Why you do this Adwords?

TacoCat

Bueno...
BuSo Pro
Degree
I recently started working with an Adwords account.

They've been running adwords for about half a year and acquired some decent data. They had the brain to set up all the tracking properly, but just didn't follow it.

I ran trough the data and found 2 days where the ROI is close to -100% and a shitload of keywords where they haven't had any purchases, but had spent a lot of money on.

So I eliminated, the low performing keywords, changed the rest from "Broad match" to "Broad match modified" because they were getting a lot of crap clicks.

Eliminated the low performing days.

Sounds good right?

Wrong! my ROI dropped by at least 30%

The CPC tripled! That is the biggest issue.

All the other positive metrics increased, Qual. Score, CTR, Conversion Rate Doubled.

I might set the Max. CPC lower, but at this point I'm lingering on the 3rd average position, and I'm afraid that if I drop under the 3rd, the CTR will plumit.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks.

Broad match will find synonyms and variants that broad match modified won't. Check your search terms, you may have had converting variants that are now cut off with the broad match modified keywords. Those variants may also have a lower CPC.

In the short term, you could turn the broad match back on until you've set up your new keywords based on the search terms.

Broad match will find synonyms and variants that broad match modified won't. Check your search terms, you may have had converting variants that are now cut off with the broad match modified keywords. Those variants may also have a lower CPC.

In the short term, you could turn the broad match back on until you've set up your new keywords based on the search terms.

That is not the case, I already checked it. I know every single keyword where every purchase came from and they're added to the campaign already.

Have you let the campaign spend enough to reach statistical significance after you made those changes?

You did what I call, "too much, too soon" which I have talked about in other places in the past.

For a campaign that is working, but maybe has 1-2 bad days, you can't go in and redo the whole structure and foundation of the campaign..

You do want to go in and maybe cut the 20% that is losing 80% of the month ( so maybe 10-20% of the losing keywords get cut ).

Then you want to go in and build a huge master negative list based on all that data.

You would have been more profitable that way.

However, you changed up the whole account structure turning the kws into Modified Broad. Basically you started from 0 again and reset QS.

You never go full retard my friend.

Even though I have broad match, I've seen it work wonders when it works.

You did what I call, "too much, too soon" which I have talked about in other places in the past.

For a campaign that is working, but maybe has 1-2 bad days, you can't go in and redo the whole structure and foundation of the campaign..

You do want to go in and maybe cut the 20% that is losing 80% of the month ( so maybe 10-20% of the losing keywords get cut ).

Then you want to go in and build a huge master negative list based on all that data.

You would have been more profitable that way.

However, you changed up the whole account structure turning the kws into Modified Broad. Basically you started from 0 again and reset QS.

You never go full retard my friend.

Even though I have broad match, I've seen it work wonders when it works.

You're right. There was a better way that I was unaware of.

The campaign was set up so badly. It wasn't even organized. It jad 1 Ad group named 1# Ad Group and ALL the keywords were under that adgroup with one ad text.

If it had been organized, I wouldn't have gone "Full retard" as you said @eliquid , but in this case I decided that the best course of action would be just to restart it.

A question about keywords and their CPC:

Lets say I have a keyword - blue widgets

Would it have cheaper CPC creating a master Negative keyword list for blue widgets that I don't want to show on and insert the keyword with BROAD match? Instead of just putting in "Broad Match Modified" like I did now?

No

You need to be mindful of "history" in the account. That accounts for SOOOO much.

Making a new campaign with new Broad matches would have been MAYBE not worth it, because it had no history like the other campaign.

As far as full retard, didn't mean it about you. It's actually a quote from a movie. lol

Point is, if a campaign is working but is unorganized ( and its a client account ) and it had 2-3 bad days... leave it be and work with it, not around it.

No

You need to be mindful of "history" in the account. That accounts for SOOOO much.

Making a new campaign with new Broad matches would have been MAYBE not worth it, because it had no history like the other campaign.

As far as full retard, didn't mean it about you. It's actually a quote from a movie. lol

Point is, if a campaign is working but is unorganized ( and its a client account ) and it had 2-3 bad days... leave it be and work with it, not around it.

Haha, I know it's a quote. :D 0 offense taken.

By history in the account, do you mean the history of the ACCOUNT or the history of the specific campaign? I stayed in the same account, I just created a new campaign.

So to summarize, what you're saying is if the campaign is around -10% ROI, it is better, to create new adgroups within the same campaign and organize things within it, rather than creating a new campaign? Am I correct?

Im talking about:

Account history + campaign history + ad history + keyword history, etc. All of it integrated.

It could have been at -10% ROI because of 3 bad ads and 10 bad keywords. It might have needed 110 negatives added to make it profitable, etc. Im not sure since I wasnt in the account.. but I would have done that first before changing the keywords and campaign around to be sure since they had history in everything.

Why wouldn't you take the months of data and build new campaigns around that data with proper organization? Not sure I understand your move here. I'm assuming it was making something? Never make changes off a couple of days of data where the almighty Google is concerned. =/

Good luck man.

@eliquid a quickie...

One of my clients is going to change his website, the links are going to change, so I will have to change them in Adwords as well.

The question here is do I copy the same ads just change the links? So I'm able to keep the previous data?

You will need to double check, but I believe Adwords policy is one domain per adgroup. If the current campaign is organized and performing well, just clone the adgroups and change the URL with Adwords Editor.

You will need to double check, but I believe Adwords policy is one domain per adgroup. If the current campaign is organized and performing well, just clone the adgroups and change the URL with Adwords Editor.
Domain stays the same, the URL's just change.

when you change the domain, adwords considers it a new ad.

Just pause the old ads, copy them, put in the new Domain/URL to make new ads. This way you still have the old ads you can look at the data, but either way you do it.. you will lose the "history" of that ad for your QS, etc.

Back