Will a .ai domain be restricted by Google to target only Anguilla automatically?

Degree
Will using a .ai domain mean that I will be restricted by google targeting to Anguilla automatically.

The idea for the .ai domain will be to target internationally and use the subdomains/folders for specific regions.

Will I be negatively impacted by using the .ai domain? Will there be any advantage by using the .io TLD instead?
Brand name is specifically want is not available on .com and will be costly, something to consider later.

Will using a .ai domain mean that I will be restricted by google targeting to Anguilla automatically.

The idea for the .ai domain will be to target internationally and use the subdomains/folders for specific regions.

Will I be negatively impacted by using the .ai domain? Will there be any advantage by using the .io TLD instead?
Brand name is specifically want is not available on .com and will be costly, something to consider later.
I can't find the official list as offered by Google any more, seems like they changed the URL it used to be hosted on. But they do maintain a list (or used to) of ccTLDs (country code top level domains) that they treat as generic TLDs, meaning they're have global targeting like your typical .com/org/net combo.

Ones like .tv, .me, .co, .cc, and .ad were among those back in the day. I'd think .io would be too now, but again I've not found an official list that's remotely recent.

I know you can take gTLD's and target them to specific regions, for example you could have a .com target the Anguilla region (done through Search Console), but not take a .ai (assuming it's not treated as generic) and make it act as generic.

I wish I had a better answer for you but maybe this info can help you find more detailed info about it. But yes, a ccTLD will auto-target you to the related region.

If that was a case, tons of hitech companies and startups would not use .ai, and .ai would not become such hot zone on the secondary market with good names going for hundreds and thousands.

For certain sub industries, it's even better tld than .io. Marketing wise i mean.

Ok, I got a response on the google search forum as well. .ai is still country-level targeting. I think the AI startups that are using this are not very SEO focussed and do business through PR marketing.

Thanks, guys.

Back