupHGiT.jpg

Last edited:
Pagination is more than just accidental clicks. Check your "landing page" report in Google analytics. My earnings for that report are higher than for the publisher page report.

That's because the landing page report tallies all earnings on the site for anyone that entered through that page.

Are people clicking other internal links other than my next page button? Yes.

But my paginated landing pages average 1.8 pages per visitor. And those ads on the next page get clicked too.

You don't have to confuse visitors with tricks to get them to click. You will have to thoroughly test though if you're not taking the easy way to high rpm with shitty shortcuts.

Last edited:
What @Ryuzaki said about this more for CPM model. It also gives you a chance for a viewer to see more ads so there is a higher chance of click through.

All the bigger magazine sites now though will put an additional button that says 'view in list mode'/'view on one page' or whatever. This is from visitor backlash (no one likes it) and more ad opportunities. You could also change the ad format if you wanted after they 'view on one page'

Example of sites that give option that rely on both social + search:

Last edited:
Back