Why is everybody so hungup on .com domains

Degree
I just reread a previous post of mine

The one thing that @CCarter said was that everything is a traffic source.

Sometimes you want a specific domain name but the .com version is taken.

Why not just get the name you want with an alternate extension, after all, everything is a traffic source.

Traditionally, .com is more brandable from a business point of view.

Just like people shy away from .info because of all the spammy sites that were created using .info back in the day, .com has more perceived value and trust with the end user. In the SERPs, if you have a .net domain at #1 and the .com (owned by someone else) is ranked #2, people may be more apt to click on the .com than .net. Of course, some people may not notice at all.

I view things from more of a business standpoint. Oftentimes, if the .com is taken, then other assets will also be registered, like social media, 2.0 sites, profiles, etc. It may be tougher to get traffic if you have 1 spot on the SERPs but every other result points to the .com and all their social media profiles, directories, etc.

Don't know how competitive your niche is or if the person who has the .com built out a strong profile of social media, etc. or if they just have the website.

You're right though - a traffic source is a traffic source. Is the .org taken?

I agree with @propipper on the point that .com domains are more brandable. I'd like to add that many people treat .com as the default domain extension. Suppose you give someone the name of your business and they decide to search for the site, most likely the person will add a .com at the end of the name.

Majority of sites (75%) have a .com domain and this has helped to build upon its popularity, so users to your site will more easily find it if you use a .com domain than something line .io

I believe it's the most suitable extension especially where you are launching a business website.

If all you're trying to do is get SEO traffic, then yeah, who cares.

If you're building a business I'd recommend the .com every time, thinking back to my days as a regular internet user not into marketing. We trust it more because you see so many lower quality sites NOT on .com.

And you rarely see a real brand not on .com. You might see some legit .orgs out there, but I can't think of a real "big brand" not on a .com.

Also, I think people realize at this point that there's competition to buy .coms. There's a barrier to entry, and leaping over that gives you more trust too.

I buy all sorts of domains depending on the project. .io, .ai, .tech, .es.

I'd rather have a good short name, than a clunky .com, so if you don't have a lot of bank roll (yet) to acquire your brand.com you can always get it later.

.com is "a trusted known" and will help with clickthrough rates.
It's also the standard across the world.
On the other hand, all the other domains are "repurposed" country domains.
While I have no proof, I'd assume this would be a demerit in Google.
So why take the risk? Go with .com if you're building a business.

The only value ".com" has is brand value. Publically available TDLs (so not including .EDU etc) have zero SEO impact but they should be regarded as branded trademarks. ".COM" Has a brand value as the mostly commonly recognized and most memorable TDL. Believe it or not, the last few letters in a web address DO matter, because people almost always have to manually type them in. That's when having .com at the end of your address becomes very useful.

Because .com began long ago for a means for people to look for a website appropriate to their needs since the .com was most likely to be registered. If you also use it, you can get immediate popularity as usually people incorrectly remember the website being .com. it’s a good domain to get recognized among the traffic rich websites.

Back